Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #141
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
He let in a horrible stinker in an elimination playoff game after letting in a number of softies the previous games. "I wouldn't have done anything differently" seems like an odd thing to say
The question wasn't about all the goals, it was about the one goal, which found a hole it had no business finding. If that goal is played that very same very 100 times, it gets saved 95% of the time, so you play those odds. Goaltending is about being in the best position to save a shot, he thinks he was, I don't see a lot to disagree with (I wouldn't classify it as a "horrible stinker," it was one of the luckiest goals he let in).

That's probably one of the few goals he let in this series that he couldn't have played much better and still it found a way. That's certainly not the goal I'd take him to task for.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #142
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The question wasn't about all the goals, it was about the one goal, which found a hole it had no business finding.

If that goal is played that very same very 100 times, it gets saved 95% of the time, so you play those odds.
It found a hole that had no business existing. Played properly, that shot gets saved 100% of the time.

His pad wasn't flat on the ice. Elliott never positioned it that way intentionally, for any advantageous reason, he just goofed up.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #143
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I don't agree with anyone who is defending Elliott on that goal. Period. And the fact that he is in a sense defending himself, by saying he wouldn't have changed anything, is completely asinine.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #144
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, its was a #### goal, and it's on him. But what do you expect him to say? The number of fans who analyze these interviews with the players, coaches and management looking for their own personal satisfaction hoping they throw themselves under the bus just to placate the fans emotions and pretend that's taking ownership is hilarious.

Ownership is getting back on the horse and working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again, and not pointing fingers outwardly. It's not having an emotional tantrum so all the fans having emotional reactions to a loss feel some sort of vindication in the responses.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #145
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was one of the worst goals inside of the blue line I've ever seen in a playoff game.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #146
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I agree, its was a #### goal, and it's on him. But what do you expect him to say? The number of fans who analyze these interviews with the players, coaches and management looking for their own personal satisfaction hoping they throw themselves under the bus just to placate the fans emotions and pretend that's taking ownership is hilarious.

Ownership is getting back on the horse and working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again, and not pointing fingers outwardly. It's not having an emotional tantrum so all the fans having emotional reactions to a loss feel some sort of vindication in the responses.
I expect him to say something like "I normally save those. I misplayed it at the worst possible time".

I get your point though. We are taught at the youngest age to not blame the goalie. Its bad form to do so. We don't need to pile on. But we all know why we lost this series. At least 6 bad goals in 4 games.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #147
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya the right answer there is "uh, keep my pad flat to the ice you idiot".
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #148
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya I agree with everybody who says him saying he wouldn't do anything different is absolutely foolish. He didn't make the save on of the most routine plays in the sport. I get you don't come in front of the media and announce you goofed up but to say you wouldn't play it any different is just stupid. The way you answer the question is "It was a bad goal that I should have had" period.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #149
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Regarding the Francis tweet about Brodie's "weak" excuse for not going... Chad Johnson had some very interesting things to say about the Calgary media. Starts at 2:02:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...ying-hometown/

Talks about how some media members have opinions they maybe shouldn't have, are ignorant, are too vocal for what they're qualified to be, and he even goes as far as to call them trolls in the media.

Gee, I wonder who he could be talking about.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #150
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish there was a little more anger and dissatisfaction with the results.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #151
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Regarding the Francis tweet about Brodie's "weak" excuse for not going... Chad Johnson had some very interesting things to say about the Calgary media. Starts at 2:02:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...ying-hometown/

Talks about how some media members have opinions they maybe shouldn't have, are ignorant, are too vocal for what they're qualified to be, and he even goes as far as to call them trolls in the media.

Gee, I wonder who he could be talking about.
Definitely does sound like he's talking about Francis. Especially the bit about the fans seeing through the schtick of that type of journalist
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #152
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good on Johnson, I don't think he is wrong. Glad someone is calling them out.

It will be an interesting summer to see if either Johnson or Elliot is brought back here. After hearing what Elliot had to say about the goal in game 4, I don't want him back. That is a terrible answer, he should be pissed at himself for that and want to change it. I know he was upset when we got pulled and it showed, it was heartbreaking to see him on the bench afterward, he knew he crapped the bed and let down the team and the fans. But that answer isn't good enough from a veteran.

Thank you to all for posting all this info, CP is a great place for condensed news. The stuff about Francis, man that is a low blow. I agree with others, TJ can choose to be with his wife and stay home, nothing wrong with that. I would call it the opposite of weak, some things are just more important than this tournament.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary journalists (outside of Francis) are Saints compared to most Canadian markets. If Johnson is specifically talking about Calgary media it can only be Francis that he's discussing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #154
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Calgary journalists (outside of Francis) are Saints compared to most Canadian markets. If Johnson is specifically talking about Calgary media it can only be Francis that he's discussing.
Yeah, Calgary media is probably the friendliest to the players in all of Canada.

The fan960 is filled with homers like Derek Wills who can never find fault with the Flames.

Even Lou lately has been an apologist when talking about the Anaheim series making all sorts of excuses for the Flames.

They also only throw soft balls for questions when ever they have anyone from the Flames management on.

Francis is a turd but he's pretty much the only one.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #155
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is disappointing anyone would question Brodie considering the charitable causes he is part of in the off season.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #156
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Francis wasn't even at garbage bag day, he said on the fan he went to his daughters swim meet. Absolutely weak journalism and clearly he doesn't have his priorities straight. Weak.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #157
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Francis wasn't even at garbage bag day, he said on the fan he went to his daughters swim meet. Absolutely weak journalism and clearly he doesn't have his priorities straight. Weak.
Yet he has the audacity to criticize Brodie for not participating in extra curricular duties when he can't even show up for work?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #158
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary has the team-friendliest media?? Haha.

That title clearly belongs to Edmonton.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #159
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Elliott has two options:

1) Admit he sucked during that game and absorb what people feel about that. It likely cost him even more millions in contract negotiations.
2) Justify his play and hope it is believed. No fan is in a position to argue with a good NHL goalie. Since media responses are for the fans (post-season meetings are for the hockey GMs), he has no reason to pander to whomever is listening with the truth.

Given that players are trained to give responses to the media, and especially directed by their agents about potential hard questions, I think people look too deep into these answers. They're not a reflection of what Elliott feels, they're a reflection of what his agent feels was the best response for the fans and hockey minds listening.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #160
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing Twitter hasn't been kind to Mr. Francis since his comment:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote