Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #181
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
My riding (Victoria) is unfortunate. A poor Green candidate and a very vanilla NDP incumbent (former leader Carole James). Liberals should be a non-factor, though the weak Green candidate may pump up the Liberal vote tally. James will win by 25+ points.

Andrew Weaver (Green leader) will win Oak Bay-Gordon Head easily. If the signs voted, it'd be a landslide (most residential streets have nothing but Green signs). I think it will be.

Saanich North and the Islands might be the most interesting riding in the province. The three candidates were separated by only a couple hundred votes last time. With a strong Green candidate, I see them taking their second seat here.

Cowichan Valley is another strong spot for the Greens. I would expect them to win the seat somewhat handily.

The rest of the island should go NDP, with the possible exception of Esquimalt-Metchosin (high profile Liberal Barb Desjardins) and maybe one of the up island seats (Green or Liberal).

Here is my prediction:

NDP: 43
Liberal: 41
Green: 3

Also, a small piece of data that hasn't been mentioned is that the Greens have been leading on Vancouver Island in the last two Mainstreet polls. And for what it's worth the Green candidates on the island tend to be more qualified than those on the mainland.
Ugh I was so close!

At least I nailed the greens.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #182
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Politicians say a bit of #### in their victory speeches. I trust a politician even less while they are currently under investigation and trial for corruption.
Haha don't get me wrong I know she is completely full of BS but the sentiment is nice tonight. I am pretty happy because tonight no one wins and every one is at least saying they are going to try and work together. That's how politics should really work.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #183
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best case scenario for BC probably. The Lib government will need to work with everyone and can't get careless.

And the good people of this province avoided disasters like $15 minimum wage and $10 childcare.

Well done BC.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #184
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Haha don't get me wrong I know she is completely full of BS but the sentiment is nice tonight. I am pretty happy because tonight no one wins and every one is at least saying they are going to try and work together. That's how politics should really work.
No one except Clark won.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 05-10-2017 at 01:49 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 AM   #185
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Best case scenario for BC probably. The Lib government will need to work with everyone and can't get careless.

And the good people of this province avoided disasters like $15 minimum wage and $10 childcare.

Well done BC.
QUOTE=combustiblefuel;6256451]Ya those would have been good not bad.

They were 2 very popular positions no matter what party you voted for or supported

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 05-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #186
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No one except Clark won.
Not really. Both the NDP and Greens gain power from the previous election. If they work together they have more power than Clark.... at least at this point tonight..
. Anyways in a situation like this no one should be able to eff stuff up that bad so let's be happy with that?
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #187
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Not really. Both the NDP and Greens gain power from the previous election. If they work together they have more power than Clark.... at least at this point tonight..
. Anyways in a situation like this no one should be able to eff stuff up that bad so let's be happy with that?
Both Clark and Weaver are in favour of piplines through B.C even though May is against pipelines.

The Ndp was against pipelines. Thats a majour loss for B.C today. Thats a big #### up. Thats only one example I can name you off the top of my head.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 AM   #188
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ya those would have been good not bad.

They were the most popular staanves no mater what party you voted for.

15/hr still puts you well under the poverty line in bc.
Raising minimum wage hurts small businesses and causes them to either lay off employees or close completely. Either way jobs lost.

Plus it results in higher prices of products. Everyone remains poor because a dollar doesn't go as far.

It likely won't happen now that the NDP lost which makes it a fantastic election outcome on that one issue alone.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #189
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Raising minimum wage hurts small businesses and causes them to either lay off employees or close completely. Either way jobs lost.

Plus it results in higher prices of products. Everyone remains poor because a dollar doesn't go as far.

It likely won't happen now that the NDP lost which makes it a fantastic election outcome on that one issue alone.
Where is the proof of your claims?

I know many small businesses that seem to thrive offering this wage alone. Workers are much happier and give much better customer service and show more commitment level to there jobs. They also are more inclined to spend a little bit more than they usually would into businesses around there place of employment.

This is a silly position stated by bigger corps to save a little profit. If I have more money in my pocket Im know I am inclined to spend more money through out my neighbourhood.

When I worked for around minimum bdespite I had a red aeal in cooking I never spent money at all of I could help it. As soon as I switch to my current profession where they offered my more in terms of wage I ate out for lunch more often , when to my local pet store sepite the prices being a little higher, bought nicer clothes at local stores because I could afford nicer clothing instead of just #### walmart clothes.
Australia has a federal min wage of 15 an hr and it has not hurt them one bit.

Trickle down economics works only if the down of society makes a resonable wage aswell.

The high cost of housing in B.C. is killing us. The majority of jobs despite the low unemployment rate are min wage jobs which you only make $20,100 pre tax. With a 15 hr job you would make 31,000 pre tax. The Average one bedroom apartment for the majority of B.C poulation is $1200 a month. Thats 14,400 a year for a freaking 1 bedroom. $ 2000 a month is the average for a 1 bedroom for the greater Vancouver area. You might think "well #### those guys" but over % 50 of all of B.Cs population lives in Vancouver greater area.

Thanks Liberals

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 05-10-2017 at 03:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 AM   #190
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
This is why Weaver was saying vote for who you want to win. Now the greens hold a lot of power. Who was delusional?

I'd obviously have preferred a Liberal majority, but your line of thinking hurt the Green Party. There are likely people who voted ndp instead of green, which could have given them more seats.
Maybe, but it's also quite possible that without Green -> NDP strategic voting there'd be the same number of Green seats and more Liberal ones.

Strategic voting is still fundamentally sound.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 AM   #191
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Pipelines are federal jurisdiction. Not really sure how much can be done to stop it at this point.
There's lots that can be done to slow it down, though, even though none of it legally valid. No one particularly cares about the constitution, apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think so. There is so much political pressure for at least one pipeline to go through. The Federal Liberals and the Alberta NDP NEED that pipeline to go through.
I feel like it should be reiterated at this point that this isn't even a pipeline construction project. It's a twinning project, the line's already there. There really isn't a new pipeline, it's increased capacity at minimum risk, and even this one is fought tooth and nail because oil is evil I guess. I'm not at all optimistic that any truly new pipelines are actually getting built at this point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #192
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except that the NDP promised a tax break for smaller businesses to help them with the minimum wage. I don't want to get into another debate about the minimum wage on here, but the debate is hardly settled on this topic.

Hell you even had professors from the Sauder Business School stating that they thought the NDP's plan regarding the minimum wage was the best one for B.C.at the moment due to the stagnating wages and escalating costs of living. I actually like the Greens idea of a guaranteed basic income but either way something needs to be done.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #193
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Pipelines are federal jurisdiction. Not really sure how much can be done to stop it at this point.
While this is true, we've all seen how much of a little b---- Trudeau has been in enforcing the rules and actually getting stuff done. He doesn't want to hurt his good guy image so there is little doubt that the provinces hold power.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #194
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To many green voters split the voting here in B.c in so many ridings.

4 more years of Corruption Clark gross.

Prepare for more unaffordable housing, a terrible mental healthcare and disabilities program, risimg cost of living with no wage increase and cuts to the cooperate tax.
After reading this post, I agree with you. The BC government should have invested more into basic education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #195
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So here's a question: is now right about the time when Christy Clark should resign as leader? I mean, stay an MLA, hang on to a cabinet position, but hand the reigns over to someone else who doesn't have the same baggage? I have no particular suggestion as to who, but it seems to me that if they do that now, they have a better shot next time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #196
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling the recount on the 9 vote win could go the liberals way, I'm picturing the Nevada recount on veep

I'm pleasantly surprised that weaver said to support another party that campaign reform on spending was his big demand, the liberals can and should agree to that. It buys them goodwill

I also don't think the greens can form a coalition with the ndp politically, it would lead to another election in probably 18 months and most likely a liberal majority, meaning any big changes they make get reversed anyway

Weaver had said he would take into account who had the most seats ins situation like this as well. He thinks long term goals imo, showing they can be part of a government leading makes them a lot more palatable to people who might dismiss them offhand as a one issue party based on the name.

So barring a recount or absentee voter change, my guess is the liberals declare minority government, the green get a cabinet seat, campaign reform, and a few smaller issues
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #197
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the absentee ballot breakdown for Courtenay-Comox/Comox Valley during the last BC election?

Last edited by Parallex; 05-10-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #198
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So here's a question: is now right about the time when Christy Clark should resign as leader? I mean, stay an MLA, hang on to a cabinet position, but hand the reigns over to someone else who doesn't have the same baggage? I have no particular suggestion as to who, but it seems to me that if they do that now, they have a better shot next time.
I don't think she's built that way. She's an excellent campaigner, so if this is a minority government that doesn't last it would not surprise me at all if it was a BC Lib majority in as little as a year to 18 months.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #199
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know the absentee ballot breakdown for Courtenay-Comox/Comox Valley during the last BC election?
They favored the NDP even though the Liberals won the seat last time:

https://twitter.com/darcyriddell/sta...97362210385920
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #200
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
nm
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote