Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #121
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I found this chart as Vesey was set to sign and make his NHL debut.

I edited it to include Vesey's actual NHL results and also added the details for Foo's final season and NHLE:
So the NHLe seems very accurate in all these cases. Interesting!

Would be great if he's a similar player to Zach Hyman, whose game I really like.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #122
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Does anyone remember how he looked last year at prospect camp? I Foorget.
only thing i could find
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Team McDonald (Red)

Rasmus Andersson - love his game. He's the smartest defenceman of the bunch and most consistently makes the right play when the puck is on his stick. Defensively he looks a bit messy, particularly on the rush, but I think he breaks up the most plays outside of Hickey. He's got the highest potential of the D prospects in my opinion and while his fitness didn't seem outstanding or anything, I'm baffled by the focus on it.

Austin Carroll - really solid showing, particularly in the first half. Almost all of the AHL guys had a calmness and professionalism to their game. They don't chase the play as much as other guys and they seem to have more purpose when they enter into board battles. Carroll was no exception and I think he showed well at both ends of the rink. He's a good player who I could see getting a taste of the NHL eventually.

Ryan Culkin - looked pretty much the same as he always does. Great skater with good positioning and makes smart passes. Didn't seem like he was trying to wow anyone out there but played a solid game that included jumping in on the rush and on the cycle in the offensive zone. Defensively he looked like one of the better players out there. Hopefully his injury woes are behind him and he can work his way back into contention to be a call up.

Dillon Dube - he's going to be an interesting prospect to follow. He's one of the smoother players and has top end speed. He got a few chances with both speed and positioning in the offensive zone and showed courage going into the corners to battle for the puck. He scored a nice shootout goal on Parsons when it was looking like he might shut the door on the red team. Not sure if I'm fully sold on him as a second round pick but there was a lot to like today.

Roman Dyukov - had a fairly unremarkable game as an invite. Was certainly willing to battle for pucks and had a few shifts where he contributed to the cycle. For me, he didn't do quite enough to generate any excitement though and I am skeptical of him being invited for the rookie tournament.

Spencer Foo - showed a lot of speed and controlled the puck well, enough so that he was able to score a beauty in the first half. He went quiet for a while after that though and I thought it might just be a flash, but then he picked his game back up in the second half. Looks like a good skater with skill, not a very physical game today but wasn't avoiding contact or anything like that. He was one of the more noticeable red forwards overall.

Josh Healey - held his own with a good group of D out there. Looks to be a good skater who plays a calm game. Caught a guy who was skating in on a breakaway and took away the opportunity. Looks like a pretty decent find.

Mark Jankowski - his scrimmage this year was a pretty big step down from last year where he was the best player on the ice. He was more noticeable in the first part of the first half, but it wasn't always in a good way. He definitely forced a few passes and missed one of his shots by about 10 feet (or so it looked). I thought he calmed down in the second half and had a more effective game. He had a few shifts where he used his reach and protected the puck really well. He was trying to make things happen but the plays just didn't seem to come together today. It's obvious that he has taken a lot of steps in his forechecking and defensive game from when he was first drafted though. I'm excited but I think talk of him coming in and making the team out of camp is probably premature.

Mitchell Mattson - I feel bad to say it, but I'm not sure that I watched him enough to make an informed observation. Good size, but that's about it from me.

Adam Ollas-Mattson - most surprising player for me. As a prospect that was far down my list as far as interest goes, I thought he had an exceptional showing. He was in the mix with Andersson and Kylington in his performance today and showed impressive creativity with the puck and in the offensive zone. His defensive game is solid and he was a physical presence who disrupted the cycle a few times. He is a better prospect than I'd given him credit for and I think he has a chance to be an NHL player. Very big, very strong, skating is adequate, hockey sense looks great, and skills are better than expected.

Mathieu Sevigny - played quite a few shifts with Jankowski and did a lot of good things out there. He was driving the net and battling hard on the forecheck (he even gave Kanzig a shot after a battle that earned him a painful looking cross-check on the forearm). I don't think he did anything to hurt himself but I don't know that he separated himself from the other invite players at all.

Hunter Smith - his skating has improved by leaps and bounds and he seems to have a good understanding of the basic things that he is supposed to do out there. He took quite a few hits as I am sure there are a lot of players who want to show the coaches that they are fearless out there. He hurt himself with a boarding play that ended up in the other team getting a penalty shot. In the end though, I'm not a fan of his game and as a player who has a season of professional hockey under his belt I think his performance was weaker than a few of the guys out of junior and even some of the invites.

Matthew Tkachuk - a little surprised by the lukewarm reviews. I thought he had a stronger first half where he controlled the puck really well and made unspectacular but perfect passes to teammates in motion. He took the puck off a few guys as well and turned the puck up ice. I didn't notice his skating to hinder him at all and I thought he was very involved in the game. He was at his best during the 5 on 5 portion and I'd expect him to have a very impressive rookie tournament. Was skeptical of him leading up to the draft but I'm excited about the pick.

Eetu Tuulola - this is the guy who stole the show. His game was well documented. He was a force on the forecheck, made some good defensive plays, has an excellent shot and his penalty shot goal was incredibly slick. Looks like a steal for a 6th rounder. He does the offensive bodycheck very well and earns himself space to make plays.

Mason McDonald - he was so much better than last year. The goal over his shoulder was probably stoppable but he made a few excellent saves and unlike the WJC, I didn't worry about shots through traffic on him. He looked more confident and solid. I thought he was probably second or third out of the four goalies, but it was tight and he looked good.

Nick Schneider - I was impressed by his play. It was tougher to see the quality of shots at his end from where I was so I can't comment too much. He looked great in the shootout and his glove is very quick. He looks like a legitimate prospect for sure.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #123
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was pretty much a slam dunk. Anyone who grew up in Edmonton would not choose to live in Edmonton if they had another option. Foo for less!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #124
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #125
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Everything's coming up Flames this offseason.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #126
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
Watched him at winsport. Remember him standing out. The read up on him reminds me of a slightly smaller, quicker rw version of matty tkachuk. IQ. Effort. Intangiables. Vision. Confidence. Gritty.

Im very exctied to see how much better hes gotten since last prospects camp.
Is he as pesty as Tkachuk?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #127
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably means the chances of Chiasson and/or Versteeg coming back is lower, which is good imo. Rather give a guy on an entry deal a chance then overpay Versteeg or bring back a mediocre Chiasson.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #128
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

I pity the Foo who thought he would sign in Edmonton.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #129
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Oilers right now

*Foo-xed.

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #130
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Foo the 17-18 Pribyl who's going to come in and play on the top two lines as a RW before he's even skated with his teammates? I look forward to him winning the Maurice Richard trophy this season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #131
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love that the Oilers put together almost a 10 minute prospect video of him
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #132
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So is Foo the 17-18 Pribyl who's going to come in and play on the top two lines as a RW before he's even skated with his teammates? I look forward to him winning the Maurice Richard trophy this season.
I don't think anyone said that. I think people are saying he could start in Calgary if he wins a job. Nobody said anything about him leading the league in scoring.
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #133
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hypothetically, would this soften the blow if Iginla were to sign for...his hometown(I refuse to say it)?
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #134
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I don't think anyone said that. I think people are saying he could start in Calgary if he wins a job. Nobody said anything about him leading the league in scoring.
Speak for yourself. I'M saying that. "Book it".
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #135
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Honest question for everyone here: If the option is to let Foo start the year in the NHL vs. re-signing Chiasson to take a roster spot for a year, which would you rather do?

If it's me, I give Foo a chance. Great college players have come directly into the league and had an impact before.

You could say that Chiasson got...

Foo'ked.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #136
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

112 points in 113 NCAA games.

I love you Brad Treliving.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #137
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
112 points in 113 NCAA games.

I love you Brad Treliving.
And thanks Johnny Hockey ( who apparently played a role in recruiting Foo). Will be interesting to see if they develop some chemistry over time.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #138
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players that have worn the number 15 for the Flames... Just some Foo for thought

Jacques Richard#1973-1975
Rick Bowness#1976-1977
Rod Seiling#1979
Dave Gorman#1980
Kevin LaVallee#1981-1983
Steve Tambellini#1984-1985
Robin Bartel#1986
Brett Hull#1987-1988
Shane Churla#1988-1989
Rich Chernomaz#1989
Neil Sheehy#1992
Brent Ashton#1993
Sandy McCarthy#1994-1998
Martin St. Louis#1999-2000
Rico Fata#2000-2001
Blair Betts#2002-2004
Chris Simon#2004
Byron Ritchie#2006-2007
Nigel Dawes#2010
Tim Jackman#2011-2014
Kevin Westgarth#2014
Ladislav Smid#2015-2016
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #139
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I expect he will be in Stockton this year right?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #140
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jason Deforest @FAN960Jason
Spencer Foo on @BoomerAndRhett tomorrow 7:25am. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: