Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 04:09 PM   #2881
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I think you get 60 days or something like that, but the deadline is April 4th.

Then they submit it to the city whos job it is to verify the signatures, which I imagine will be an absolute ####show. (Not to mention expensive, they're hiring more temporary clerks to help process it) I read they've set up in places like Crossiron Mills and gladly took signatures from people outside of Calgary. There was also a guy on reddit to claimed to have signed it 20 times
The bill to the city is estimated to be between $150-200k to process and verify the signatures.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 04:36 PM   #2882
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they bother verifying say 400k signatures? Clearly not enough to meet the requirements, so you can skip that part altogether?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:07 PM   #2883
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default MF YYC Politics - there, I mega did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Do they bother verifying say 400k signatures? Clearly not enough to meet the requirements, so you can skip that part altogether?

How do you think that’ll play out if they don’t go through every single one? I have no doubt these guys will go full into Trump-supporter mode, and considering all of their employment statuses, they have nothing better to with their time than cause a scene.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 05:09 PM   #2884
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I heard from one of the signature gatherers a few weeks ago that they were just shy of 100k, and wouldn't obviously get enough. Their new goal was to exceed 176k, the number of votes she got, in order to show there are more who don't support than do.

Hopefully city doesn't waste money counting if it doesn't reach quota.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:34 PM   #2885
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
lol, 'provided upon request with understanding of strict non-disclosure' OOOOPS

Also

-candidate for major
He was more than that, curious that they left it out.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:35 PM   #2886
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

so, if they have less than 500,000 signatures, just toss the whole thing in the garbage.

Boom, just saved the city $200k.

I should run for mayor.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 PM   #2887
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Construction will reduce 4th Avenue flyover to single lane for 18 months April 2nd - CGY Herald

I don't commute from that side, will this be pretty ugly for them?
What takes a year and a half to repair? It’s not the Confederation Bridge for cripes sake.

I’m sure like several other street repairs they will close the lane and nothing will happen for weeks.

If this was a US city work would go through the night under the lights.

The residents of this City just bend over and take it.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:28 PM   #2888
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What takes a year and a half to repair? It’s not the Confederation Bridge for cripes sake.

I’m sure like several other street repairs they will close the lane and nothing will happen for weeks.

If this was a US city work would go through the night under the lights.

The residents of this City just bend over and take it.
This is what I don't understand. I'm also not in construction but I don't see why high impact locations like this can't be either 24/7 construction or else two crews working 4 x 12 hours days alternating shifts of 4 days on / 4 off. But I come from a world where this is the norm and it seems odd when it doesn't happen elsewhere.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:43 PM   #2889
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
so, if they have less than 500,000 signatures, just toss the whole thing in the garbage.

I should run for mayor.
Not the garbage. The shredder.

If they claim there are enough signatures, they pay for the count if it ISN’T enough.

If they claim less than the requirement, stick everything immediately into the shedder, don’t even open the package.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:13 PM   #2890
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I should run for mayor.
Yeah, I can’t see a good reason to go through the verification process if there are definitely not enough in the first place. I can understand that if they submit 600k signatures, it’s got to be done. But you roll in with say the 200k their goal is, and that’s straight into recycling. What am I missing? Why spend the $150-200k to verify the names?
Old 03-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #2891
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they claim go have more than 175k signatures I think it's very likely Gondek demands they verify them. Since the number can only go down not up, if a bunch are declared invalid that can only make it seem better - although I suppose it does keep it in the news.

The law as written makes it impossible for a recall to succeed, but if they get more signatures to recall her than she got votes that's a pretty significant question mark on her ability to get re-elected.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:26 PM   #2892
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If they claim go have more than 175k signatures I think it's very likely Gondek demands they verify them. Since the number can only go down not up, if a bunch are declared invalid that can only make it seem better - although I suppose it does keep it in the news.

The law as written makes it impossible for a recall to succeed, but if they get more signatures to recall her than she got votes that's a pretty significant question mark on her ability to get re-elected.
Then she can pay? I don’t see any reason other than ego to spend the money at that point. I’m not interested in signing the petition (I think recall is bad legislation), but she might have re-election issues regardless of the number of signers.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #2893
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Construction will reduce 4th Avenue flyover to single lane for 18 months April 2nd - CGY Herald

I don't commute from that side, will this be pretty ugly for them?

And the Elbow bridge in Mission will close entirely for 6 months
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:46 PM   #2894
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I heard from one of the signature gatherers a few weeks ago that they were just shy of 100k, and wouldn't obviously get enough. Their new goal was to exceed 176k, the number of votes she got, in order to show there are more who don't support than do.

Hopefully city doesn't waste money counting if it doesn't reach quota.

If the anecdotes about people signing multiple times are true it would be good to see an official count. These might be Trumpian estimates.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:43 PM   #2895
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering Gondek only got a plurality of voters last time (45%), making a symbolic statement that basically says that... again... doesn't really seem to have much of a point.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 AM   #2896
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point is they've still successfully attacked Gondek so she doesn't stand much chance of re-election, and they've built a huge contact list of voters they know are easy to sway in their direction for the next election, when they focus all resources on one despicable POS of a person to put in the Mayors chair. If Gondek does decide to run again, the vote splitting on the sane side will all but assure a loss. In short, we are already ####ed, we just don't know how hard and by who.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #2897
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The point is they've still successfully attacked Gondek so she doesn't stand much chance of re-election, and they've built a huge contact list of voters they know are easy to sway in their direction for the next election, when they focus all resources on one despicable POS of a person to put in the Mayors chair. If Gondek does decide to run again, the vote splitting on the sane side will all but assure a loss. In short, we are already ####ed, we just don't know how hard and by who.
Truthfully, I was pretty confused how she got elected in the first place, and thought she stood near 0 chance of re-election from day one. She wasn't a strong candidate, but basically managed to consolidate the anti-upc strain running through the city, because at their hearts a lot of people understand how terrible the UPC is at governing and when you don't have to attached a party identity to the name, people will vote against those who align with their stupid ideas.

This whole recall thing is basically a basically an exercise in seeking out all of the petulant and immature in the city, because the UPC aligned people looking for wins in local elections, know those are the people they need to carry them in the vote.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 08:03 AM   #2898
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be on brand if the petitioners were charged with violating privacy rules with respect to using the information the petitioner signers used. Assuming there wasn’t some other fine print involved.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:17 AM   #2899
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, ya right. Consequences? In this province? For TBA/UCP actions? I know you aren't new here, but...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:23 AM   #2900
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I should run for mayor.
I'd recall you
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post: