Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 03:24 PM   #181
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My go to is buy a rich friend's old Bondars furniture when they buy new stuff.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:25 PM   #182
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pasote Blanco Tequila. Anyone come across it locally for purchase?
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:26 PM   #183
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
My go to is buy a rich friend's old Bondars furniture when they buy new stuff.
Maybe I should get third in line behind you...do you have kids or cats?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:28 PM   #184
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hah, I do have a cat but she learns quick. Most of the time. Definitely not interested in Brick stuff, will take a look at some of the others, thanks! I see Costco has couches, but would maybe like to try them first...
The good thing with Costco is that sale/clearance prices on Costco furniture can be very attractive and they deliver to your home. With their return policy you can try it out and return it easily if there are problems or you don't like it. The only hassle is that you have to manage to get the couch to a warehouse to do the return.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:28 PM   #185
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Consignment Gallery has been a good one for me to buy used castoffs from rich people.

https://www.consignmentgallery.ca/co...les-and-chairs
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:37 PM   #186
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
No. I do host a fight club though.

Dammit, I wasn't supposed to talk about that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:42 PM   #187
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

On Consignment Gallery the one funny thing I've noticed is often times the furniture is huge and made for big Bearspaw houses or whatever. I doubt some of that stuff would even get in the front door of my 1969 bungalow; however, it's still worth checking out. One of my favourite chairs came from there.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:47 PM   #188
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've bought our last couple of couches from Birchwood/Whitaker and they're still in great shape despite years of abuse from kids and cats. They are locally made here in Calgary and the construction just feels very solid. We bought floor models, and they were basically the same price as what you'd get at Crate and Barrel or West Elm...but considerably better build.

Ours is similar to this one from that Consignment Gallery link Silver posted:
https://www.consignmentgallery.ca/pr...950727e1&_ss=r

The velvet fabric on these couches seem to be a really good material if you have cats....unlike the rougher textured fabrics, they don't seem to have much interest in scratching this.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:00 PM   #189
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If you're looking at leather we got one from this place online: https://www.hydeline.ca/

Pretty happy with it, though we got it during a big sale.

Also avoid wayfair.ca, I've tried them a few times and almost everything I've got has been poor to terrible.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:04 PM   #190
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If you're looking at leather we got one from this place online: https://www.hydeline.ca/

Pretty happy with it, though we got it during a big sale.

Also avoid wayfair.ca, I've tried them a few times and almost everything I've got has been poor to terrible.
Do they have a place to buy in Calgary? Their retailer search is only showing me BC options.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:12 PM   #191
photon

Exp:

They don't no, so it's a bit of a risk. They told me I can return it for free they'll come get it if I don't like it.

But my wife really really really wanted the tufted look and traditional or transitional furniture is REALLY hard to find these days.

The other one that had ones I liked (but weren't traditional) was Structube. They had a leather one I liked.

Ashleys is a bit above The Brick without going into the more expensive ones, but I wouldn't call them great quality these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:15 PM   #192
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Interior Living on 42nd ave has some decent stuff. Some of it is expensive, but not all of it is.

We've been looking for a couch on and off for a couple of years (just havent had the desire to actually spend the money yet). Oddly enough Sofa Land wasn't near as cheezy a place as I expected it to be upon first glance. Lots of selection.

If you have crazy F-U money, or are very eccentric, go to Roche Bobois, Luxuries of Europe, or Domaine and see how you can spend tens of thousands on a couch
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:16 PM   #193
photon

Exp:

We almost got this one from Costco, but the online one was quite a bit cheaper during the sale.

https://www.costco.ca/allington-4-pi...100518773.html

I do still kinda wish we'd gotten the sectional.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:16 PM   #194
photon

Exp:

revolve furnishings was another place that had some nice stuff.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:20 PM   #195
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
They don't no, so it's a bit of a risk. They told me I can return it for free they'll come get it if I don't like it.

But my wife really really really wanted the tufted look and traditional or transitional furniture is REALLY hard to find these days.

The other one that had ones I liked (but weren't traditional) was Structube. They had a leather one I liked.

Ashleys is a bit above The Brick without going into the more expensive ones, but I wouldn't call them great quality these days.
We bought some wooden chairs from Structube and the quality was terrible all 4 chairs had broken legs within a couple years. I had previously bought chairs from Ikea and they lasted 10 years before the fabric on them wore out. Structurally they were as strong as the day I bought them.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #196
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Only problem with Ikea couches - like their mattresses - is they're hard and not comfy at all. I like to flop onto a couch and kinda sink into it. Ikea couches are barely more comfortable than sitting on the bleachers at McMahon Stadium.

And I love Ikea, btw. Have an Ikea kitchen, some chairs, master bedroom suite (20 years old at this point), and both my kids' rooms. They do generally have awesome stuff.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:30 PM   #197
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Time for a new couch, any furniture stores to check out or avoid? Went to the big show room place at Northhill, some decent options there but want to shop around a bit.
That showroom place is hella expensive. And all the cult like photos of the owner and his family plastered everywhere is super weird. We went there when looking for a couch, actually found one we loved, googled it when we got home and found it for $1200 cheaper at another store. Can't remember the name unfortunately. It was off 32nd Ave NE though.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:31 PM   #198
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Ikea is great for a lot of things...but I find them pretty terrible for couches. The cheap construction quality just makes them really uncomfortable, and they look junky too. I happened to be there a few days ago, and was thinking to myself that all the couches looked even worse than before... they looked like they were pre-used in a dorm for 10 years before they hit the showroom.

Quote:
If you're looking at leather we got one from this place online
Would not recommend a leather couch if you have a cat!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:33 PM   #199
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
We bought some wooden chairs from Structube and the quality was terrible all 4 chairs had broken legs within a couple years. I had previously bought chairs from Ikea and they lasted 10 years before the fabric on them wore out. Structurally they were as strong as the day I bought them.
Ah that's too bad, they had a neat sofa where the backs were low profile but could be folded up for a full back that I liked (too modern looking so I was overruled).

Agree with IKEA, I've got some book shelves still of theirs that I can't justify replacing since they look brand new still. Anything I've ever got from there I've always been super happy with.

Have an IKEA kitchen in a suited basement.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our upstairs couch is leather and our cat has mostly left it alone. What I'm actually looking for is a 3 seat couch with the end recliners. That's about all that fits in the space. The current one is leather and 17 years old, but my butt impression is a bit deep now and it's coming apart from use(the couch, not my butt!). I've replaced the seat foam twice on my side, but I think the springs are just shot.