Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #181
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes such a huge difference when you can attract free prospects like this. And it makes trades like Hamonic's so easy to swallow.

Essentially, the Flames have drafted their first two rounds in the 2018 draft already:

1st round: Hamonic
2nd round: Foo

Already an absolutely outstanding draft for the Flames
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #182
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Doubt Foo makes the club. HIGHLY doubt he has been promised a spot

Corban Knight got full bonuses, a jersey number, and a press conference. Got sent down, and that was before "always earned, never given"
yah because he was corban knight and skated like he was standing in molasses. If Foo can keep up, and it seems he has the jets to do so, dont be shocked if he makes the roster.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #183
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he has a good camp he should play with the big club. If not, send him down for a season.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #184
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this kid lights it up in camp, makes the team, has instant chemistry with Johnny and puts up 20+ goals.

The salt would be flowing freely.

Its about time the Flames have some free money actually turn into something valuable.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #185
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

George Johnson write-up on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/flames/news/foo-s...it/c-290191304
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #186
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames RW Spencer Foo on Johnny's shout-out: “I mean, that’s incredible. ... I hope to be a great teammate to him.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #187
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Just found out that two of my cousin's sons went to school with Spencer. Needless to say, I've asked for the inside scoop on him.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #188
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Quote:
"But to start putting expectations on him at this point is foolish. He has a chance to have a real good career. His first order of business is having his best summer. He'll start in development camp, we'll get a real solid plan in place for him, he'll come into rookie camp and we'll take it each step of the way.
Heh.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #189
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the NCAA comparables, it seems like Foo might not need any seasoning in the AHL.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #190
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around the League Report

Spoiler!
3thirty, 442scotty, AC, Ace, Anduril, BeltlineFan, Beninho, BigFlameDog, bigrangy, BloodFetish, Burner, Burninator, bzoo02, Caged Great, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, CalgaryFan1988, Cali Panthers Fan, Ccentaur, Cecil Terwilliger, CKPThunder, Completely, CrazyCaper, Cycling76er, cznTiburon, D as in David, Demaeon, devo22, DigitalCarpenter, dino7c, DJones, Domoic, drewtastic, dustygoon, Ex libris, Flambé, Flames Fan, Ph.D., Flamezzz, flame^thrower, FlatLandFlamesFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Freddy, Gaudfather, getbak, GoFlamesGo89, GranteedEV, GreatWhiteEbola, Hilbilly, HitterD, Hockey-and_stuff, HockeyKhan, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, IamNotKenKing, icarus, IgiTang, IliketoPuck, indes, jayswin, JohnnyTitan, jschick88, justing, killer_carlson, KipperRules, Lanny'sDaMan, LChoy, Loudog, Love, Mazrim, mikephoen, MoBiBu, N-E-B, N26, Party Elephant, Phaneufenstein, psyang, Puppet Guy, Racki, rayne008, Redrum, Reign of Fire, Robo, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Samonadreau, Savvy27, Sec218, Slacker, slybomb, SnipeShow, SOMBRI2, StrykerSteve, terryclancy, The Hendog, the2bears, Thor, tko, TomLeeMC, Toonage, trublmaker, You Need a Thneed, Zulu29, zuluking
Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #191
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I doubt he plays on a line with Johnny. With Foo's skill-set he's more of a Johnny Junior, except on the other wing. A truculent guy like Ferland is a better complementary player for Johnny. Foo might be better suited for, say, a Lazar/Bennett line.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #192
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“He’s greasy,” Starman said. “He just does a lot of little things that are fun to watch. He’s got electric speed, hands, guts. He’s not afraid to try something difficult. He’s been good. He’s just fun to watch and he plays with an edge.”

“That consistency has been very important because it has allowed the younger players to see that through consistency breeds success,” Union coach Rick Bennett said. “Spencer is one of the hardest workers in practice each day. Hopefully, that resonates throughout the year and when he moves on. My hope is that my younger players emulate his work ethic and consistency.”- Joshua Seguin www.collegehockeynews.com
I keep reading this as Foo having "electric guts". I need sleep...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #193
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I get why a lot of people are suggesting him as a linemate for Bennett, but he screams Gaudreau to me. He is really adept at give-and-goes, which is Gaudreau's forte but Johnny is still hunting for his partner on that front since Hudler left.

I am not giving him the spot without earning it, but I think he will. And the lines I like (once that happens) are:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Foo
******* - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland / Lazar

For me, this balances the lines out much more

and there are lots of candidates for the Backlund line
I would guess maybe sometime mid-season we see something like this.

If Foo has chemistry on the top line like that, maybe that leaves Backlund and Frolik to shepherd Lazar, with Tkachuk, Bennett, and Ferland as the tough-as-nails line.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #194
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm excited to hear he plays with a lot of speed. Essential to improve team speed.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #195
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't really blame the guy for looking at the Flames as a natural fit, with the way he described the depth on the left and at centre.

Gaudreau Monahan
Tkatchuk Backlund
Ferland Bennett
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #196
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha, hey oilfans!

BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #197
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking forward to buying a jersey that just says "Foo" on the back
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #198
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd try to shelter one of Foo/Jankowski with Backlund and Frolik. I don't see Tkachuk's game translating well with the top line personally so I would do something like

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Jankowski Backlund Frolik
Tkachuk Bennett Foo

I think the top pairing can produce fine with Ferland. Backlund and Frolik will allow a good two way up and comer like Jankowski to flourish. Having Tkachuk and Foo gives Bennett the skill and truculence he needs for his game on a "young guns" line. Throw whoever you want out on the forth line as long as Hathaway is one of them and we got ourselves a team.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #199
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

From gaskal's atl. Hilarious.

Quote:
If he is the kind of person that is a winner that wants more than anything to win a Cup and play with other great NHL stars in a program that could be great for the next 10 years, then the Oilers are the best up and coming choice. Like the Pens or Blackhawks, think of signing on those teams 8 or 9 years ago?? Sustained success on the back of two star forwards. If he's a winner, he'll sign with the Oilers.

"If he signs with us, he's a winner, because we are the only team who have a chance to win. Anywhere else and he's a selfish money grubbing prick." Lol.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #200
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I get why a lot of people are suggesting him as a linemate for Bennett, but he screams Gaudreau to me. He is really adept at give-and-goes, which is Gaudreau's forte but Johnny is still hunting for his partner on that front since Hudler left.

I am not giving him the spot without earning it, but I think he will. And the lines I like (once that happens) are:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Foo
******* - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland / Lazar

For me, this balances the lines out much more

and there are lots of candidates for the Backlund line
Foo is either 1RW or 3RW. Lazar has an outside chance at 1RW too.

This sets up moving Ferland back down to 3LW in time which he is better suited for.

Where Jankowski plays is a huge wildcard here. With many interesting options bolded.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland/Foo/Lazar

Tkachuk/Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik

Ferland/Jankowski/Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar/Foo

Jankowski/Stajan-Stajan/Jankowski-Brouwer

Bouma and one of Versteeg/Chiasson

This move also allows enough cap space in the forward ranks to consider a longer term deal for Bennett now rather than bridge deal. Sure looks like they are saving money for that.

I think we still will see one of Versteeg and Chaisson for a reasonable one year deal in case of injury. Either could easily be supplanted to Stockton/waived if a prospect is surprisingly ready.

This lineup has some much flexibility to address injuries when they occur.

BTs wizardry!
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post: