Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #3981
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Developing these idyllic mountain spots are also important wildlife corridors, no? Sometimes wealthy Patagonia billboards seeking to cosplay as wilderness enthusiasts should be confined.
Animals only have about 700 other corridors to choose from. They'll adapt. And if they don't, meh. I'm don't want to lock myself in the crowded cage of Banff so, like, eight wolfs can run around poo-scootching their asses all over the forest.

I'm also not interested in being some elite by having a condo in Canmore when I want other people to be able to enjoy recreation there as well - I'm a strong supporter of building more affordable housing there. Too bad the NIMBYs stopped the TSMV.

I'm surprised at thoughts like this in Alberta. I hope you support all the pipeline protests across North America and the hamstringing of our industry to prevent more oil from getting where it needs to go because this is the same thing. If you're going to be consistent, I would think you would want to prevent nature from being jeopardized off the coast of BC and through their province, or down south on KXL, or Energy East and every other project that keeps getting ####-blocked. Like it or not, those pipelines carry a risk to the environment during their operating decades and particularly during their construction. You know, when they dig up thousands of kilometers of earth to build them.

If you do support the O&G industry in Alberta and its need to move its product east, west and south, then I would hope you'd also support Alberta's tourism industry. O&G may not be here forever, but sure as #### the mountains will be.

During O&G downturns everyone always complains that our province NeVeR dIvErSiFiEd during the booms. Let's remember the guys preventing us from growing our tourism industry by using 0.0000001% of the rocky mountains to build a couple more towns. I'm sure future generations will be super stoked we prioritized a heard of diseased elk over them instead of just moving the elk two mountain ranges over.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #3982
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You mentioned this idea when you were posting as djsFlames, but that highway would need a lot more care than it currently gets to make it able to accommodate winter tourist traffic of any appreciable volume, as well as another gas station or two along the way.

That highway is better left as-is.
It is so obvious now, how did I miss it. Especially from the posts in the skating date thread.

How long did that retirement last?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #3983
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One time a forum I posted on had to update the forum software or something like that and in doing so lost their entire server (or however TF that works).

It meant the entire forum had to start fresh. No more post history, no threads, no more usernames, nothing. A lot of people signed up with the same name as before. Seemed to me most others didn't. Join dates became irrelevant. Since literally everyone was new, it was much harder to guess who was who, although after a time the most frequent posters who changed names became obvious. It also meant that anyone who had previously been banned got to come back with a (mostly) clean record. That I can recall there were no instances of impersonation on the new forum, which definitely wouldn't happen here. Overall though it was kind of refreshing to be honest.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #3984
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

PepsiFree loves dead naming people.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #3985
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
5 years? I think the rate of increase has been far steeper than that.

I've stayed at the Springs a few times in the last 12 months. Last Christmas season was about normal-ish, in my experience, which was the same as last February, which was cheaper than April, which was about half the price of August, which is about the same as it is now... It's nuts... The rates are up almost 3X in just the last year, where they'd been relatively consistent since, oh, 2018...
They probably started slowly increasing rates after covid to try to recoup some losses, realized they were still 100% capacity, so just kept increasing to find the max price they could charge without losing customers. I couldn't imagine paying $1600 for two nights in Banff though, for that price I can fly my ass to Vietnam and find hotels in a beach town for $30/night
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:07 AM   #3986
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
PepsiFree loves dead naming people.
I love that people delight in this. I basically have no idea until someone spells it out for me, and then suddenly it makes perfect sense!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #3987
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if Calgary was a more interesting city, people wouldn't need to trash the mountains so much. That goes for most Canadian cities where we see them as "gateways to nature" instead of places where people can work and play.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #3988
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It is so obvious now, how did I miss it. Especially from the posts in the skating date thread.

How long did that retirement last?
A couple of hours, he started posting heavily with the TrentCrimm account on the same day as he asked for the djsFlames one to be retired.

Which is fine, he asked for his account to be closed so it’s not like it matters but I have been quietly getting a kick out of the new posting style with random capitalization and spaces before every bit of punctuation. It’s like a Tony Clifton level disguise that nobody needed and I’m absolutely here for his commitment to it.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #3989
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
A couple of hours, he started posting heavily with the TrentCrimm account on the same day as he asked for the djsFlames one to be retired.

Which is fine, he asked for his account to be closed so it’s not like it matters but I have been quietly getting a kick out of the new posting style with random capitalization and spaces before every bit of punctuation. It’s like a Tony Clifton level disguise that nobody needed and I’m absolutely here for his commitment to it.
It truly is delightful when somebody flexes their quirks like that. Adds a little colour to things.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #3990
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

FBS is great. Pool area is great. There are extra skimpy bikinis worn.

Food is good for the most part. You can buy quality stuff at the shops and sometimes it's not overpriced.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #3991
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I love that people delight in this. I basically have no idea until someone spells it out for me, and then suddenly it makes perfect sense!
It doesnt bother me at all. I am hopelessly addicted to calagry puck and would instantly make a new account. KingDiamondLover69420
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #3992
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This kind of stuff cracks me up. "It's been a great run, I'm done with this place". Returns an hour later with a fake moustache and hat.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #3993
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It doesnt bother me at all. I am hopelessly addicted to calagry puck and would instantly make a new account. KingDiamondLover69420
Mine would be BudweiserTrish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:41 AM   #3994
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This kind of stuff cracks me up. "It's been a great run, I'm done with this place". Returns an hour later with a fake moustache and hat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #3995
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually convinced some of the frequent returnees anticipate their bannings and set up multiple dummy accounts months, if not years, in advance so that when they eventually get banned (again), they can keep posting by firing up their extra accounts that have been sitting dormant.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #3996
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Developing these idyllic mountain spots are also important wildlife corridors, no? Sometimes wealthy Patagonia billboards seeking to cosplay as wilderness enthusiasts should be confined.
I would like know the fantasy-world where some of these posters are living. We are currently in the middle of a climate crisis, unprecedented ecological destruction, and increasingly unsustainable resource use, and some posters still think we should be expanding highways.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #3997
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm actually convinced some of the frequent returnees anticipate their bannings and set up multiple dummy accounts months, if not years, in advance so that when they eventually get banned (again), they can keep posting by firing up their extra accounts that have been sitting dormant.
While others aren't smart enough to think that far ahead, and end up trying to hack the most popular account on CP repeatedly. Keep trying there, buddy! you'll guess it one of these times! HINT: It's related to your user name.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #3998
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d be a little careful throwing stones there, flip. Haven’t you had like 3 or 4 different usernames as well?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #3999
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

TrentCrimm had a complete switch of perfect consistent regular punctuation to absolutely none between Sept 29th and October 3rd. I’ll call the hospital and check his records for a head or thumb injury.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #4000
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’d be a little careful throwing stones there, flip. Haven’t you had like 3 or 4 different usernames as well?
Ooh. You're so edgy. You know my old username. Regular Sherlock Holmes over here.

Yes. I've had 1 previous username. Thanks for catching up to what the rest of the forum knew 10 years ago. Congrats.