Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2024, 09:55 PM   #881
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Gio’s playoff career is just embarrassing
Lol he's on the verge of retirement and didn't play a game, did you even watch the series? I mean sure you can comment on his playoff history but this obviously wasn't an example.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 09:55 PM   #882
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
- goes hard on UFA depth/3rd line/3rd pair signings

- squeezes budding star UFA's with dispassionate business like negotiations to get lowest/and therefore short year contracts

- Pays very little for trade acquisitions to bolster line ups for playoffs, often coming up short on most effective trade options, as he tightens the purse strings and ends up buying something at the liquidation store

- But then suddenly when he gets his sights set on a player he likes, whoa boy the purse strings loosen to the tune of 1sts and 2nds like candy

- Goalies; Brad historically puts goalies under "get 'em at a bargain" status.
Brad Treliving has never watched a 7th defenceman he didn't love. His awful PTO signings used to give me so much rage.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #883
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
So, will the Leafs double down on Woll as their goalie next season? Sounds like another experiment - they are starting to run out of time.

Woll is a really good goaltender with sincere all star upside. But he's been injured a lot in his early career and that's a concern. In a cap world though, he may be the type of guy they may have to rely on. If they do make a deal or two, to me it's all about dealing Marner and getting out from Reeves stupid contract. Then upgrading the top of the D with a Marner trade and getting a 3 dman with the money saved on buying out Reeves.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #884
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Incoming textbook BT coaching carousel.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #885
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
- goes hard on UFA depth/3rd line/3rd pair signings

- squeezes budding star UFA's with dispassionate business like negotiations to get lowest/and therefore short year contracts

- Pays very little for trade acquisitions to bolster line ups for playoffs, often coming up short on most effective trade options, as he tightens the purse strings and ends up buying something at the liquidation store

- But then suddenly when he gets his sights set on a player he likes, whoa boy the purse strings loosen to the tune of 1sts and 2nds like candy

- Goalies; Brad historically puts goalies under "get 'em at a bargain" status.
Pretty accurate take. The Hamonic trade still annoys me to this day. He was awful and cost a lot. I will be curious as to who is interested in Marner at 11M.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:57 PM   #886
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know not everyone likes the Leafs. Hell, I was cheering for Boston. But I can’t help but feel for those fans. They’ve suffered more than their fair share.

Lol just kidding. I love their suffering. Go Bruins!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:59 PM   #887
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Brad, you’ve got a great pulse on Huberdeau. He can be yours for the low price of Easton Cowan and a 1st.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:01 PM   #888
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
He ain’t retired yet. I was talking about his career.
That shot missed the net so wide it’s in another county.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:01 PM   #889
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kadri for Knies!

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 10:02 PM   #890
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Incoming textbook BT coaching carousel.
Watch him hire Woodcroft.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 10:03 PM   #891
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This series shows you why the Bruins stars took less money so they'd have enough for some solid defenceman.

Marner at 10.9 is insane. Having a combined extra 5 million from over paying their stars would have maybe got them a solid d man that would have probably been the difference.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:05 PM   #892
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty sure Willy just dropped an F bomb than said ‘####ty’. I do feel a bit bad for the leafs players (not the media). Battled back and looked like they’d win game 7. Nope.
3rd liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:06 PM   #893
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
This series shows you why the Bruins stars took less money so they'd have enough for some solid defenceman.

Marner at 10.9 is insane. Having a combined extra 5 million from over paying their stars would have maybe got them a solid d man that would have probably been the difference.
it is amazing that not one of their supposed stars will take even a dollar less to play there. Doesnt every one want to play there. LOL. BT in charge makes me happy. Hamonic is still in the league. go get him
Old 05-04-2024, 10:09 PM   #894
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Let's not forget when Toronto won a round last year since 2004, it was vs Tampa who had gone to the Cup finals 3 straight times. They were exhausted and just not the same Tampa Bay team. After that much hockey in 3 years, you can't even look at your equipment without almost wanting to vomit.

Leafs blow
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:12 PM   #895
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Woll is a really good goaltender with sincere all star upside. But he's been injured a lot in his early career and that's a concern. In a cap world though, he may be the type of guy they may have to rely on. If they do make a deal or two, to me it's all about dealing Marner and getting out from Reeves stupid contract. Then upgrading the top of the D with a Marner trade and getting a 3 dman with the money saved on buying out Reeves.
How much do you think Reaves makes? They’re getting a number 3 D for a million bucks and change? They can just bury Reaves if it comes to that,
Bs&Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #896
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

When thinking of possible Marner destinations, i cant see many teams pony up assets and take on that contract. Maybe Chicago? Will be interesting as he seems to be the odd man out.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #897
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
it is amazing that not one of their supposed stars will take even a dollar less to play there. Doesnt every one want to play there. LOL. BT in charge makes me happy. Hamonic is still in the league. go get him

If I was a Toronto based player who had an opportunity to sign in Toronto as a UFA as a star, I would take a serious hometown discount.

Sometimes these players forget that they don't NEED the money. Players in this day in age with the media spotlight etc, winning a cup and winning multiple cups in the big smoke makes you beyond a legend. A God amongst men in the largest hockey market.

You write your own ticket fame wise. A lot of these guys just flake out after making the big money.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:16 PM   #898
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
When thinking of possible Marner destinations, i cant see many teams pony up assets and take on that contract. Maybe Chicago? Will be interesting as he seems to be the odd man out.
I think Utah grabs him.
They've got plenty of assets, and I'm sure they're going to be eager to make a splash to establish their intent to not be awful.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:17 PM   #899
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Reeves was making $3.5 for three years, but it's actually $1.4 but comes a UFA in 2027. So yeah, buying him out is unlikely.

Looks like Leafs will have a boatload of money - $34M from what I can see from Capfriendly. So they'll have a ton to spend on whomever they want (that figure includes their LTIR folks).
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:18 PM   #900
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp: