Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #61
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe you are a barista at the coffee shop where Dion takes his mechanic lady date. Then, he strikes up a conversation with you about how bitter dark roast tastes in comparison with medium roast. Then he talks about how he likes that little shaker thing of vanilla powder, but you don't hear the rest because ... the hair. THE HAIR.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #62
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a condo/townhome building in Vancouver that I looked at. Inside, the places are outstanding. Unfortunately, someone thought it was a good idea to cover the outside with rusted steel.Here's a Google map link. You can move it around and see how bad it is: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.26598...7i13312!8i6656

You can also see they gave all the street doors a gate in front of the door on the sidewalk. There is nothing on either side of the gate, so you could just walk around it. They were originally going to call it Sixth & Steel, to go with the rusted steel, but went with Sixth & Willow, for the street address. Here are some really good shots of how bad this is: http://jonnypicture.com/sixth-willow/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #63
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Can you get your priorities straight! It's the giant tetanus-covered public monument creating lockjaw in all of our young skateboarding children that is the threat.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic...

Quote:
Rust is not in and of itself a C. tetani carrier; rather, the thinking goes that if the nail has been outside long enough to get rusty, then it's probably been exposed to soils containing the bacteria. The crevices of the rust give the soil a place to hide, and the deep puncture wound gives the C. tetani a place to do its work. Any injury related to puncture is reason for concern, though, no matter how clean the piercing object seemed to be.
Quote:
If you do step on a rusty nail or suffer a similar injury, bear in mind that the spores of C. tetani are resistant to antiseptics that are used to clean wounds. You'll have to head to the hospital for an antitoxin known as tetanus immune globulin. The antitoxin must be administered soon after the injury as it can only attack circulating toxins, not the tetanospasmin which may have already attached itself to a nerve ending. Those who don't seek treatment face the risk of their entire body freezing up
http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...l-tetanus1.htm

I don't disagree the rust art thing is a bit odd and also not really my cup of tea, but the tetanus outcry regarding rust is a little excessive me thinks.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #64
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
There's a condo/townhome building in Vancouver that I looked at. Inside, the places are outstanding. Unfortunately, someone thought it was a good idea to cover the outside with rusted steel.Here's a Google map link. You can move it around and see how bad it is: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.26598...7i13312!8i6656

You can also see they gave all the street doors a gate in front of the door on the sidewalk. There is nothing on either side of the gate, so you could just walk around it. They were originally going to call it Sixth & Steel, to go with the rusted steel, but went with Sixth & Willow, for the street address. Here are some really good shots of how bad this is: http://jonnypicture.com/sixth-willow/
What do you mean, every day I wake up and look out my bedroom window and wished it felt more like Jail. Everything is just more simple on the inside...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #65
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was being sarcastic, but genuinely naive as to the cause of tetanus. I actually thought it was just a bacteria that lived in all rust, which I guess was pretty dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #66
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I was being sarcastic, but genuinely naive as to the cause of tetanus. I actually thought it was just a bacteria that lived in all rust, which I guess was pretty dumb.
Well, I am no expert either. I just knew it was mainly soil it lived in and not specifically rust. A rusty nail can have it, moreso because it's associated with dirt on the ground than the rust on the nail itself.

However, until the above link, I didn't know it involved the second most powerful toxin behind botulism. I also didn't know the spores are immune to antiseptics. Now I know why they keep asking about this shot when you get stitches.

I mean... I know the city is dumb at times, but I doubt they'd put works of rusty art out to actively use tetanus to cull our population at random .
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #67
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was kind of enamoured with the idea because it would be pretty hilarious. And also a good excuse to tear it down.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #68
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wow, who in their right mind approves this design...forget how awful the rust is, it basically looks like a jail. I mean suppose theres a fire can you even jump out the window?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #69
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone else looked at these thing up on Nose Hill Park and thought, someone is going to rip their guts out crashing into one?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #70
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
We won the war on Rats.

Legit. No one else can say that.
Not in my province! Suck it Rats!
Spoiler!
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #71
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Not in my province! Suck it Rats!
Spoiler!
haha

I remember buying this T-Shirt at McDougall Centre downtown

Spoiler!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Has anyone else looked at these thing up on Nose Hill Park and thought, someone is going to rip their guts out crashing into one?
Every time I ride past one I get all nervous. What a stupid idea. And they are everywhere, for no apparent reason. The city seams insistent on making it less and less natural every chance they get. But that's a rant for another thread...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #73
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Every time I ride past one I get all nervous. What a stupid idea. And they are everywhere, for no apparent reason. The city seams insistent on making it less and less natural every chance they get. But that's a rant for another thread...
What are they? I haven't been to Nosehill in probably eight years.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #74
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just these 2 foot high rusted metal marker pylons, often to the side, but sometimes right in the middle of the trails. When the grass grows long they can get covered.
Found a picture:
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #75
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just these 2 foot high rusted metal marker pylons, often to the side, but sometimes right in the middle of the trails. When the grass grows long they can get covered.
And they're made out of Calgary's finest rusty material? Unreal. I didn't even know this problem was as big as it is when I started this thread. Future generations are going to shake their head at this, I guarantee.

In fact, if you're reading this thread in the future, we all say 'hi' and as you can see, a lot of us thought it was a ridiculous material as well.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It looks like an institution that belongs on Shutter Island.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not even the weirdest implementation of the dilapidated metal construction project thing; W tower downtown is just eugh...

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #78
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, my father-in-law was on the design team for that monstrosity.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #79
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does he feel about how it turned out? My view is that if anything ever perfectly exemplified the phrase "sticks out like a sore thumb", that building is it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #80
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually really like that building.

I get that it isn't for everyone, I probably wouldn't want a skyline full of them, but it's a nice alternative to Vancouver's disgusting amount of green glass.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote