Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #821
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish goalie mask designers would ditch all of the gradients, drop shadows, and other special effects and design something with clean lines that's not overly busy. The majority of masks today don't look very good.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #822
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Spoiler!

Say what you will about DaveArt's stuff (which I am not at all a fan of) and his overrelliance on "BlahBlah TECHXXFXXXX" bullcrap, that dude is talented. Getting all the ghosted soccer images and the Zlatan Ibrahimovic pictures and such into this mask the way he did? That's actually extremely impressive.

Yeah, his stuff is overly busy, but if a goalie could go to this guy and get him to tone-down a design and do something a little more geometric and a little less dragon-scales, lightning, and lens-flares I think it'd be amazing.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #823
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Spoiler!

Say what you will about DaveArt's stuff (which I am not at all a fan of) and his overrelliance on "BlahBlah TECHXXFXXXX" bullcrap, that dude is talented. Getting all the ghosted soccer images and the Zlatan Ibrahimovic pictures and such into this mask the way he did? That's actually extremely impressive.

Yeah, his stuff is overly busy, but if a goalie could go to this guy and get him to tone-down a design and do something a little more geometric and a little less dragon-scales, lightning, and lens-flares I think it'd be amazing.
Oh for sure he's obviously got skills. I couldn't make something like that in 10 lifetimes. He just shouldn't use everything he knows at the same time.

And that "Cradle of Creativity" tagline is just so stupid.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #824
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Oh for sure he's obviously got skills. I couldn't make something like that in 10 lifetimes. He just shouldn't use everything he knows at the same time.

And that "Cradle of Creativity" tagline is just so stupid.
How stupid can it be if it has you talking about his product? It's doing exactly as it is meant to do.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #825
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
How stupid can it be if it has you talking about his product? It's doing exactly as it is meant to do.
Ha ha. It's stupid alright. More arrogant than anything really.

But whatever. He's obviously successful at what he does. He's painting masks for the World Cup for crying out loud. You literally can't get a bigger gig than that in the mask-painting game.

I just don't like it. For the same reason I don't like those paintings with olives with legs and arms.

EDIT: actually, not for the same reason I don't like those paintings with legs and arms. This Dave guy is clearly talented even if I don't like it. That olive guy is a hack.

Last edited by RougeUnderoos; 09-02-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #826
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Two words: Oilers, Edmonton

Very stupid and very bad - and I talk about them all the time!
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #827
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #828
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha. It's stupid alright. More arrogant than anything really.

But whatever. He's obviously successful at what he does. He's painting masks for the World Cup for crying out loud. You literally can't get a bigger gig than that in the mask-painting game.

I just don't like it. For the same reason I don't like those paintings with olives with legs and arms.

EDIT: actually, not for the same reason I don't like those paintings with legs and arms. This Dave guy is clearly talented even if I don't like it. That olive guy is a hack.
It's called marketing, what about marketing isn't arrogant? The entire point is to make your product seem better than a similar product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Two words: Oilers, Edmonton

Very stupid and very bad - and I talk about them all the time!
If you don't understand the difference between marketing and team management, perhaps you have more in common with the OIlers than you are aware.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #829
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's called marketing, what about marketing isn't arrogant? The entire point is to make your product seem better than a similar product.
Yeah thanks, I recognize it's "marketing", it's just bad marketing. It's a stupid tagline. Have you never seen a bad commercial? Heard an annoying ad on the Fan? Same thing.

-- this post brought to you by RougeUnderoos, The Birthplace of Message Board Posting --

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #830
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #831
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sort of like a modern take on the old NHL all-star game color scheme. They should have more orange in their gloves and pads. Own it!

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #832
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with Murray's all black setup (including an all black stick)? Is there some kind of lame sponsorship requirement that doesn't let him have any Vaughn logos on his gear?

This was posted earlier:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #833
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #834
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I wish goalie mask designers would ditch all of the gradients, drop shadows, and other special effects and design something with clean lines that's not overly busy. The majority of masks today don't look very good.
Believe it or not it's up to the players to decide if they want drop shadows and gradients, not the painters
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #835
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by doctajones428; 09-06-2016 at 01:39 PM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #836
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't understand the difference between marketing and team management, perhaps you have more in common with the OIlers than you are aware.
oh I undertand alright. I just don't believe that "Cradle of Creativity" has done anything to further his brand. He could have used literally almost anything else and I don't think he would be any more or less popular. It's his product that markets itself not his tag line.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #837
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah thanks, I recognize it's "marketing", it's just bad marketing. It's a stupid tagline. Have you never seen a bad commercial? Heard an annoying ad on the Fan? Same thing.
Some of the worst ads have been the most effective though, if it makes people talk about your product you are doing something right because the more discussion the more likely they are to remember you.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #838
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
What's with Murray's all black setup (including an all black stick)? Is there some kind of lame sponsorship requirement that doesn't let him have any Vaughn logos on his gear?
This is the info I could find as to why the Vaughn logos are blacked out.

Many have asked why Vaughn logos are marked out for the WCH2016. While Vaughn does pay the NHL licensing fees during the regular season, the rule for the tournament was that only companies who provided the athletes with complementary gear would be permitted to have their logo shown. Normally during the season NHL teams foot the bill for player equipment, however the NHL likely did not want to pay for the tournament gear. Accordingly, Vaughn has been required to mark out their logos for the WC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #839
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Rask's WCH mask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #840
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
And Rask's WCH mask.

Will Rask have to ask DaveArt to apply some Invisible Wizard Tech to the logo in the mouth?
Demaeon is online now   Reply With Quote