Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #4841
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
American kindergartens are prepping students for mass shootings with nursery rhymes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1004385249520996352
Having a kid in kindergarten right now reading that actually made my stomach sink
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #4842
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a former principal, there is no way that would be allowed in my school. Absolutely sickening!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #4843
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the big deal with that nursery rhyme. They need to teach the kids what to do, they don't have to tell them exactly why - only that it's practice for an emergency and no different than a fire drill which. Seems like a pretty good way to get them to remember at that age.

We have lockdown drills in our schools too. And sometimes even real lockdowns (my kids high school had one this year).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #4844
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
As a former principal, there is no way that would be allowed in my school. Absolutely sickening!
What if you thought there was a chance a shooter would attack your school?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #4845
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don't see the big deal with that nursery rhyme. They need to teach the kids what to do, they don't have to tell them exactly why - only that it's practice for an emergency and no different than a fire drill which. Seems like a pretty good way to get them to remember at that age.

We have lockdown drills in our schools too. And sometimes even real lockdowns (my kids high school had one this year).
We had lockdown drills too, and never once was I actually concerned about something happening. Because small arms are not widely available and the controls in place on firearms in this country are quite good.

I went to Arizona a few years ago and was nervous in every single public space. I was in the rental car terminal and all I thought was "there is nowhere to hide here". That's ####ed up.

I cannot imagine what going to school must be like. I don't think I'd go.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #4846
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What if you thought there was a chance a shooter would attack your school?
Without getting into more detail, I had two real lockdowns in my school and the behaviour we wanted kids to demonstrate was taught through practice. Nursery rhymes, songs, etc are useful for teaching literacy/numeracy and kids enjoy them. I would not allow that lockdown song because it would associate a fearful/negative process with an activity kids enjoy.

The picture appears to be in an ECS or Grade 1 classroom. Kids at that age generally don’t have the brain development to connect a song with an abstract future event. So the behaviour the teacher is trying to instill is likely not happening so it’s a pointless activity at the expense of a useful teaching tool.

There are better ways to teach skills needed for a lockdown. Lockdown drills made me nauseous and I had to do 3 each year. For young kids, it was frightening when I would check the classroom doors to ensure they were locked and that the teacher had acted properly. The kids understood the seriousness of the situation and the building was silent.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #4847
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We had lockdown drills too, and never once was I actually concerned about something happening. Because small arms are not widely available and the controls in place on firearms in this country are quite good.

I went to Arizona a few years ago and was nervous in every single public space. I was in the rental car terminal and all I thought was "there is nowhere to hide here". That's ####ed up.

I cannot imagine what going to school must be like. I don't think I'd go.
Bah felt more safe in Arizona then Calgary. Yes it’s easier for some nutcase to get a gun but I take comfort in knowing that there’s a good chance the law abiding citizen beside me also has a gun. Just make sure I’m not in the cross fire

Plus the beer is so darn cheap
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #4848
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Bah felt more safe in Arizona then Calgary. Yes it’s easier for some nutcase to get a gun but I take comfort in knowing that there’s a good chance the law abiding citizen beside me also has a gun. Just make sure I’m not in the cross fire

Have you been to the Stampede yet?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #4849
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cheap beer and readily available guns! What could go wrong?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #4850
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:

Unfortunately the people who feel the need to carry guns everywhere are often the ones that shouldn't. Rarely do I feel safer when my moronic neighbor Dennis has a pistol shoved in the back of his pants!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #4851
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You know what they say - careful going into downtown Calgary, someone might ask you for change.

I guess as long as there's cheap booze, the potential for multiple strangers to be discharging firearms in my vicinity is actually nothing to be worried about. Just so long as I'm not in the crossfire, which is something I can totally control.

I can think of few things less reassuring than a non-uniformed individual holding a gun.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #4852
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You know what they say - careful going into downtown Calgary, someone might ask you for change.

I guess as long as there's cheap booze, the potential for multiple strangers to be discharging firearms in my vicinity is actually nothing to be worried about. Just so long as I'm not in the crossfire, which is something I can totally control.

I can think of few things less reassuring than a non-uniformed individual holding a gun.
Hey think of it as the wild Wild West

Besides they know it’s bad luck to shoot a Canadian. I would have no issue moving down there.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #4853
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you felt safer because, in your made up scenario, if the much higher chances of a violent crime being committed against you ends up happening, someone with a gun will come to your rescue?

That's literally ridiculous.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #4854
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It used to be that nursery rhymes warned kids about the bubonic plague. This is a modernization for our new plague.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #4855
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
So you felt safer because, in your made up scenario, if the much higher chances of a violent crime being committed against you ends up happening, someone with a gun will come to your rescue?

That's literally ridiculous.
I feel safer beacuse the chance of me getting shot is next to nothing when I’m down in the US. Christ I’m more worried about getting killed in a car accident getting to Calgary Int airport then anything that might happen to me in the states. Same reason I go swimming in the ocean. Am I worried about sharks....nope

Nobody’s getting out of here alive so I’m going to live into I die
Old 06-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #4856
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel safer beacuse the chance of me getting shot is next to nothing when I’m down in the US. Christ I’m more worried about getting killed in a car accident getting to Calgary Int airport then anything that might happen to me in the states. Same reason I go swimming in the ocean. Am I worried about sharks....nope

Bad News. Car accidents also happen in the States. Unfortunately you have to add those to the higher chances of getting shot in the face as well.

Bummer!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #4857
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Right. So tell the nation full of school children not to fret - while one school shooting happens every week, odds are it won't happen to you.

Have fun with that.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #4858
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Bad News. Car accidents also happen in the States. Unfortunately you have to add those to the higher chances of getting shot in the face as well.

Bummer!
Canada: 6 road fatalities per 100,000 people per year.
USA: 10.6 road fatalities per 100,000 people per year.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #4859
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Canada: 6 road fatalities per 100,000 people per year.
USA: 10.6 road fatalities per 100,000 people per year.

Yeah, but 5 of those are on the way to the airport.

Probably.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #4860
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would have no issue moving down there.
Hurry up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread