Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #181
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's too bad this was the game ESPN chose to show last night on TV. I like that ESPN shows games, but it was as snoozer until the 4th.

I'm interested in CFL viewership in the States. Maybe that Highwayman18 or whatever can get that info. Seems like he's in the know.
Love the NFL but American fans should be used to watching snooze fests. They're a plenty.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #182
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Love the NFL but American fans should be used to watching snooze fests. They're a plenty.
True. I think some of the quirky rules turn off would-be American fans from an entertaining CFL game. But sometimes talking about CFL rules to CFL fans is like talking about gun regulation to a gun enthusiast (they want no part of it), but I think the CFL could use a few rule changes.

Folks in the USA who follow the CFL are usually fans of college players who go up to Canada to play. They could get possibly more fans if the rules were more similar to NFL.

But I digress.

I agree Sask is no good.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #183
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's too bad this was the game ESPN chose to show last night on TV. I like that ESPN shows games, but it was as snoozer until the 4th.

I'm interested in CFL viewership in the States. Maybe that Highwayman18 or whatever can get that info. Seems like he's in the know.
http://www.oursportscentral.com/boar...ad.php?t=23483

Looks like they draw pretty consistently between 150,000 and 200,000. Better than the WNBA, MLS, and Arena Football. Nothing spectacular, but it basically costs ESPN nothing to produce and there are no "home teams" playing, it's not too bad.

Macleans did a story last month saying that 1 in 10 Americans claim to follow the CFL either "fairly closely" or "very closely": http://www.macleans.ca/society/two-p...rican-viewers/

I'm always surprised by how many Americans I've talked to while travelling who bring up the CFL when they find out I'm Canadian.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #184
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
http://www.oursportscentral.com/boar...ad.php?t=23483

Looks like they draw pretty consistently between 150,000 and 200,000. Better than the WNBA, MLS, and Arena Football. Nothing spectacular, but it basically costs ESPN nothing to produce and there are no "home teams" playing, it's not too bad.

Macleans did a story last month saying that 1 in 10 Americans claim to follow the CFL either "fairly closely" or "very closely": http://www.macleans.ca/society/two-p...rican-viewers/

I'm always surprised by how many Americans I've talked to while travelling who bring up the CFL when they find out I'm Canadian.

They literally just play the TSN feed, then cut out for American commercials. Zero effort on their part, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they may have their own guy doing post-game analysis, but they usually let the TSN heads talk for 5 minutes instead.

I think the CFL can capitalize on some American interest if they play their cards right. The league is chalk full of ex-US college players who usually had a lot of fans while they were in college. Many of those players were stars in college. Folks are interested where their pro career leads. The fact that the NFL and CFL seasons don't lineup exactly also gives the CFL a fighting chance at gaining some viewership (also known as dollars).
Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #185
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think the CFL can capitalize on some American interest if they play their cards right. The league is chalk full of ex-US college players who usually had a lot of fans while they were in college. Many of those players were stars in college. Folks are interested where their pro career leads. The fact that the NFL and CFL seasons don't lineup exactly also gives the CFL a fighting chance at gaining some viewership (also known as dollars).
I agree but TSN would have to fundamentally improve their broadcasting. Americans watching the NFL are used to way better, more professional, flashy, higher-budget broadcasting. The CFL on TSN, on the other hand, hasn't really had a makeover in years. It's the same old production and people year after year.

And they do really annoying things like go on and on with anecdotes that sometimes have little/no relevance to what's going on on the field, let homers like Suitor call games for his former team, miss showing replays or actual live plays because of commercials, etc. I'm sure the average NFL fan finds TSN to be underwhelming to say the least.

The CFL could expand into the American viewing market (and the Canadian one for that matter) but I don't think it will go anywhere without some changes at TSN.

And yes, Saskatchewan is no good.

Last edited by Armchair Quarterback; 08-04-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot to say Saskatchewan is no good.
Armchair Quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Armchair Quarterback For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #186
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Quarterback View Post
If Saskatchewan's bad luck continues it will be very interesting to see what happens with their fan base. A lot of people here in Saskatoon say that they've already tuned out and stopped watching this season.

CFL's best fans, eh?
Came to check up on this thread, expected this

The amount of unwarranted Rider Pride shoved down my throat by the general public in 2015 has decreased exponentially in comparison to years previous. It's almost like they don't exist!

What a time to be alive!
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #187
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames69 View Post
The amount of unwarranted Rider Pride shoved down my throat by the general public in 2015 has decreased exponentially in comparison to years previous. It's almost like they don't exist!

What a time to be alive!
We can only hope that Toronto takes them to 0-7...

For sure, general "Rider Pride" has taken a serious tumble here in Saskatoon. But who knows how long that will last -- even in 2014 when their team was on the decline people here were saying they would win the Grey Cup. I honestly think Rider fans are convinced they will win it every single year.

If the Stamps repeat this year while Sask goes 0 and whatever, I will bathe in the tears of Rider Nation. And it will be glorious.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #188
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We can only hope that Toronto takes them to 0-7...

For sure, general "Rider Pride" has taken a serious tumble here in Saskatoon. But who knows how long that will last -- even in 2014 when their team was on the decline people here were saying they would win the Grey Cup. I honestly think Rider fans are convinced they will win it every single year.

If the Stamps repeat this year while Sask goes 0 and whatever, I will bathe in the tears of Rider Nation. And it will be glorious.
They are delusional in that regard. Some of them are downright stupid.

I was talking to this guy in one of my classes back around February. We were working on a case study and the topic switched to football. He still genuinely thought the Riders were the defending Grey Cup champions. I told him Calgary won it last year. He asked me if I even watched football. I said "you must be a Seahawks fan, eh" and he said, "no, I like the Riders"

Point is, Rider Pride is stupid and should be burned in a dumpster behind some traphouse in north Regina.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #189
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, since the mid 2000s the Riders have been boom or bust. Make it to the Grey Cup, or have a horrendous season. Very little in between. Us fans should be used to it by now. In some ways it seems like the way Taman runs things (I know he hasn't been there the whole time I'm talking about). Taman seems to gear up (very well mind you) for a year or two run at the Grey Cup, but then spends the next few seasons trying to recover and rebuild. That said, how we haven't been able to find a MLB in 3 years is mind boggling.

I do wish the Riders followed more of the conventional (Stampeders, Alouettes, Ticats) way to build a football team. I doubt that changes as long as Taman is in place, so enjoy the good moments when you can and don't get too down on the bad ones. Most of the Rider fans in my circles get this and support the team no matter the year. Who cares about the rest. I still wear my Riders gear around town and will until November, it's football season.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #190
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Meh, since the mid 2000s the Riders have been boom or bust. Make it to the Grey Cup, or have a horrendous season. Very little in between. Us fans should be used to it by now. In some ways it seems like the way Taman runs things (I know he hasn't been there the whole time I'm talking about). Taman seems to gear up (very well mind you) for a year or two run at the Grey Cup, but then spends the next few seasons trying to recover and rebuild. That said, how we haven't been able to find a MLB in 3 years is mind boggling.

I do wish the Riders followed more of the conventional (Stampeders, Alouettes, Ticats) way to build a football team. I doubt that changes as long as Taman is in place, so enjoy the good moments when you can and don't get too down on the bad ones. Most of the Rider fans in my circles get this and support the team no matter the year. Who cares about the rest. I still wear my Riders gear around town and will until November, it's football season.
Oh you're a Riders fans, haha. I didn't understand your objection to my claim that the Stamps injuries have been very significant this season and that the gap between Calgary and the other teams hasn't shrunk considerably like you said, in the other thread.

I was like "Why is this Stamps fan so unfairly and overly critical of the Stamps?". Now I get it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #191
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Oh you're a Riders fans, haha. I didn't understand your objection to my claim that the Stamps injuries have been very significant this season and that the gap between Calgary and the other teams hasn't shrunk considerably like you said, in the other thread.

I was like "Why is this Stamps fan so unfairly and overly critical of the Stamps?". Now I get it.
Heh, that's kinda funny. Yup big Rider fan here. Thought everyone knew that I do try not to be too biased when I talk football, but that bias will of course present different perspectives on some things. Unlike some, I don't irrationally hate the Stamps. I have Stampeders season tickets. I actually volunteer with a few of them (Keon Raymond is probably the nicest, kindest guy on the planet). When I go to McMahon I don't wear any green unless the Riders are playing, I've got some CFL league stuff I wear (most of my Calgarian Rider fan friends are Stamps season ticket holders too and they have the same rules about green as I do). I just want to watch as much CFL football as I can. It is the most Canadian thing in Canada and my favourite sport league by far.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #192
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Heh, that's kinda funny. Yup big Rider fan here. Thought everyone knew that I do try not to be too biased when I talk football, but that bias will of course present different perspectives on some things. Unlike some, I don't irrationally hate the Stamps. I have Stampeders season tickets. I actually volunteer with a few of them (Keon Raymond is probably the nicest, kindest guy on the planet). When I go to McMahon I don't wear any green unless the Riders are playing, I've got some CFL league stuff I wear (most of my Calgarian Rider fan friends are Stamps season ticket holders too and they have the same rules about green as I do). I just want to watch as much CFL football as I can. It is the most Canadian thing in Canada and my favourite sport league by far.

Well you do a pretty decent job because I never really knew until now, haha. If anything it was the fact that you were challenging my own biases that made me take notice.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #193
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree but TSN would have to fundamentally improve their broadcasting. Americans watching the NFL are used to way better, more professional, flashy, higher-budget broadcasting. The CFL on TSN, on the other hand, hasn't really had a makeover in years. It's the same old production and people year after year.

And they do really annoying things like go on and on with anecdotes that sometimes have little/no relevance to what's going on on the field, let homers like Suitor call games for his former team, miss showing replays or actual live plays because of commercials, etc. I'm sure the average NFL fan finds TSN to be underwhelming to say the least.

The CFL could expand into the American viewing market (and the Canadian one for that matter) but I don't think it will go anywhere without some changes at TSN.

And yes, Saskatchewan is no good.
The other day during a game (can't exactly remember who), ESPN had little segments between quarters explaining differences between CFL & NFL rules. It was pretty cool.

And they weren't like snarky ass comments you hear a lot of times from CFL haters, it was a top notch analysis. Almost praising the CFL for only have 3 downs and making it harder.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #194
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames69 View Post
They are delusional in that regard. Some of them are downright stupid.

I was talking to this guy in one of my classes back around February. We were working on a case study and the topic switched to football. He still genuinely thought the Riders were the defending Grey Cup champions. I told him Calgary won it last year. He asked me if I even watched football. I said "you must be a Seahawks fan, eh" and he said, "no, I like the Riders"

Point is, Rider Pride is stupid and should be burned in a dumpster behind some traphouse in north Regina.
I think every fan base has fans who say they are fans but have no clue.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #195
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First game I have watched the Riders play this season wow they are some kind of awful. 3rd and 41 currently lol.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #196
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you want a fun game, have a drink every time Sask get a penalty.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #197
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Riders shoot themselves in the foot again, amazing!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #198
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
If you want a fun game, have a drink every time Sask get a penalty.
Please don't, I don't want you to die
Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #199
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

24 points lost due to penalties. Ugly.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #200
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Argos' tackling is also no good tonight.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
go stamps go , green goofs , pilsner , rider fans suck , riders suck