Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #2921
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They'd better make the playoffs this year and win the cup next year or their window will probably slam shut pretty hard unless they gut guys out of their lineup for very little return.

I'm still not convinced that they'll make the playoffs this year. They're and I will correct a previous statement. Getting stellar performances out of McDavid, Talbot, Draisaitl and Maroon. The rest range from ordinary to non existent. They're on track to playing their goalie for 75 games. And they seem to be winning a lot of gimmick games.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #2922
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
As much as it sucks they get full marks for having the current longest winning streak in the NHL. Still lots of hockey to be played, and at some point you have to wonder if they start thinking about the playing time Talbot has. I think they understand that their chances without him go down dramatically which is why they have been playing him so much. Will be curious to see who the Flames play on Saturday.
Yah, I would imagine Brossoit gets either Nashville tomorrow or Calgary on Saturday. And based on that game and maybe a couple more before the TDL they might chase a back up. If he plays well they might just run with him.

He has had an up and down season in the AHL this year.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #2923
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers have 5 Back to back situations left (Flames have 2). There is definitely opportunities to close the gap. No bigger than Saturday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #2924
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
But did you see the overtime mcdavid goal? The keeper glove saved it and they reviewed it and said the puck was over the line in his glove. If that were us we probably give a penalty away for talking to the ref.
You can see McDavid shoot the puck into Reimer's glove. You can see the glove in the net. It's a goal. It's a goal that made me swear at the TV.

The Tanguay shootout goal on 7uongo was way less definitive than McDavid's goal on Reimer.

This was the same game that Bieksa got TKo'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 01-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #2925
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The Oilers have 5 Back to back situations left (Flames have 2). There is definitely opportunities to close the gap. No bigger than Saturday.
I kind of think the back to back game thing is a little overrated. Flames looked fine last week in Edmonton on the back half and the Panthers looked better last night than they did the day before against the Flames. In the old days playoff series were played back to back with days off only for travel and it's only in recent decades where a big deal has been made of back to back games. Players are pretty well conditioned these days.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #2926
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah, I would imagine Brossoit gets either Nashville tomorrow or Calgary on Saturday. And based on that game and maybe a couple more before the TDL they might chase a back up. If he plays well they might just run with him.

He has had an up and down season in the AHL this year.
I would bet the Flames get Talbot. Provincial rivals, division rivals, higher in the standings, away game.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #2927
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I kind of think the back to back game thing is a little overrated. Flames looked fine last week in Edmonton on the back half and the Panthers looked better last night than they did the day before against the Flames. In the old days playoff series were played back to back with days off only for travel and it's only in recent decades where a big deal has been made of back to back games. Players are pretty well conditioned these days.
Even moreso considering the minimal travel time between Calgary and Edmonton.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #2928
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You can see McDavid shoot the puck into Reimer's glove. You can see the glove in the net. It's a goal. It's a goal that made me swear at the TV.

The Tanguay shootout goal on 7uongo was way less definitive than McDavid's goal on Reimer.

This was the same game that Bieksa got TKo'd.

Kevin Weeks is terrible lol

Puck is obviously in his pad the ref found it afterwards
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #2929
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to mention junior hockey is mostly played on the weekends and teams in the AHL occasionally will play Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday.

This is nothing new to these guys.

I'd say it's just as common to see teams play bad coming off of 3-4+ days off as in a back to back situation.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #2930
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agree with the above posts.

This talk about the Oilers favorable schedule due to playing a tired team on the second of back-to-back nights is a bit overdone.

I've seen many games where the team that is playing on a second of a B2B night performs better. If a team loses the first night, they are more hungry to perform the next.

In addition, these guys are conditioned professional athletes that have been playing hockey their whole lives, including many long trips on much less luxurious modes of transport/accommodation, and playing 2-3 nights in a row on many occasions.

Further, the Oilers are always in the top 5 of the most air miles flown during the season (as are the Flames I believe), so it's not like they don't have stretches of long hours flown and getting into hotels late at night, etc.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #2931
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you have to look at sample size there. There are going to be annomalies but I think when you take rested vs unrested teams there is a noted difference.

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-rest-makes-a-...mance-1.120073

Quote:
The data substantiates what the eyeball test has told us for so long – teams on no rest struggle considerably relative to league norms, considerably so when those back-to-backs come on the road.
For the record 4 of the 5 B2B for Oilers are where both games are road games. The 5th is the game this Saturday. So yeah I do think that is a factor.

Last edited by Robbob; 01-19-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #2932
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

oh Gene...

Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #2933
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
oh Gene...
#### me. Seriously? Every time I think he's the most embarrassing personality on TV he clears the bar by leaps and bounds.

How does he actually stay employed?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #2934
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
#### me. Seriously? Every time I think he's the most embarrassing personality on TV he clears the bar by leaps and bounds.

How does he actually stay employed?
Because the same sort of idiots who voted for the orange goblin because he "tells it like it is" are highly representative of the idiots who watch Rogers sponsored Rogers broadcasts from Rogers shiny new building (full of flaws) on Rogers Sportsnet with personalities like this Rogers employee.

Rogers Sportsnet is basically Fox News.

Sadly, TSN isn't much better. They ignored the Flames when the team was good and circle-jerked Hall, The Tenderness and YakCity for years.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #2935
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

If that was all one segment, that's kind of funny. If he broke it up over a period of a game, that's sad.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #2936
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
If that was all one segment, that's kind of funny. If he broke it up over a period of a game, that's sad.
No. It's sad at any point. And it plays right into the Coilers fanbase.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #2937
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the enemy barn thanks to work. This game is super boring, the arena is nice but damn quiet, barely a peep from the crowd, and some ####### keeps leaning forward in front of me.

How is this team so high in the standings?!

God I hate the oilers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #2938
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gene takes the ####ing cake on this one
Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #2939
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, after nashvilles first goal, a bunch of dudes in oiler jerseys walking out cheering Austin Mathews. Daaaaa fuq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #2940
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
In the enemy barn thanks to work. This game is super boring, the arena is nice but damn quiet, barely a peep from the crowd, and some ####### keeps leaning forward in front of me.
HAHA their fans used to get so pissed if you leaned forward for more than a nano-second in their old dump.

So much for "amazing sight lines". Just add it to the pile of lies along with bathrooms line-ups and actual 20oz beers!
Closed Thread