Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2024, 08:15 AM   #381
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Ruzicka has been a lazy, inconsistent player since he was first scouted in his teens. Doubt it has anything to do with cocaine.
it's just frustrating. He has all the tools to be a good NHLer, but he probably will never become one because of laziness, a low motor and, judging by that video, some other issues. Too bad.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:20 AM   #382
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I just need some smelling salts before my shift!!"

- "Thats not what those are...oh God..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:21 AM   #383
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jokes aside, I liked Ruzicka, but he was inconsistent.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:22 AM   #384
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"I just need some smelling salts before my shift!!"

- "Thats not what those are...oh God..."
I shouldn’t laugh but that was funny.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 AM   #385
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Ruzicka has been a lazy, inconsistent player since he was first scouted in his teens. Doubt it has anything to do with cocaine.
It absolutely could. If he lacks commitment and spends too much time partying, it definitely could result in lazy and inconsistent play.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:30 AM   #386
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I shouldn’t laugh but that was funny.
Thats when you know its good!

Old 02-23-2024, 08:31 AM   #387
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Ugh, poor kid.

That's a bad mistake to made, but maybe a cry for help? Or just too ####ed up to realize what he was posting.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:36 AM   #388
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if this could be a blessing in disguise as they say.
This incident might be the kick needed to re-adjust his priorites.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:37 AM   #389
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming this is part of the reason why the Flames didn’t try to protect him from being picked up on waivers.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:43 AM   #390
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Assuming this is part of the reason why the Flames didn’t try to protect him from being picked up on waivers.
How would the Flames know what he does in his spare time? The answer is more likely based on his on-ice performance.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #391
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Rooney forced the club to waive Ruzicka by being a much better 4th line C. AR dictated things with his own play.

there was no way to "protect" him from getting claimed other than not sending him down.

Doubt the club was aware of his, or anyones, off-ice activities. At least i hope they aren't unless its brought to them by someone in the org.

As for this is a "hockey culture" thing, is it not just a "culture thing" and hockey players are just part of it like everyone else?
Old 02-23-2024, 08:49 AM   #392
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't go so far as to say he has a cocaine problem any more than other players. He very well could but it's a fairly common drug for wealthy athletes. Most are smart enough not to publicize it. In saying that, I'd expect a public apology from him and an announcement of entering the assistance program to help potentially save his career.

I look at it as a social media issue. Taking video and subsequently posting it to Instagram, whether accidentally public or not, seems like a generational thing. In my experience, I never had the thought that, "someone's gotta see this" while partaking in such activities during my younger years. This was at a time Facebook had only just became a thing.

Last edited by Atodaso; 02-23-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atodaso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:53 AM   #393
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
...clip....

As for this is a "hockey culture" thing, is it not just a "culture thing" and hockey players are just part of it like everyone else?
I agree. It's a "got lots of money culture" thing.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:59 AM   #394
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
He's saying the quiet part of hockey culture out loud by posting that video.
Or just culture. I hate seeing bad behaviour ascribed to "hockey culture" when this is fairly widespread. People do it at university. Do it when single in their 20's. I live in a suburban neighbourhood in the Bay Area. I see fellow moms and dads do this at parties, pre-concert, etc. And microdose. And gummy. It's more widespread and open now than at any time. I don't condone it to be clear.

Anyway, dumb dumb move by him. Huge CLM.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:59 AM   #395
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I agree. It's a "got lots of money culture" thing.
Can confirm. I don't have money and don't do cocaine.
Cycling76er is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:00 AM   #396
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen the picture or video because it was removed. It strikes me like a cry for help, and I hope he gets it.

I don't think it's fair to attribute his lack of success in the NHL to substance abuse. We simply don't know if it was the cause or the result of his career stagnating. Obviously the pressure and expectations from the NHL were too much.

I also have a difficult time with regular people calling NHLers lazy. The amount of work, pain, and commitment involved to simply get to the NHL is staggering.

His agent will have to do a lot of work in the upcoming days. Hopefully it includes finding help for his client.

PS: Ruzicka played 3 games for the Coyotes averaging a little over 8mins, 0 points, -1.

DeSimone still didn't play a game.

Last edited by gvitaly; 02-23-2024 at 09:07 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:30 AM   #397
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post

I also have a difficult time with regular people calling NHLers lazy. The amount of work, pain, and commitment involved to simply get to the NHL is staggering.
Using the word lazy itself is recursively lazy.

As someone who does struggle with consistency in just about everything I do, I've certainly heard it said about me by neurotypical people who've never had to overthink their actuals due to crippling perfectionism, who've never experienced the absolutely miserable feeling that mundane tasks can trigger, especially when not medicated, who don't know just how genuine my (very late in life) diagnosis is.

Ruzicka is an idiot for not only doing hard drugs but posting them online. No doubt.

But no one knows exactly what is going on in his head or body when he's on the ice. I am just disappointed because the guy in early 2022-23 who was playing on a line with Lindholm and Toffoli didn't just look like he belonged in the NHL, but was actually the straw that was stirring the drink with those two.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:40 AM   #398
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

As someone who does struggle with consistency in just about everything I do, I've certainly heard it said about me by neurotypical people who've never had to overthink their actuals due to crippling perfectionism, who've never experienced the absolutely miserable feeling that mundane tasks can trigger, especially when not medicated, who don't know just how genuine my (very late in life) diagnosis is.

Ruzicka is an idiot for not only doing hard drugs but posting them online. No doubt.

But no one knows exactly what is going on in his head or body when he's on the ice. I am just disappointed because the guy in early 2022-23 who was playing on a line with Lindholm and Toffoli didn't just look like he belonged in the NHL, but was actually the straw that was stirring the drink with those two.
I just wanted to add, that you're not alone. I hope you can gain some solace in knowing that.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 10:03 AM   #399
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

What is your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking. Can PM if you want.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #400
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Or just culture. I hate seeing bad behaviour ascribed to "hockey culture" when this is fairly widespread. People do it at university. Do it when single in their 20's. I live in a suburban neighbourhood in the Bay Area. I see fellow moms and dads do this at parties, pre-concert, etc. And microdose. And gummy. It's more widespread and open now than at any time. I don't condone it to be clear.

Anyway, dumb dumb move by him. Huge CLM.
Fair. As a few posts above yours said, it's just part of culture in general
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post: