Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #81
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think some of you are making too big a deal out of the 5th spot. So we sign someone and then one of our top four gets hurt. Now we have to rely on prospects for our 3rd pairing. Two weeks later our number 5 or another one of the top four is hurt. Suddenly we have to rely on the prospects in Stockton. I'd just as soon start off with the prospect/prospects. Wotherspoon & Kulak aren't going to get any more ready than they are now. Time to use the prospects. If you're going to spend the money then get a RW and backup goalie.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #82
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
tre has gone after reclamation projects in the past. Versteeg wasn't able to get deal with Oil. Bartkowski was late addition from minors? That Swedish mess we had to start on D last season. Who are we not thinking of that could be a fit? Franson maybe but im betting something less obvious than that even.
Versteeg could totally have gotten a deal from the Oil. Tre scooped them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #83
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would give Stone a little bit under the Russel deal. He fits in well here. Plus depth at D has been a problem for us since Sutter left as GM. One injury and our D corps looks terrible.

Sutter understood the importance of depth on the back end. I believe he picked up a defense man every single trade deadline, also wasn't afraid to give a number 5 guy like Sarich money and term.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #84
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I wouldn't pay a lot for a 5 spot defenceman. Especially considering how much money we have tied up on the back end already. That said, Bartkowski is not the answer and Stone would want too much, unless Tre works his wizard magic. Need an upgrade on Bartkowski around the 2 mill mark... 3 at most.
Bartkowski is the #6. He's fine as the #6. Guys that I'd consider to fill the number 5 slot who wouldn't cost a fortune would be Kyle Quincey, Brian Campbell, Beauchemin, or Ron Hainsey.

Beauchemin played nearly 22 minutes a night for the Avalanche this season and he was only -14. For that clown show. For a 3rd pairing, veteran D who's been through all the playoff wars and knows how to do a little more than 'off the glass and out'? On a one-year deal, sign me up.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #85
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Bartkowski is the #6. He's fine as the #6. Guys that I'd consider to fill the number 5 slot who wouldn't cost a fortune would be Kyle Quincey, Brian Campbell, Beauchemin, or Ron Hainsey.

Beauchemin played nearly 22 minutes a night for the Avalanche this season and he was only -14. For that clown show. For a 3rd pairing, veteran D who's been through all the playoff wars and knows how to do a little more than 'off the glass and out'? On a one-year deal, sign me up.
I would much prefer in Bartkowski never played a game for the Flames again. He's already fulfilled his role of expansion draft fodder.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #86
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames offer $2.5-mil and he has offers for $4-mil elsewhere (even $3.5), I think Stone will choose to go for money.

It's not like he doesn't want to remain as a Flame, but the team just can't provide what he is looking for compensation-wise.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #87
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bartkowski is absolutely not fine as the #6. On actual playing ability he wouldn't even make the Heat.

He was signed for the expansion and if he plays another game for the Flames someone needs to be fired.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #88
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I'd rather the Flames go with two of their own kids as their 3rd pairing D than acquire either Quincey or Beauchemin.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #89
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, do not want any of Bartkowski, Quincey or Beauchemin as defencemen for this team.

Bartkowski & Quincey are garbage. As for Beauchemin, he is way over the hill and done.

Last edited by Karl; 06-27-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #90
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
I think some of you are making too big a deal out of the 5th spot. So we sign someone and then one of our top four gets hurt. Now we have to rely on prospects for our 3rd pairing. Two weeks later our number 5 or another one of the top four is hurt. Suddenly we have to rely on the prospects in Stockton. I'd just as soon start off with the prospect/prospects. Wotherspoon & Kulak aren't going to get any more ready than they are now. Time to use the prospects. If you're going to spend the money then get a RW and backup goalie.
But this is exactly why the 5th spot is so important.
The top 4 are bound to get injured, so the #5 guy will spend quite a bit of time in the top 4. This is especially true later on in the season, like the playoffs.

I would much rather Stone be that top 4 substitute than Kulak (who has only played 30 games).
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #91
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be shocked if Stone isn't back. He sees what we all see. A really good young team that's coming into their own and getting ready to go for it all. Who they hell wouldn't wanna be a part of that?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #92
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I'll be shocked if Stone isn't back. He sees what we all see. A really good young team that's coming into their own and getting ready to go for it all. Who they hell wouldn't wanna be a part of that?
Someone with only a few more years of earning power left leaving millions of dollars on the table, for one.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #93
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like his playing style and his heavy shot. It works well here. Also isn't a dope with the puck in his own end for the most part.

Hope he would take something like 3.5 to stay if other teams won't offer a 4+ contract on July 1.

I the end though, if our prospects are legitimately ready to step up, the cap space that could be saved without having millions tied up to your third pairing could be helpful in shoring up other areas.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #94
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The situation both for personal reasons and organizational reasons is indeed a fit for him.

The money, term, and role that the Flames can offer is extremely limited though, as he is relegated to bottom pairing for the foreseeable future with the Flames top 4 rounded out through Hamonic.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #95
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha sounds like Oiler fans with the rumoured McDavid money.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #96
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

We don't know any numbers yet. I guess it's possible to assume that someone will vastly overpay as that always seems to happen July 1st but if the Flames offer is somewhat competitive, not a chance he leaves.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #97
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Don't be greedy, Michael. Be a part of what Tre is putting together here, could be a winning formula and that's what it's all about. You'll still be a millionaire regardless. But being a millionaire Cup champ is priceless.
And I was just chastising hf Oilers fans for saying the same about Foo.

Except you're probably joking. I hope.

If our offer is way off, you can't blame a guy for leaving. But for a few hundred k? Maybe he'll pick fit over money. That also assumes he's not lured by the possibility of more playing time somewhere else.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #98
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Lol @ Kulikov and Franson as our 5th dman... they'll be looking to be 3/4 on other teams and therefore will ask for that money. Been there, done that with expensive 3rd pairing d. They're good players but we need that money to spend on other players.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #99
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I want Paul Postma as the #5. Seriously underrated defenseman who could easily blossom into a top-4 guy, and he has a Calgary connection. Only 28, and made $887k last year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #100
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Use the kids. It's time to give them a shot. You may be surprised with what they do when they don't have Wideman or Engelland as their partners.