Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM   #61
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames won the same amount of games this year as last. (Lots of OT losses though which is more fun to watch)

I guess I just don't think the attendance difference between 85-90 pts and 70-75 pts is that much.

Its 6-7 wins less a season (so 3-4 home wins) That's less then 1 a month.

I think the attendance damager is already done/on a trend. They need to get more exciting and some core superstars to get fan interest back up.

Imagine being in charge of marketing to next season - Who do you build your campaigns around...
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:41 AM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
bUt EdUcAteD hOcKeY mArKeT.
Not a dig at you, I have always hated the educated hockey market arguement that people would willingly spend thousands to guarantee watching crappy hockey.
A rebuild is needed and the Flames will need to significantly cheapen up seats to get the Dome full. I don’t think they will though.
There is almost zero chance tickets will get cheaper.

I’m not complaining - it was just the end of a cycle for me. I wasn’t a long time seasons ticket holder, just a few seasons of a shared pair of great seats. I mostly got in because of the seat location. I may well go to more select games. Heck, I’m going tomorrow in different seats to a nothing game.

When the Flames start winning, sales will increase. It’s just how it is. But this is why owners dislike the tank. When the hard choice over entertainment dollars is made, people look at the product, not what the product will be in 6 years.

The argument that this season was as bad as last points wise? Well sure, but it takes a little while for poor results to manifest in poor ticket sales. Now, maybe attendance won’t drop, but I suspect Flames fans are a little less willing to attend year after year as the Leaf fans were.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #63
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The Flames won the same amount of games this year as last. (Lots of OT losses though which is more fun to watch)

I guess I just don't think the attendance difference between 85-90 pts and 70-75 pts is that much.

I think the attendance damager is already done/on a trend. They need to get more exciting and some core superstars to get fan interest back up.

Imagine being in charge of marketing to next season - Who do you build your campaigns around...
Well there is this player named Tij that we may have a shot at. I'm sure he would sell a few tickets.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:45 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Well there is this player named Tij that we may have a shot at. I'm sure he would sell a few tickets.
Also a lottery win (Gary are you listening)?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:55 AM   #65
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There is almost zero chance tickets will get cheaper.

I’m not complaining - it was just the end of a cycle for me. I wasn’t a long time seasons ticket holder, just a few seasons of a shared pair of great seats. I mostly got in because of the seat location. I may well go to more select games. Heck, I’m going tomorrow in different seats to a nothing game.

When the Flames start winning, sales will increase. It’s just how it is. But this is why owners dislike the tank. When the hard choice over entertainment dollars is made, people look at the product, not what the product will be in 6 years.

The argument that this season was as bad as last points wise? Well sure, but it takes a little while for poor results to manifest in poor ticket sales. Now, maybe attendance won’t drop, but I suspect Flames fans are a little less willing to attend year after year as the Leaf fans were.
I attended one game this year (the Kipper game). I'm happy with the direction of the franchise and, with an injection of young talent and a much clearer vision, I'm sure I'll start going to more games as soon as next year.

Going to games of a tweener, aging, aimless team was not the definition of fun for me, and not why I watch hockey. A young team with a prospect (or prospects) to dream about? I'm in, and if we do it right, season tickets is something I'd consider very soon.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:59 AM   #66
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I attended one game this year (the Kipper game). I'm happy with the direction of the franchise and, with an injection of young talent and a much clearer vision, I'm sure I'll start going to more games as soon as next year.

Going to games of a tweener, aging, aimless team was not the definition of fun for me, and not why I watch hockey. A young team with a prospect (or prospects) to dream about? I'm in, and if we do it right, season tickets is something I'd consider very soon.
I was at the same point this season. This is the first year I didnt pay for any games, and actually didnt watch some games on TV

It wasnt just they were bad, its the type of team they had.

I would watch and support a different type of bad team.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 AM   #67
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’m as big a fan as anyone, but I gave up tix for next year. It’s a lot of money to watch that live.
I'm in the same boat. Couldn't justify the cost anymore ... especially when I could buy tickets some nights on Fans First in my exact row, for half of my cost.
Also, gonna be priced out of those seats in the new building anyways.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #68
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to one game this year, the ticket was a birthday present. Flames lost 5-0. I told my wife prior to getting the ticket that I did not want to go to a game for the foreseeable future, as the Flames are not fun to watch.
I can honestly say, I find my desire to watch this team is at an all time low. They will be a middle of the pack team for a long, long time, unless there is a full rebuild, done right.
And I have zero idea what right is.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:23 AM   #69
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I went to one game this year, the ticket was a birthday present. Flames lost 5-0. I told my wife prior to getting the ticket that I did not want to go to a game for the foreseeable future, as the Flames are not fun to watch.
I can honestly say, I find my desire to watch this team is at an all time low. They will be a middle of the pack team for a long, long time, unless there is a full rebuild, done right.
And I have zero idea what right is.
What in your mind would be a full rebuild compared to what happened at the trade deadline?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:28 AM   #70
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What in your mind would be a full rebuild compared to what happened at the trade deadline?
This is a very good point and there is an argument that the tear down is just beginning.

As far as still tearing down goes, apparently Mangiapane and Markstrom are as good as gone.
Will anyone be really surprised if Coleman, Weegar and/or Kadri ask to be moved?
What are the chances that Backlund, Kuzmenko, Sharangovich and Vladar are on the roster in 2 or 3 years?
Is Andersson having fun?

Lets not discuss Kylington, whatever he decides he wants to do (extend/move on, play/not play) is fine with me. He’s a home run either way. Just super impressed that he has made it back to the league, anything else after this is gravy.

The point is that it's really possible that the changes are just starting and even though I have faith that the management crew can do a good job, I just don’t thing that it will only be 3 or 4 years. I do reserve the right to be ecstatic if it happens that quickly though.
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:28 AM   #71
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

8th or 9th??

You guys are funny.

I keep telling you, the Flames are picking 1st.

They're due
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:50 AM   #72
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Huberdeau's production more or less the same as last year, except he's -29 now. It's all downhill from here on
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:53 AM   #73
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Huberdeau's production more or less the same as last year, except he's -29 now. It's all downhill from here on
The worst contract in the league and it ain't really close.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #74
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only real reason to keep season tickets is to ensure you have them when demand goes up. It’s an investment for sure.

I used to share 4 tickets with 3 other guys. As the Flames got worse, they dropped out one by one, with me picking up their shares. I ended up with all 4 just before they went to the finals vs. TB. My former partners wanted back in then. Too bad, so sad. I’ve had those 4 since then, and will keep them through thick and thin, to ensure I keep decent seats.

If I could opt out for a few years and ensure I could get back in with the same seats, sure I would do that. But that’s not how it works.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

The key for me is turning hopeless into plucky young team that's fun to watch.

That doesn't take 5-10 years if you do it properly.

They don't have to be a playoff threat to have the heart of the city if they have good young pieces doing good things.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:56 AM   #76
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
True, but his second half was better than his first half.

He’s not great, but is an NHL player, just overpaid.

And +/- is a poor indicator of play, especially on a poor team.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 10:07 AM   #77
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won the same amount of games as last year, but this years team is younger, cheaper and the organization on the whole has a lot more assets to build with moving forward.

Conroy turned 5 aging, expensive, expiring assets into 15+ futures.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 10:43 AM   #78
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The unfortunate reality is that as long as we're carrying Huberdeaus contract we're not going to be a serious threat. It's just too big and he doesn't bring enough for it as a perimeter offensive minded winger.

I doubt he's going to magically get alot better as he ages into his kid and late 30s.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:52 AM   #79
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
8th or 9th??

You guys are funny.

I keep telling you, the Flames are picking 1st.

They're due
5% chance?

Not bad odds. Would be wonderful to see it actually happen.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:58 AM   #80
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
The unfortunate reality is that as long as we're carrying Huberdeaus contract we're not going to be a serious threat. It's just too big and he doesn't bring enough for it as a perimeter offensive minded winger.

I doubt he's going to magically get alot better as he ages into his kid and late 30s.
I'd guess his contract doesn't interfere with what they're doing in any of years 2-6 on the contract.

Last two maybe.

And personally I look at differentials. How much of Huberdeau's contract is bad?

Last year arguably 40%.
This year I think closer to 25%.

He may be a problem in years 7 and 8 but at least that's easier to buy out or move near the end of the term.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: