Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #5761
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Can you get a long stick and bash it a bit from the ground? Or throw stuff at it? Might kinda shake things loose and get it working again until spring.
I could be wrong, but I believe being bashed to #### was the issue that requires that thing to be repaired in the first place...

But throwing things at it... lol. I immediately had the image of the janitor on the roof throwing down all the balls and the kids excitedly gathering them up and then eventually getting them stuck back on the roof.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #5762
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I need screws / bolts I dutifully go to Home Depot and buy those outragously priced packs - pretty sure the margins on that fund that entire store.

Is there a bulk barn type of place for screws / bolts in town where you can buy small lots? Calgary Fasteners?
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:09 PM   #5763
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Every time I need screws / bolts I dutifully go to Home Depot and buy those outragously priced packs - pretty sure the margins on that fund that entire store.

Is there a bulk barn type of place for screws / bolts in town where you can buy small lots? Calgary Fasteners?
Bolt Supply House. They have at least a couple locations.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #5764
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

I'm sure hardware stores have bulk as well, but I agree. They're like $0.40-0.80 each and buy the time you consider what you need for 4-6 sets, screw it, buy a package for a few bucks more but 4-6x more extras for next time.

Almost makes me wonder if there's like a Facebook market place or Kijiji or other website for people looking to swap the extras of those packages they have for the ones they need.

Quote:
Bolt Supply House. They have at least a couple locations.
What's the price like for their stuff? There's one down the street from where I work (I think) and I've never gone. I always assume I'll find what I need, I just don't know if it's worth it vs paying a premium or acquiring too many at a hardware store.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #5765
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm sure hardware stores have bulk as well, but I agree. They're like $0.40-0.80 each and buy the time you consider what you need for 4-6 sets, screw it, buy a package for a few bucks more but 4-6x more extras for next time.

Almost makes me wonder if there's like a Facebook market place or Kijiji or other website for people looking to swap the extras of those packages they have for the ones they need.

What's the price like for their stuff? There's one down the street from where I work (I think) and I've never gone. I always assume I'll find what I need, I just don't know if it's worth it vs paying a premium or acquiring too many at a hardware store.
Could probably start up a nice little business acquiring spare #8 wood screws and selling little packs for a healthy profit. Like a used book store but for fasteners.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #5766
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Could probably start up a nice little business acquiring spare #8 wood screws and selling little packs for a healthy profit. Like a used book store but for fasteners.
A cafe with #### coffee and books like the electrical code, examples of DIY projects, permit examples and spare hardware/fastener trades (mainly a giant tub that's like, "Take a thingie, leave a thingie" that people could just dig into like the spare part wall at IKEA... I could see it being somewhat popular.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:28 PM   #5767
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Quote:
Can you get a long stick and bash it a bit from the ground? Or throw stuff at it? Might kinda shake things loose and get it working again until spring.

I figure a pic might clarify things. I think throwing stuff will only serve to chip the stucco get crud into the hood fan.

Would sure make me feel like Luke bulls-eyeing some womprats though.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #5768
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like scaffolding is the right tool for the job.

A ladder on a grade like that is asking for trouble.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:58 PM   #5769
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Almost makes me wonder if there's like a Facebook market place or Kijiji or other website for people looking to s
I treat random screws and nails the same way as old cables and cords.

You keep them in a drawer somewhere, and never get rid of them under any circumstances
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #5770
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Prices are better than Home Depot, that's for sure. You can also buy onesie/twosie, so it's great from that perspective. Plus if you have something you're trying to find a mate to, everything is in bulk so you can twist and turn stuff to get the correct threads or whatever.

Minimum charge is $5, so if you only are spending a couple bucks, I guess grab a new bit or something to make it worth your while.

I do have a business account there, so I don't know if a random walk-in customer pays more. Probably since prices aren't listed on anything...they tell you what you're paying when you get to the register.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 03:07 PM   #5771
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I figure a pic might clarify things. I think throwing stuff will only serve to chip the stucco get crud into the hood fan.

Sweet pad. I feel like if we were best friends we'd sit up on that alcove above the fireplace outlet and have a beer and talk about our hopes and dreams.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #5772
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet pad. I feel like if we were best friends we'd sit up on that alcove above the fireplace outlet and have a beer and talk about our hopes and dreams.
That alcove looks about 8’ up, bring your own ladder.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #5773
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
That alcove looks about 8’ up, bring your own ladder.
Best friends don't need ladders. Best friends give each other boosts.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #5774
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh, I didn't realize it was like a vent on the side of the house. I'd personally be digging a hole to level and secure the ladder AND perhaps get a spotter to hold the ladder when you go up. You definitely don't want to fall sideways on that type of job. It seems easy enough to DIY, but you never know with DIY.

Also, pay the extra and replace plastic with metal or I wonder if you're allowed to install something that also has a kind of curved shield on it. In theory you never have to go back up again.

That's what is on my house for the dryer vent. A tin shield than angles the air downwards at an angle that prevents the elements from getting inside and somehow (not sure if up to code) the previous owner left a metal grate inside there to block birds and whatever in lieu of vent slats.

EDIT: Looked like this, but far less fancy looking and a lot smaller. A portion of it (the screen) definitely looks like he made it himself vs it coming with the product.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bro...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I treat random screws and nails the same way as old cables and cords.

You keep them in a drawer somewhere, and never get rid of them under any circumstances
I can never remember which drawer or bag that was....

Or "Hell yes! I know I have something left over that will work/fit!" and then it doesn't.

Dammit! Tapered vs straight threads issue again!

Last edited by DoubleF; 12-20-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:31 PM   #5775
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Looks like scaffolding is the right tool for the job.

A ladder on a grade like that is asking for trouble.

I'd just dig a 2-3" hole on the high side to level it out? seems like a super easy solution.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 03:36 PM   #5776
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah scaffolding is way overkill for that. Dig a hole or shim the other side and have someone brace/spot the ladder. Worst case you could probably run a 2x4 as a brace off the fence and then you know the ladder isn't going to go anywhere.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #5777
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay. I don’t think I am going go dig up my yard or jury rig some kind of elaborate support structure to my fence to keep a ladder upright. I think I am at peace passing this on to somebody who already owns the right equipment and can swap it out quickly.

I will happily sit with Sliver and drink hot buttered rums on the little alcove, though we’ll probably be packed pretty tight. It’s not as girthy as he thinks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 04:02 PM   #5778
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not as girthy as he thinks.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #5779
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A cafe with #### coffee and books like the electrical code, examples of DIY projects, permit examples and spare hardware/fastener trades (mainly a giant tub that's like, "Take a thingie, leave a thingie" that people could just dig into like the spare part wall at IKEA... I could see it being somewhat popular.
And a dingy self serve popcorn machine.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #5780
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay. I don’t think I am going go dig up my yard or jury rig some kind of elaborate support structure to my fence to keep a ladder upright. I think I am at peace passing this on to somebody who already owns the right equipment and can swap it out quickly.

I will happily sit with Sliver and drink hot buttered rums on the little alcove, though we’ll probably be packed pretty tight. It’s not as girthy as he thinks.
Please share with us pictures of the Kjiji contractor digging up the yard or building a platform, I'm interested to know which option they choose, and how janky it is!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote