Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #141
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Can't understand the benefit of bridging and buying a separate router when the shaw one seems to work. Maybe I'm missing something.
The old Shaw Cisco modem/router couldn't get a signal to the top floor of my house. So I bought a Netgear Nighthawk and the signal is vastly improved.

There is no way a company can manufacture a top end wireless router and modem in one package at a cost effective price. By bridging your getting better signal and faster transfer speeds (if you go with a mid/high router). Due to the fact you are delegating two tasks with two pieces of equipment.

Plus you can get better control over the configuration. Not that I use that mind you. I just like that I can actually get a fast signal in my house.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #142
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

With the Shaw speed test you are only testing within Shaw's local network. With Speedtest.net you are seeing your true internet speed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #143
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
So I switched over to the 150 plan for Shaw but curious why I'm getting different speed test results?

I did a speed test on speedest.shaw.ca and I'm getting 174.70 mbps download, 16.27 mbps upload and 14ms ping.

30 seconds later I did a speed test on Speedtest.net and I'm getting 47.05 mbps download, 16.24 mbps upload and 15ms ping.

What could be causing the HUGE discrepancy in download speed test results?
Try changing the server that speedtest.net is using. I notice it will default me to a poor one sometimes that just can't accurately test higher bandwidth speeds. I usually switch to the Telus server (definitely no preferential treatment) and have no problems getting 170 down
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #144
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Try changing the server that speedtest.net is using. I notice it will default me to a poor one sometimes that just can't accurately test higher bandwidth speeds. I usually switch to the Telus server (definitely no preferential treatment) and have no problems getting 170 down
You're absolutely right this made the difference, thanks!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #145
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

So frustrating leaving telus. Had to hang up on the retentions guy....

"If I was you, I would stay"
"is 150 really going to be 150? We are telling you we can only get 50 to you so we have good service"
"You need to buy the boxes from Shaw" No they are giving me three. "Well if they break then you have to buy" (Not sure if that's true.)
Why can't a person just Effin cancel.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #146
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
So frustrating leaving telus. Had to hang up on the retentions guy....

"If I was you, I would stay"
"is 150 really going to be 150? We are telling you we can only get 50 to you so we have good service"
"You need to buy the boxes from Shaw" No they are giving me three. "Well if they break then you have to buy" (Not sure if that's true.)
Why can't a person just Effin cancel.
If you're set on switching shaw will cancel your account with then for you. No need to deal with telus at all unless youre getting them to price match.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #147
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My experience both times has been pleasant with Telus and my brother also had a pleasant experience. Both times they made it clear that they'd do their best to give me a good offer for me to consider and then said if you're not happy we will cancel and even asked if he could even give me an offer instead of just cancelling right away.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #148
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Thanks thread! Just saved $10/month and tripled my speed.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #149
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I called Telus to see what I could do as I'm currently on Internet 15 paying $68.

Offer 1:

Telus 25 which would be $35 for 6 months then $68 for 6 months after that and then full regular price

Telus 50 which would be $45 for 6 months then $83 for 6 months after that and then full regular price.

I mentioned how people are getting Telus 50 for $33 a month for 1 year and Internet 25 for $35 for a full year according to many online places so I don't feel their offer is competitive at all. I also explained how Shaw's 150 is less then that for quite a bit more speed. They explained I'm capped to 50 in my area and that based on my TV abilities this is all they could offer me and what is my decision. Told them I guess its putting a call into Shaw.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #150
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Telus will probably raise their mobile prices to compensate for the loss in internet users.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #151
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who owns their modem get this deal yet? I'm supposed to talk to someone about getting the deal tomorrow, but I'm just curious why owning my own modem caused me to not be able to get the deal immediately.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #152
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
So I called Telus to see what I could do as I'm currently on Internet 15 paying $68.

Offer 1:

Telus 25 which would be $35 for 6 months then $68 for 6 months after that and then full regular price

Telus 50 which would be $45 for 6 months then $83 for 6 months after that and then full regular price.

I mentioned how people are getting Telus 50 for $33 a month for 1 year and Internet 25 for $35 for a full year according to many online places so I don't feel their offer is competitive at all. I also explained how Shaw's 150 is less then that for quite a bit more speed. They explained I'm capped to 50 in my area and that based on my TV abilities this is all they could offer me and what is my decision. Told them I guess its putting a call into Shaw.
The $68 and the $83 is the full regular price with TELUS if you also have another product with them, so you wouldn't see another increase after that.

Other people are getting the full year so this agent was likely just a stickler.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #153
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post

Offer 1:

That's bull####. Customers should be given the same offers no matter the csr. I've been told twice they'll price match with Shaw completely. I already have 50mb but that's the max I can get. They will give me that for $45 for year one and $80 year two. They'll gave me the TV package for $35 year 1 and $65 year 2. No further discount offered to me even though they can only offer me 50mb.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #154
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the Cisco modem work with the new 150 service? Would love to not have to go in and do the swap.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #155
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Telus will probably raise their mobile prices to compensate for the loss in internet users.
Good luck with that, Bell will eat their lunch if they try. Bell is already aggressively poaching users from them.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #156
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Does the Cisco modem work with the new 150 service? Would love to not have to go in and do the swap.
Would be nice. It would work,but you wouldn't get the full speeds.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #157
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My Telus speed is Internet 15, and that's the best they have in my area (Okotoks).

So yeah, I just switched. Total no brainer.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #158
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The $68 and the $83 is the full regular price with TELUS if you also have another product with them, so you wouldn't see another increase after that.

Other people are getting the full year so this agent was likely just a stickler.
Yea, I just went to look at the site and saw that. I have TV currently (Grandfathered in Medium Combo plan with 6 packages for $72/month) and a Cellphone) so that would be my price afterwards.

Most deals I've saw are for a full year. I did a little research and found that Internet 25 was getting it at $33/month for a year and 50 was $45/month for a year.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #159
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
It doesn't work like that.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #160
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
You could also probably add a wireless extender to boost speeds further away from the modem.
I decided to get off my lazy ass and run a wire down to my office from the router instead of buying different hardware.

Downloaded a 4GB game off of steam in 4 minutes. So that was fun!
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150