Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #401
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson looks like an interesting player. Would be perfect if he hit from the other side of the plate. Stay away from that Thomas kid. Can't skate based on that video.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #402
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Can't skate based on that video.
Very interesting take
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #403
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drop a few spots in the 1st round to pick up and additional 2nd. Use that 2nd to acquire Grubauer.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #404
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Drop a few spots in the 1st round to pick up and additional 2nd. Use that 2nd to acquire Grubauer.
Trade down scenarios:

16 to Bruins for 18 (Bruins) + 55 (Oilers)

16 to Sens for 28-31 (Sens) + 48 (Flames)

16 to Arizona for 23 (Wild) + 35 (Yotes)

16 to Montreal for 25 (Habs) + 56 (Habs) + 87 (Habs)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #405
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that both McKenzie and Button have Makar going 7th. He's fun to watch so really would be a bummer to see him go to the Coyotes
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #406
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lias Andersson (on the far right) with Marty Brodeur. Looks like he know his way around the weight room

Last edited by Love; 05-14-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 AM   #407
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tolvanen has been falling on a lot of lists, if he fell to us at 16 I would be very excited. He is smaller and a left hand shot, but he's a sniper. Great shot, very good release.l, good hands.

We need more shooters on this team and in the prospect pool.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #408
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Trade down scenarios:

16 to Bruins for 18 (Bruins) + 55 (Oilers)

16 to Sens for 28-31 (Sens) + 48 (Flames)

16 to Arizona for 23 (Wild) + 35 (Yotes)

16 to Montreal for 25 (Habs) + 56 (Habs) + 87 (Habs)
No disrespect but I don't get the desire to trade down, especially in an iffy draft. We have to hit on our first (given that we moved our 2nd and 3rd). Probability of hitting at 16 is higher than the above scenarios as we will have our choice of who to pick can hiping someone falls to us.

Our prospect pool is deeper so there is less urgency to restock the cupboards through quantity, need to focus on quality.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #409
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
No disrespect but I don't get the desire to trade down, especially in an iffy draft. We have to hit on our first (given that we moved our 2nd and 3rd). Probability of hitting at 16 is higher than the above scenarios as we will have our choice of who to pick can hiping someone falls to us.

Our prospect pool is deeper so there is less urgency to restock the cupboards through quantity, need to focus on quality.
I agree. Lots of depth in the pool. If anything I would trade up, but the flames are not really in a position to do that.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #410
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No desire to, just listing some of the possibilities out there based on who below us has multiple 1sts and/or 2nds.

If the Flames list dictates that they can drop down a bit and still get a guy they want while picking up and extra pick, they will do it, especially if it helps them grab a goalie they want for next season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #411
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Tolvanen has been falling on a lot of lists, if he fell to us at 16 I would be very excited. He is smaller and a left hand shot, but he's a sniper. Great shot, very good release.l, good hands.

We need more shooters on this team and in the prospect pool.
We need more good all around players on this team, not just good shooters. Adding one dimensional players isn't what this team needs (don't know enough about this prospect to say if this is the case). If he's a cammalleri type player, pass as teams that win don't have these type of players on their roster. Tippett is another one that gives me pause due to his "best shooter in the draft" status. Players with more goals than assists may be the beneficiary of playing with good players instead of being a good player and making the players around them better.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #412
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Im probably on my own on this thought.

But I think if we cant land Flury or a good option in goal (at a reasonable price) I would be interested in moving up in the draft in a questionable way.

I think I would go after the Dallas 1st pick.

Swap of 1sts, and take one of their goalies.

I think we would have to add a prospect, but I think it would be worth it depending on the prospect.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #413
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post

But I think if we cant land Flury or a good option in goal (at a reasonable price) I would be interested in moving up in the draft in a questionable way.

I think we would have to add a prospect, but I think it would be worth it depending on the prospect.
While I don't know if I agree with this move (probably not) I like to see a little original thinking here.

Lehtonen is not a terrible goalie, he's average, but has suffered in Dallas' lack of a defensive style of play.

If there wasn't a clear cut 1 and 2 in this draft followed by a real guessing game it would be a great idea
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #414
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds like wishful thinking.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #415
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had a quick look at Dallas and they have 20m space, with 4 forwards and 3 d men. Obviously that doesn't count cheap youngsters coming in.

I think that's the best way to get rid of a goalie in terms of money but I don't know what they'd prefer. Clearly they had a plan.

Also noticed hudler and sharp are UFA. Interesting....

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 05-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #416
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just so y'all are aware, you can pre-order the Future Considerations' 2017 NHL Draft Guide and save 20% by using the promo code FUTUREISNOW. Thought I'd pass that along as I always try to knock off a little something for CP. You can order here: https://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-draft-guide/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #417
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving and the Flames don't see it as a move up or move down draft. They have a list of players they want and if the list is gone and they don't like the next band they move down.

If the guy they really want is on the board a few picks before them they move up.

They certainly don't go into a draft with a plan of moving up or down, unless the player they want absolutely needs them to move up.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #418
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

The third overall pick? You think taking on a goalie will move us to the third overall? Even in a weaker draft that's not reasonable, and the old Calgarypuck special "well, toss in a prospect as a sweetener" won't do it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #419
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We need more good all around players on this team, not just good shooters. Adding one dimensional players isn't what this team needs (don't know enough about this prospect to say if this is the case). If he's a cammalleri type player, pass as teams that win don't have these type of players on their roster. Tippett is another one that gives me pause due to his "best shooter in the draft" status. Players with more goals than assists may be the beneficiary of playing with good players instead of being a good player and making the players around them better.
Outside of Monahan this team doesn't have a pure goal scorer on the main team or in the prospect pool. Gaudreau can score goals but he is much more of a pass first player, same with Tkachuk.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #420
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Outside of Monahan this team doesn't have a pure goal scorer on the main team or in the prospect pool. Gaudreau can score goals but he is much more of a pass first player, same with Tkachuk.
Pavel brendl was a great shooter and went very high on his draft year. But never amounted to much because he didn't have a complete game. Not saying Tippett or Tolvanen are same type of player but have to rely on scouts and their judgment to avoid one dimensional players who have great stats but obvious jokes in their game.

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft