Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames add Iginla if the cost is reasonable?
Yes 357 50.78%
No 346 49.22%
Voters: 703. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #421
aaron5425
Draft Pick

I have a theory and am curious of people's opinion.

To the best of my knowledge the STH waitlist is empty, which makes me think ownership is nervous about increasing prices for next year. If they sign Iggy and continue on track to make the playoffs it should allow them to raise prices and generate more interest in Hot House Membership. Even though Iggy is only a rental for this season, it would still be enough to get people to sign up for Season Tickets.

Maybe I'm totally off base, I guess we'll see Wednesday
aaron5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #422
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron5425 View Post

To the best of my knowledge the STH waitlist is empty, which makes me think ownership is nervous about increasing prices for next year. If they sign Iggy and continue on track to make the playoffs it should allow them to raise prices and generate more interest in Hot House Membership. Even though Iggy is only a rental for this season, it would still be enough to get people to sign up for Season Tickets.

If anything this would indicate ownership would be approving of an Iginla return, but I don't think they'd try and put pressure on Burke and Treliving to actually make the move happen. It just mean they'd get an easy green light from King and Edwards if approached.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #423
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A 39 (almost 40) year old shadow of his prior self. Little grit left. No jump left. Loves to cherry pick in the neutral zone while his teammates play short handed in the defensive end. No thanks! No more fataing retreads.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #424
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
A 39 (almost 40) year old shadow of his prior self. Little grit left. No jump left. Loves to cherry pick in the neutral zone while his teammates play short handed in the defensive end. No thanks! No more fataing retreads.
So what you're saying is he's the hero this city deserves but not the one it needs right now?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #425
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe I'm too risk-adverse, but I don't particularly want to mess with the chemistry we have working right now. Unless we get a legitimate 1st line RW, I don't see the point of adding anything more.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #426
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone considered the cap hit that Iginla also carries with him? Even if 50% were to be retained, his cap hit would still be over 1 million. With the acquisition of Stone and a potential Wideman trade looking unlikely, I'm not even sure the Flames can comfortably afford his cap hit.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #427
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Has anyone considered the cap hit that Iginla also carries with him? Even if 50% were to be retained, his cap hit would still be over 1 million. With the acquisition of Stone and a potential Wideman trade looking unlikely, I'm not even sure the Flames can comfortably afford his cap hit.
I think anyone with any sense who's considered it would assume we'd be sending something back in the form of enough salary to make it work. Really, that would apply to pretty much any roster based trade we'd be making in the next 30 hours would it not?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 PM   #428
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Bringing in Iggy wouldn't be living in the past. At least on the part of the organization. I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to know that if they were to bring him in they know that he isn't their #1 RW who drives the team. I think management and coaches would know that he is a support player at this point in his career.

Fans may be living in the past.

Would I want them to bring him back? Yes. Why? Well, I think he can fill a need on the bottom lines and maybe a good piece on the 2nd PP unit. With or without a letter, he'd still be a good leader, even if it is for a short time... and part of me would love to see him close out his career wearing a Flames uniform for his last game. Part of me is being realistic, the other part wants the feel good story.
It hurts to say it as I'm as big a fan as he's ever had...but ge's old and slow in a fast young man's game. His best leadership years were all under Sutter - who was the real captain in 04. He was never a stud defensively, so what's left?

Scoring? He's on pace for what, 12 goals? Good players on bad teams get more ice and more points as a result (see Glencross and Hudler). So he whole "Col is dragging him down" doesn't play for me.

If he wasn't named Iginla most folks wouldn't entertain the notion. But they do based on heart and history. I feel the tug too, but that's no way to run a team.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #429
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is rolling. An iggy trade makes no sense except to some fans that think it's the perfect fairy tale ending.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #430
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Ain't going to happen.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #431
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

If this is the best that they can do to spur interest and boost slow season's ticket sales,please just stop trying and sell this team to a group that can take it out of perpetual mediocrity both on and off the ice...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tfi racing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 AM   #432
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Scoring? He's on pace for what, 12 goals? Good players on bad teams get more ice and more points as a result (see Glencross and Hudler). So he whole "Col is dragging him down" doesn't play for me.
In this case, I think you should reconsider. MacKinnon plays about 5 and a half more minutes per game than Iginla and with better linemates yet he only has 4 more goals. Duchene leads that team with 16 goals. How do you explain their low numbers given what you have said about good players racking up big numbers on bad teams?

He's 5th on the Avs in PP ice time but 4th in points and tied for the lead in PP goals. It also looks like he's having some bad luck this year as his career worst shooting percentage is nearly half his career average at 7% (vs 13.1% --- he had a 12.1% shooting percentage last season). He's 5th on the team in shots on goal, behind MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie.

His advanced stats aren't all that bad either. 48% of his zone starts are in the defensive zone, yet the Avs generate more shot attempts when he's on the ice than when he isn't (1.9 SAT relative score).

Colorado is an incredibly bad team. Here are some team stats to give context:
Goals For Per Game: 2.02 -- 30th
Goals Against Per Game: 3.30 -- 30th
Shots On Goal: 28.2 -- 27th
Shots Against: 32.4 -- 27th
Power Play: 13.9% -- 29th
Penalty Kill: 78.5% -- 24th
Shot Attempts: 47.5% - 25th
5 on 5 Save Percentage: .909 -- 28th

The point being, his numbers aren't that bad when put in context and he's likely got more to give if put in a better situation where there is something to play for. Iginla is 39 and may be in his last season. He plays for what might be the worst team in the past decade (their point percentage is currently .308 -- the next worst post lockout team was the Sabres in 13-14 with a .317 rate).

I'd like to see him come back to the Flames and put in his final stretch in front of Flames fans in the midst of a crazy playoff race and into the playoffs. I simply don't agree with people who suggest that his game has completely fallen off a cliff and, even if his numbers aren't great, I would expect them to improve once he is in a better situation. And as fan of Iginla's I want -and expect- him to have a few more big moments while wearing the flaming C. It'd be an absolute blast to watch.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #433
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I think anyone with any sense who's considered it would assume we'd be sending something back in the form of enough salary to make it work. Really, that would apply to pretty much any roster based trade we'd be making in the next 30 hours would it not?
Pretty much the only guys with enough salary to make it work, yet who you could see the Flames going without, would be Wideman, Bouma, and maybe Stajan (but losing a centre doesn't really work very well).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #434
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
In this case, I think you should reconsider. MacKinnon plays about 5 and a half more minutes per game than Iginla and with better linemates yet he only has 4 more goals. Duchene leads that team with 16 goals. How do you explain their low numbers given what you have said about good players racking up big numbers on bad teams?

He's 5th on the Avs in PP ice time but 4th in points and tied for the lead in PP goals. It also looks like he's having some bad luck this year as his career worst shooting percentage is nearly half his career average at 7% (vs 13.1% --- he had a 12.1% shooting percentage last season). He's 5th on the team in shots on goal, behind MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie.

His advanced stats aren't all that bad either. 48% of his zone starts are in the defensive zone, yet the Avs generate more shot attempts when he's on the ice than when he isn't (1.9 SAT relative score).

Colorado is an incredibly bad team. Here are some team stats to give context:
Goals For Per Game: 2.02 -- 30th
Goals Against Per Game: 3.30 -- 30th
Shots On Goal: 28.2 -- 27th
Shots Against: 32.4 -- 27th
Power Play: 13.9% -- 29th
Penalty Kill: 78.5% -- 24th
Shot Attempts: 47.5% - 25th
5 on 5 Save Percentage: .909 -- 28th

The point being, his numbers aren't that bad when put in context and he's likely got more to give if put in a better situation where there is something to play for. Iginla is 39 and may be in his last season. He plays for what might be the worst team in the past decade (their point percentage is currently .308 -- the next worst post lockout team was the Sabres in 13-14 with a .317 rate).

I'd like to see him come back to the Flames and put in his final stretch in front of Flames fans in the midst of a crazy playoff race and into the playoffs. I simply don't agree with people who suggest that his game has completely fallen off a cliff and, even if his numbers aren't great, I would expect them to improve once he is in a better situation. And as fan of Iginla's I want -and expect- him to have a few more big moments while wearing the flaming C. It'd be an absolute blast to watch.
Man thank you for spelling out my thoughts. That Avs team is dismal. Every individual on that team is struggling. It's not shocking a 39 year old Iggy is struggling as well.

Of course the dream is to win the Cup and have Gio hand it to Jarome. But even just one playoff round with Iggy getting limited minutes would be a nice gesture from the club and a fitting send off for a legend of the game. It would do no harm to the club to trade for him. Of this I am sure.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #435
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
In this case, I think you should reconsider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1Qc6M-z2w

#KungPow
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #436
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think Iginal factors into that equation, but making the playoffs do. So it does increase the chances we could acquire Iggy, if the the management thinks it will help us make the playoffs, because the team would be even more motivated to make it as it will certainly help with not only playoff ticket sales, but more sales for next year.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #437
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I would think Iggy as a rental would have zero effect on season ticket prices/sales.

The only reason to trade for Iggy, is if you think he can actually improve the team's chances at a reasonable cost. I personally don't think so.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #438
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's Joel Otto doing?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #439
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I would think Iggy as a rental would have zero effect on season ticket prices/sales.

The only reason to trade for Iggy, is if you think he can actually improve the team's chances at a reasonable cost. I personally don't think so.
If he helped the team win a round, or two, or three, or a cup, you can be sure ticket sales for next year would rise.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #440
Gunkle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven't logged-in in ages.

Stop the Jarome silliness.

He was out of gas years before he left.

Enjoy your fond memories. Move on.
Gunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunkle For This Useful Post:

Tags
bringhomejarome , gaudreau to iginla , iggy iggy iggy , oi oi oi! , yeah baby!