Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #361
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
No one said taking more risk guarantees more return.

However, over the LONG run, accepting more risk will give better returns assuming the risk vs return is priced correctly.

This seriously isn't a new concept or a concept I have ever heard anyone argue TBH!
GGG said exactly that a couple pages ago. Its been bugging me ever since.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #362
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, all I had to do was take riskier investments and I would have been rich by now!
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #363
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

To be clear, I'm not saying that taking some risk will not *probably* work out better in the long run, or even the short term. I'm taking issue with the implicit criticism by the "any idiot can make 7%, that's nothing!" crowd to those that are risk-averse.

It's one thing to claim the risk is small compared to the reward. It's a far different thing to say there's NO risk in something that is by its very definition more risky. For that matter, low-risk isn't the same as no-risk, either - there's always risk in investing, even in land or other assets that some claim can never lose value or become valueless. Deciding how much risk you can accept shouldn't just be glossed over as timidity versus good sense.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #364
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

bubble tea!!!!! (which is also a waste at $5)

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #365
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
To be clear, I'm not saying that taking some risk will not *probably* work out better in the long run, or even the short term. I'm taking issue with the implicit criticism by the "any idiot can make 7%, that's nothing!" crowd to those that are risk-averse.

It's one thing to claim the risk is small compared to the reward. It's a far different thing to say there's NO risk in something that is by its very definition more risky. For that matter, low-risk isn't the same as no-risk, either - there's always risk in investing, even in land or other assets that some claim can never lose value or become valueless. Deciding how much risk you can accept shouldn't just be glossed over as timidity versus good sense.
You are absolutely correct on that.

Risk and return are related. But simply taking more risk is haphazard at best, and irresponsible for most. (Though it could be quite acceptable to someone that a) understands the risk they are taking, and b) can afford the losses).

Having said that, with proper risk management and diversification, building a portfolio with an expected return of over 7% is not at all lofty or unreasonable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #366
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we grind Millennials up into sustenance for the rest? I mean, if we dont have to commit resources to their 'aliveness' (<- Totally a word) we could commit those resources to something else.

There would be more and cheaper housing and Avocados for the rest of us.

Its win/win here people. Win/Win.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #367
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bothersome part of this whole discussion is that it treats things as mutually exclusive.

In reality, the cost of living and buying property is ridiculously high in many cities, many millennials waste a lot of money on stupid things, and many people have little knowledge on how to save or invest wisely.

It's really an all of the above problem.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #368
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
GGG said exactly that a couple pages ago. Its been bugging me ever since.
Well I assumed I didn't have to spell out that the expected value of your return will be higher the variance will also be higher. I thought that was pretty clear when you say assume more risk. Risk in a stock market is variance in outcomes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #369
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Man. What is wrong with my generation? There seems to be a big divide between millenials in their early 30s and the early 20s crowd.
Early 20s is not millenial. Don't lump us in with you weird poor people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
So until I own a house, I guess its just water and cold potatoes for me.
The secret is getting a sugar daddy/momma.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #370
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Early 20s is not millenial. Don't lump us in with you weird poor people.

The secret is getting a sugar daddy/momma.
I got news for you, you weirdo...

researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #371
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I got news for you, you weirdo...

researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
I don't entertain any of the research that suggests Millenials were born after the mid-90s.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #372
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The early 1980s start date for millennial branding always bothered me. Those of us from that time spent a lot of our formative years without the internet and a few other things. The 1990 birthdays are quite different for that reason to be honest.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #373
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Millennial is anyone who turned 18 after 2000.

I am right on the edge of this but consider myself to be part of the Oregon Trail Generation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation
Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #374
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

I am right on the edge of this but consider myself to be part of the Oregon Trail Generation:

Agreed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #375
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Yeah, I've seen Gen X and millennials associated with a number of different time frames.

At one point, I understood it to be the back end of the boom. Birth rates in the boom peaked in 1960 IIRC, and started to trail off form 61 to 66 until a defined decrease in 1967 that continues on until an increase around 1980. It's probably not too much of a stretch to suggest that the core Millennials are 1985'ish and later, and generation itself would be about 20 years. Meaning the post boomer generation is 67 to 85 or so. I'm right in the middle there so I saw computers in school, but they weren't used that regularly until I was out of high school.

I would have to think that as time goes on, each generation is likely starting families and the like on average later in life. I'm just past 40 with a 2 year old daughter....many of the other families taking kids to daycare don't look any younger than me. When I went to senior secondary school (grades 11-12), there was myself and two of my friends in grade 12 who had Dad's that were over 50 Most peoples parents were mid 40's. So for me I had parents who were both born before the baby boom. Whereas many of my friends parents were born at the front end of the boom. But it's not like they were all that different. So as much as the cohorts may be definable, I think any group of people born within 5 years of each other one way or the other can find enough common traits within those sub cohorts.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #376
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The bothersome part of this whole discussion is that it treats things as mutually exclusive.

In reality, the cost of living and buying property is ridiculously high in many cities, many millennials waste a lot of money on stupid things, and many people have little knowledge on how to save or invest wisely.

It's really an all of the above problem.

As a millennial, I've figured out all those other things; home, saving, buying groceries, meal plan and prep, disciplined personal budget etc (I only allow myself avocado on my Chipotle burrito once a year).

But how do I learn how to invest wisely?

I'm the son of immigrates and my dad literally thinks investing means wasting (bad at English). I didn't exactly have a leg up in that department vs my peers whose dads were bankers and old stock Canadians.

Can someone teach me?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #377
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
But how do I learn how to invest wisely?

Can someone teach me?
There's a lot of factors and there's no right answer. How you invest is going to be based on how you want to invest.

The best teacher is experience. I'd suggest taking a small amount (maybe one thousand dollars), buy into something you think will be around in 10 years time and start paying attention to that stock. Once you feel you've figured out how it all works (takes a few weeks reading articles, following stock price trends etc.), decide if you want to do more. My friend did this and after a few months she said she began understanding investing conversations more.

I'm no expert, but IMO from the point of view of someone not in finance, some of the first things you need to ask yourself are:

- Do I want/need an investment advisor paying attention to my finances? I personally do my own.

- What is my risk tolerance? How much am I willing to lose? Dollar amount, percentage etc.

- Diversification. If one thing falls, others (theoretically unaffected) prop up the portfolio. It's a way to mitigate risk. Options for diversification include: collectibles which will appreciate in value, property, stocks in different industries, bonds, mutual fund GIC etc.

- Expectations. I only mention this because of people getting caught up in bad investments. If someone promises you good returns with ZERO risk, always be wary. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

- Time frame. When will you need the money? 1-2 months, 1-2 years, 5+ years etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #378
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
There's a lot of factors and there's no right answer. How you invest is going to be based on how you want to invest.

The best teacher is experience. I'd suggest taking a small amount (maybe one thousand dollars), buy into something you think will be around in 10 years time and start paying attention to that stock. Once you feel you've figured out how it all works (takes a few weeks reading articles, following stock price trends etc.), decide if you want to do more. My friend did this and after a few months she said she began understanding investing conversations more.

I'm no expert, but IMO from the point of view of someone not in finance, some of the first things you need to ask yourself are:
Not to criticize too much, but you've (in my opinion) missed the key point in investing. What you've outlined is speculating based on market trends. Not investing.

Reading articles and analyzing trends is fine, but that makes you no more informed about a company than what the market chooses to tell you, and ultimately it will make you beholden to the market's whims.

To truly understand a company, you need to understand how they make money. By that I mean, learn the business, learn the market in which the business operates, and then understand how that particular businesses' fundamentals stack up within said market.

When all of that is analyzed, you then need to understand the management team, the company's capital structure, and how the management team stewards the capital structure to promote shareholder value first (you are becoming a part owner of a company, after all, best choose someone who has your interests first). Conversely, it will tell you if the management team is only interested in empire building and self aggrandizement.

To pick companies for investment requires substantial skill at analyzing financial statements, market economics, management teams, etc. Merely watching articles and price trends is simply gambling in a different form.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #379
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Can someone teach me?
If you don't think you'll have the skill set or discipline or time to follow the advice of the previous posters, than the other option is to look at low cost ETFs that track major indices.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #380
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Not to criticize too much, but you've (in my opinion) missed the key point in investing. What you've outlined is speculating based on market trends. Not investing.

Reading articles and analyzing trends is fine, but that makes you no more informed about a company than what the market chooses to tell you, and ultimately it will make you beholden to the market's whims.

To truly understand a company, you need to understand how they make money. By that I mean, learn the business, learn the market in which the business operates, and then understand how that particular businesses' fundamentals stack up within said market.

When all of that is analyzed, you then need to understand the management team, the company's capital structure, and how the management team stewards the capital structure to promote shareholder value first (you are becoming a part owner of a company, after all, best choose someone who has your interests first). Conversely, it will tell you if the management team is only interested in empire building and self aggrandizement.

To pick companies for investment requires substantial skill at analyzing financial statements, market economics, management teams, etc. Merely watching articles and price trends is simply gambling in a different form.
I don't disagree, but I think that's just arguing semantics. I also think understanding the management team is a tad bit overkill. Furthermore, what type of investing doesn't involve speculation? I'm not arguing against doing proper due diligence, but the average person probably understands investing as using cash in a way where you expect to make more cash.

I used to suggest a bank stock with dividends as I felt it was one of the easiest companies to understand. Overly simplified, but bank charges, interest etc. aren't hard to understand to the average person. Understanding that's how they make their money to pay your dividend isn't hard either. But some other posters thought it was foolish to invest in a bank when other stocks were yielding better returns in their eyes.

Also, most individuals that ask "how do I invest" aren't clueless to other investments like rental properties. I do agree with you that they don't research proposed investments with the same care as a family home or education, but often aren't interested in doing that much work.

So in the end, what's investing to the average person? Probably, it's making money with your money using the least amount of direct effort as possible. I don't disagree with your thoughts on gambling, but I think we're one the wrong side of the fence similar in ways to the figurative way that literally is now used.

Is this accurate? Or is another millennial thing where we can't figure out the difference between invest and gamble just like they can never seem to figure out need and want or friend and acquaintance?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote