Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #9981
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
With rural areas being UPC strongholds and these fires devastating rural areas (and UPC cuts to fire services), I wonder if this will cause some rural voters to reconsider their UCP support. Maybe not enough to have an impact.
I'm a little dumbfounded that over this last four years, and now during the election, that the NDP has completely written off rural Alberta as a lost cause. Most of the people outside of the city are uninformed on some pretty basic issues.

A big sign explaining the potential damage to farming and ranching that the UCP plan by mining the Eastern Slopes. Another big sign explaining the decimation of the wildfire fighting capacity. Another big sign explaining chasing away doctors and medical capacity in rural towns. Another big sign explaining who centralization of the EMS left rural Alberta with no coverage. Another big sign explaining the damage that the UCP did to the educational system, where the smaller towns are hardest hit.

There are so many easy targets, but only crickets.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:35 PM   #9982
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm a little dumbfounded that over this last four years, and now during the election, that the NDP has completely written off rural Alberta as a lost cause. Most of the people outside of the city are uninformed on some pretty basic issues.

A big sign explaining the potential damage to farming and ranching that the UCP plan by mining the Eastern Slopes. Another big sign explaining the decimation of the wildfire fighting capacity. Another big sign explaining chasing away doctors and medical capacity in rural towns. Another big sign explaining who centralization of the EMS left rural Alberta with no coverage. Another big sign explaining the damage that the UCP did to the educational system, where the smaller towns are hardest hit.

I don't think they've abandoned these areas. They had one of the strategists on West of Centre yesterday and she went out of her way to say "This isn't just a Calgary election and there are rural ridings we believe we can flip."

Kevin Van Tighem is a really strong candidate for the eastern slopes issue, as is Sarah Elmelgi in Canmore - Kananaskis.

In any case, big signs aren't really enough to change minds when you're dealing with such entrenched behaviours.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #9983
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the people outside of the city are uninformed on some pretty basic issues.
Don’t worry there’s plenty of city folk who are also uninformed on a number of basic issues.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:46 PM   #9984
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So much easier said than done...each of those big signs might catch dozens of eyeballs, compared to thousands in an urban riding. And still, it's impossible to distill complex issues into a sign.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:09 PM   #9985
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
With rural areas being UPC strongholds and these fires devastating rural areas (and UPC cuts to fire services), I wonder if this will cause some rural voters to reconsider their UCP support. Maybe not enough to have an impact.
A poster on a rural forum suspects the fires are being set by the NDP to help sell their climate change agenda. He also claims he is joking…sort of.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #9986
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
A poster on a rural forum suspects the fires are being set by the NDP to help sell their climate change agenda. He also claims he is joking…sort of.
Meanwhile Angry Man Boy Caillou Bexte is claiming some fires are being set by feminism. You can't make this #### up.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:33 PM   #9987
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
pretty sure it's the gays burning in the lake of fire...
Old 05-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #9988
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Meanwhile Angry Man Boy Caillou Bexte is claiming some fires are being set by feminism. You can't make this #### up.
The woke mob will point to OHVs as a potential fire threat, but will try to cancel me if I demand menopausal women susceptible to hot flashes be banned from dry tinder areas. That’s feminism for you!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #9989
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Beaverton was still fairly unknown when this article came out... hooked in quite a few angry Facebook Uncles....

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/05...rray-wildfire/
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #9990
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

This is equally pathetic as anything people make fun of UCP supporters for putting out.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #9991
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
This is equally pathetic as anything people make fun of UCP supporters for putting out.
Do you believe UCP cuts to firefighting budgets and training has helped or hurt our ability to respond to fires?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #9992
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
So much easier said than done...each of those big signs might catch dozens of eyeballs, compared to thousands in an urban riding. And still, it's impossible to distill complex issues into a sign.
Coal Mining Kills Cows.
Ban coal mining in Cattle country
Vote NDP.

And then a picture of a Mad Cow disease cow.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #9993
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why doesn't the ndp insist on referring to Smith as the head of Kenney's ucp? Link them together, as they share the same cabinet ministers.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #9994
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Coal Mining Kills Cows.
Ban coal mining in Cattle country
Vote NDP.

And then a picture of a Mad Cow disease cow.
Selenium poisoning reduces value of cattle.
Reduces output of crops by damaging soil.
Severely cuts available irrigation water.
Causes drought.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:43 PM   #9995
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Selenium poisoning reduces value of cattle.
Reduces output of crops by damaging soil.
Severely cuts available irrigation water.
Causes drought.
My sign while less true is simpler. I’d probably critical of it for it’s truthiness if it went up
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #9996
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The woke mob will point to OHVs as a potential fire threat, but will try to cancel me if I demand menopausal women susceptible to hot flashes be banned from dry tinder areas. That’s feminism for you!
It's so true though. My power surges are not to be trifled with. It's why we didn't go camping this weekend.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:15 PM   #9997
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Why doesn't the ndp insist on referring to Smith as the head of Kenney's ucp? Link them together, as they share the same cabinet ministers.
I suspect their calculation is that Smith is much less personally popular than Kenney.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:55 PM   #9998
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you believe UCP cuts to firefighting budgets and training has helped or hurt our ability to respond to fires?
How on earth do you not reposed to such a simple question, yoho? Respond to it, god damnit.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:20 PM   #9999
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Kenney is more marketable to moderates than Smith.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:24 PM   #10000
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're a moderate conservative you can hold your nose and vote for Kenney. I don't think you can do that with Smith unless you are borderline nuts.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post: