Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 04:26 PM   #2641
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
32 different teams, 32 different lists. Especially this season. After Celebrini at 1, there's no real consensus. There's general perceptions of tiers, but no real consensus.
Yup and I'd say those tiers are more muddy than ever as the season went on.

Guys like Levshunov, Dickenson, Silayev, Eiserman and Lindstrom fell back a bit from the lists in the first half of the season, and guys like Parekh, Buium, Iginla, Yakemchuk, and Helenius seems to move up, to the point where those prior tiers are more like one big mash up now.

But as you said, in the end every team will have their list, and I'd be shocked if any were identical.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:41 PM   #2642
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is it too early to start a 2025 Draft thread?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:05 PM   #2643
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s all moot cuz we’re going to win the Draft Lottery!!!!

Flaming “C” for Celebrini!!!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:44 PM   #2644
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seems like there's a big tier after one and then another after 13
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:55 PM   #2645
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems like the only prospects that are “locked in” are Celebrini at 1st overall and Demidov at 2nd overall. Very little consistency after that. Yakemchuk is a great example… I’ve seen him at 3rd overall on some boards and outside the top 10 on others.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:13 PM   #2646
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It seems like the only prospects that are “locked in” are Celebrini at 1st overall and Demidov at 2nd overall. Very little consistency after that. Yakemchuk is a great example… I’ve seen him at 3rd overall on some boards and outside the top 10 on others.
I would take him over parehk. Yak brings a really interesting tool kit but particularly the hands of a forward.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:43 PM   #2647
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I don't think Demidov is a lock at 2 at all.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 09:17 PM   #2648
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I would take him over parehk. Yak brings a really interesting tool kit but particularly the hands of a forward.
I wouldn't. Parekh is my highest rated D man because at worst I think he becomes Tyson Berry. However his ceiling is the best puck moving D man in the NHL when he hits his prime.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:19 PM   #2649
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't think Demidov is a lock at 2 at all.
Agreed. I think he is clear cut the 2nd best forward available at this draft. Between the amount of great D and the Russia factor he could slide a bit though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 03:20 AM   #2650
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.3):

They came to see Aron Kivharju, but they stayed for the Mitja Jokinen show. The defensive duo of Kiviharju and partner Veeti Vaisanen should have been the marquee pairing at the U-18's, but unfortunately for them, LD Mitja Jokinen decided to throw his own coming-out party, finishing 3rd in tournament scoring with 5 points in 5 games, including his breakout game in a 9-4 loss to Team USA where he had a goal and two assists. Even when he wasn't scoring, MJ showed off his ability to generate chances and play an all-around game, meshing well with partner Niklas Nykyri. Along with Heikki Ruohonen and Konsta Helenius, he was named one of Finland's Three Players of the Tournament. The honor came under dour circumstances, as the hosting Finns were eliminated from the tournament by their arch-enemies, the Swedes, with a 2-1 loss. This was Jokinen's second U-18 appearance, with one assist in 5 games at the 2023 event, and he was the top-scoring D for Finland in last summer's Hlinka Gretzky with 3 points in 5 games. Jokinen, who measures 5'11",168lbs, was 25th in scoring by D in the U20 league this season, 3rd for U-18 defensemen, with 6 goals and 21 points.

Jokinen is a solid all-around defenseman, who isn't particularly flashy, and doesn't possess many dynamic traits, but is very enjoyable to watch. He moves around like a pinball, exploding at loose pucks with his snappy short-area burst. He's blessed with excellent speed in all four directions, with quick edges to spin off of checks and make tight turns. He might not be getting the most power he can out of his mechanics yet though, as his stride looks a little choppy at times, but he's still quite shifty and elusive. With his team installed in the offensive zone, he's very active and will jump into the play with or without the puck to author offensive chances, keep plays alive, and manipulate space for himself and his teammates, with pinches that are usually smart and well-timed. He expertly walks the line with patience to open seams, and he's a smart disributor with sharp vision. Jokinen is a quality playmaker with refined passing skills, but he also owns a bullet of a shot with pinpoint accuracy, and his overwhelming one-timer was on display against the Americans. Even under duress, he's usually calm and poised, and seems to love having the puck on his blade. He's strong on the puck, and a gifted stickhandler with tight protection skills who can move around in small areas like he's playing ringette- he employs a cerebral possession game, and wields deception to make room to move.

MJ uses his speed in the defensive zone, along with a well-timed, active stick to be disruptive, and can guide attackers to the outside to make his stops at the boards. He is able to keep good gap control on his opponents, and snuff entries. In retrievals, he scans well to get the lay of the land, and is able to shake off opponents to either skate it out through the neutral zone, or make one his accurate breakout passes. He's competitive and hard-working, with no fear of battling in the greasy areas, but many of his issues stem from his lack of size. He has all kinds of trouble defending his net, with an inability to push attackers out of the crease, and he gets rather easily overpowered in physical battles. In the defensive zone, he sometimes has trouble identifying his man, and even when he does, he can lose them in traffic- he's sometimes out of position to properly defend against the rush as well. In the other end of the rink, he can pinch at inopportune times, leaving his team a man down if the play goes the other way. He's a good puck-mover who keeps the play flowing north, but doesn't do anything at an elite level, and can't yet be called a top-tier offensive defenseman- but there's big potential here. I think he could one day be a good second-pairing defender with some powerplay duty if he gets stronger and improves his awareness in the D zone. Look for him in the fourth, or fifth round.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-04-2024 at 03:29 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 07:16 AM   #2651
Gern Blankston
Draft Pick

Does anyone know when Capfriendl will remove the astericks on the draf picks. In particular Calgary won't be sending their first to Montreal this year. Also I beleive Florida will give their first this year to Philly so the will be keeping their first in 2025, reducing the amount of sub conditions. Some of the other picks depend on how the playoffs finish.
Gern Blankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:41 AM   #2652
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping up with all the remaining conditions...

For the Conditions on the Tanev and Hanifin trades:
If Dallas wins tomorrow:
  • The condition from the Hanifin trade will not be met and the Flames will get Vegas's 2024 third rounder (84th overall).
  • The condition from the Tanev trade will still be open (DAL 2026 3rd if Dallas goes to 2024 Final).
If Vegas wins tomorrow:
  • The condition from the Hanifin trade will be met and the Flames will get Vegas's 2025 second rounder.
  • The condition from the Tanev trade will not be met and the Flames will not get Dallas's 2026 third rounder.

For the Conditions on the Lindholm trade:
  • If VAN loses Second Round: VAN 2024 1st will be 25th if all 3 other Division winners (NYR, DAL, FLA) also fail to advance to the Conference Finals -- It will move down one spot for each Division winner who advances to the Conference Finals.
  • If VAN loses Western Conference Final and either NYR or FLA lose Eastern Conference Final: VAN 2024 1st will be 29th
  • If VAN loses Western Conference Final and either CAR or BOS/TOR lose Eastern Conference Final: VAN 2024 1st will be 30th
  • If VAN loses Stanley Cup Final: VAN 2024 1st will be 31st
  • If VAN wins Stanley Cup: Hell will freeze over and VAN 2024 1st will be 32nd
Also, if VAN loses Second Round, Flames will receive New Jersey's 2024 4th round pick (107th overall) and if VAN wins Second Round, Flames will receive Vancouver's 2024 3rd round pick (94th to 97th overall depending on Vancouver's final result).

How that will play out overall:
  • 25/26/27/28 + 107 (VAN lose 2nd round)
  • 29 + 94 (VAN & NYR/FLA lose 3rd round)
  • 30 + 95 (VAN & CAR/BOS/TOR lose 3rd round)
  • 31 + 96 (VAN lose 4th round)
  • 32 + 97 (VAN win SC)
Old 05-04-2024, 12:05 PM   #2653
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

have to laugh at Cole Eiserman's stat line at the U18s. 8 goals, 1 assist and a +1 in a tournament in which the US have outscored their opponents 35-9 ... he's a hell of a goalscorer, I give him that. But if you pick him, you better pray that translates to the NHL ... if it doesn't, you're ####ed.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:22 PM   #2654
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will probably slide into the late teens and will be proclaimed as on of the steals of the draft. Time will tell as nobody has a crystal ball and knows how these players will fare as pros.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:32 PM   #2655
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former Flame Olli Jokinen had some heady praise for Helenius at the U18s. He thinks he's gonna be a star in the NHL.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:39 PM   #2656
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Former Flame Olli Jokinen had some heady praise for Helenius at the U18s. He thinks he's gonna be a star in the NHL.
It’s not out of the realm of possibility he’s picked before 9. It only takes one team ahead of them to fall in love with him. That’s one good thing about this draft is that if he or Iginla gets picked earlier than projected, then a higher projected prospect may fall into the Flames lap.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:34 PM   #2657
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Agreed. I think he is clear cut the 2nd best forward available at this draft. Between the amount of great D and the Russia factor he could slide a bit though.
His recent knee injury is also a consideration.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #2658
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
His recent knee injury is also a consideration.
I think with his talent level it won't affect where he is picked. As far as talent up front goes it is Celebrini and him, then everybody else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 03:09 PM   #2659
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
have to laugh at Cole Eiserman's stat line at the U18s. 8 goals, 1 assist and a +1 in a tournament in which the US have outscored their opponents 35-9 ... he's a hell of a goalscorer, I give him that. But if you pick him, you better pray that translates to the NHL ... if it doesn't, you're ####ed.
I have no doubt it translates to the NHL. The problem with this player is he does one thing but he does it at an elite level and that's score goals. He never looks to set up teammates and he doesn't give a rats ass about backchecking either. He wants the puck all the time. He reminds me of a healthy Laine except they are very different in that Laine is just a lazy ass player with a great release and Eiserman is a very selfish player with a great release. I think he going to score in bunches in the NHL and will be dominant on a power play but he isn't going to do you any favours five on five and he won't be very popular with his teammates. Earlier in the year I had him top 10 because his goal scoring ability is that freakishly good but the other intangibles has him more likely in the 15-20 range imo now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 03:21 PM   #2660
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Eiserman is the ultimate boom/bust pick in the draft this year.

Undeniable scoring talent. But he needs a feeder to feed him pucks.

There's too many other options to risk 9th OA on Eiserman.

Watch, I say this now and guess who's name Conny calls draft day?

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft