Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick your top five selection list
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 44 8.21%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 118 22.01%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 56 10.45%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Bennett 4 0.75%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 21 3.92%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 10 1.87%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 22 4.10%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Reinhart 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 27 5.04%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 9 1.68%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 85 15.86%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 41 7.65%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl-Bennett 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Bennett-Draisaitl 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Ekblad-Bennett 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 19 3.54%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 8 1.49%
Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 9 1.68%
Bennett-Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 12 2.24%
Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 5 0.93%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 6 1.12%
Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 4 0.75%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Reinhart-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Reinhart 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle 3 0.56%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #5661
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've thought long and hard about this. It's only my opinion. My final updated list of preference at #4 OA before we hit the draft next weekend:

1.Draisaitl - The kid showed he can play with the big boys at the WC's this season. He's been ppg player at every WJC showing. Large, protects the puck, controls the play, and has amazing on ice vision, and is one of the best to dish the puck to it's intended target. 105 points last season, part of the reason he's earned the name 'The German Gretzky'. It's been no secret around here he's been my favorite in this draft. In fact I've had my eye on him since 2 WJC's ago.

2.Reinhart - I tried to find every reason possible not to have him at #2 on my list as his brother is already in the system. Sad excuse, I know, but I'm not a fan of teams collecting brothers for the sake of keeping family members close. However, Reinhart is just so damn smart, and is honestly one of the steadiest and consistent players in this draft. He elevates everyone's play around him. His PPG is off the charts. He's a strong candidate for 1st overall and there's no question he's Elite company.

3.Ekblad - the poster boy. Exceptional status and all that. Plain and simple, we need D. He's going to be a top 2 guy, no question. He may not be a black and blue player, but his cannon of a shot from the point is just what this team needs to QB the PP. That, and he's not all that bad defensively either... I jest. His defense is top notch.

4.Ritchie - Ritchie over Bennett you say? I don't usually play into Burke's rants over size and grit and blah blah blah, but in this case....he's bang on. Ritchie has more than just a big body in his arsenal. He's a tyrant on the ice. He can fight. 136 PIMs last season. He can score with the best of them and almost single handedly dragged the Petes along in the standings last season as far as goal totals. In fact he had 39 goals, whereas the next guy in line on the roster had 25. He also had 10 points in 11 post season games. He also plays RW, the shallowest depth positionally in the Flames' system. All of this wrapped up into a 6'3 236 lb power forward frame. He's 18...what's he going to look like when he's 24? Ritchie checks so many boxes in terms of needs, it's not even funny.

5.Dal Colle - The kid is very versatile, meaning he's played both wing and center. He's got one of the best snipe shots in the draft. His attitude is part of the overall package as he's had to mature faster than most kids his age given his family situation, a good thing in terms of life away from the rink. He comes with an already large 6'2 frame. Not afraid to dish the puck to a friendly if the shot isn't there. I have him above Bennett as I believe he'll compete for a roster spot sooner.

6.Bennett - Being 6th on my list isn't a slant towards him at all, in fact if he was picked 4th by the Flames on draft day, I would be front and center to welcome him with open arms. The kid plays a gritty game, an excellent 2-way game, and a very refined offensive game. My only issue with him is his frame. He's a rack. Does this mean he could never transition? Not a chance, he'll be an NHL'er for years to come. He couldn't do a pullup....so what. My issue is that he's 2-3 years away from cracking the lineup, and looking at the list of guys above him, I believe he'll be the one that takes the longest out of all of them.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #5662
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My list...

1. Sam Bennett
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Sam Reinhart
4. Leon Draisaitl
5. Michael Dal Colle

To my eye, the difference between Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl and Ritchie is immense. If the Flames take Ritchie over one of those guys, I guess the scouts see something I don't (that's what they're paid for).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon
6.Bennett - Being 6th on my list isn't a slant towards him at all, in fact if he was picked 4th by the Flames on draft day, I would be front and center to welcome him with open arms. The kid plays a gritty game, an excellent 2-way game, and a very refined offensive game. My only issue with him is his frame. He's a rack. Does this mean he could never transition? Not a chance, he'll be an NHL'er for years to come. He couldn't do a pullup....so what. My issue is that he's 2-3 years away from cracking the lineup, and looking at the list of guys above him, I believe he'll be the one that takes the longest out of all of them.
I don't see why that matters. The Flames probably won't be cup contenders before then.

Last edited by Day Tripper; 06-21-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Day Tripper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #5663
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My list
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Sam Bennett
4. Leon Draisaitl
5. Michael Dal Colle

Still think Sam Reinhart is the best player in the draft. His potential is limitless due to his very very high hockey IQ and thinks the game like no one else in this draft. I easily see him as a #1 franchise centre on a rebuilding team like Buffalo, Calgary and even Edmonton (ahead of RNH). I put hockey IQ the #1 priority when drafting prospects.

Ekblad is #2 because I see him more as a #2 or #3 defenceman. He's smart and has a rocket of a shot, overall a great skater and well rounded player. However, I don't think he'll be a #1 due to the fact he doesn't have that "pop" to his game. If he were to be more physical and use his size for intimidation, then maybe he would be close to compete for #1 on my list with Reinhart. Overall, he's still a great defenceman but I just think Reinhart will make a more significant impact on a team than Ekblad.

Bennett is ahead of Draisaitl because I just love his competitiveness and nastiness, and "do everything to win" mentality, combine that with his skating and skill... what isn't there to love about him?

Draisaitl's biggest asset is his ability to protect the puck, set up plays and make room for other players around him. His size is so attractive especially because he is a natural centreman. He gets a false impression of being lazy and liability in his own zone, but all have been debunked from all the scouting reports I have listened/read about him. When watching him play, he reminds me so much of Kopitar in a creepy kind of way. I can easily see him racking up more points than Monahan in his rookie year.

Michael Dal Colle is better than Ritchie at everything except size and physicality. Dal Colle's shot release is the best in this draft and can see him being a Jeff Carter/Eric Staal type of player. Only knock on him is he needs to bunk up, but he has the perfect frame to add mass.

Last edited by SHOGUN; 06-21-2014 at 07:16 AM.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #5664
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Are you guys crazy or just drinking at 10:49am?

We are not talking about Eric Lindros or Sydney Crosby.
You won't get a top 5 overall pick for spare parts.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #5665
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

For alternative perspective of the rankings:

Chris's List - Top 210 Final Rankings - The Next Ones @ THW

Excerpt from Intro:

Quote:
"Hockey Bloodlines in the “City of Brotherly Love” Draft

The City of Brotherly Love will soon be hosting the 2014 instalment of the NHL entry draft. This nickname of Philadelphia is fitting for this draft as this class presents perhaps more hockey bloodlines than we have ever seen in a draft. Reinhart, Nylander, Ritchie, Kapanen, Lemieux (Claude not Mario) and MacInnis are some of the familiar and obvious surnames. Others are more obscure. How many can you pick out as you scroll throughout the Top 210? Eiserman doesn’t count."
The Top 210 Final Rankings - The Next Ones (THW)
Link - click here
Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #5666
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me at this point if Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are gone I'm picking Ritchie.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #5667
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
For me at this point if Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are gone I'm picking Ritchie.
I agree. I worry about Draisaitl's skating.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #5668
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. At least, I want nothing to do with Draisaitl
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #5669
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Draisaitl is gonna be a great player for whoever picks him.

Guys who have that size, ability to protect the puck, combined with playmaking vision and accurate passing- they are rare breed.

You need big guys to win in this league. His skating can get better. The other stuff can't be taught.

A goal scoring power forward is a pretty nice asset to have too. Also rare. I prefer Draisaitl personally. I doubt he's still there at four anyway.

Last edited by icecube; 06-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #5670
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO I have The German Gretzky way ahead of Nick "don't call me Byron Ritchie"

If we pick Ritchie, I'd want to trade down to pick him.

Maybe do #4 to Ducks for #10 and #25

If Ritchie isn't available at 10, then take Fleury or Virtanen.
Who knows, maybe Nylander or Ehlers drop to #10 too.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #5671
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
IMO I have The German Gretzky way ahead of Nick "don't call me Byron Ritchie"

If we pick Ritchie, I'd want to trade down to pick him.

Maybe do #4 to Ducks for #10 and #25

If Ritchie isn't available at 10, then take Fleury or Virtanen.
Who knows, maybe Nylander or Ehlers drop to #10 too.
For me #10 and #25 aren't enough to give up the 4th pick. I'd be disappointed with this return. #10 and one of their better prospects might get me interested.

That said, I agree that I don't want Ritchie at 4. Maybe get a 2nd from Van and pick whomever is left between Ritchie and MDC.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #5672
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Draisaitl already has the Oiler stank on him. Avoid at all costs.

Part of me wants to see Ekblad taken early to ensure the Oilers take the ######land Dangler. My fear is that if Ekblad drops to #3 then the Oilers will snap him up ahead of Dr Drai, thus leaving the German Gretz to us.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #5673
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, that's my view as well.

Better yet, I'd lose my mind if we picked Reinhart or Bennett at #4, then managed to trade up and snag Ritchie soon after as well.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #5674
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
I agree. I worry about Draisaitl's skating.
IMO Draisaitl's skating is less of a concern than Reinhart's. Draisaitl has a powerful stride which should make him faster as he gains leg strength.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #5675
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For me there's two tiers of guys I like at the top end. Tough to differentiate them

Tie
1a) Ekblad. We don't have anything close to him in the system. Big, strong, mobile, skilled, character guy who is a right shooter. Should be a top pairing d-man. Only knock is that you'd like him to be meaner, more physical
1b) Bennett. The total package. Breakaway speed, extremely skilled, very competitive, very gritty. Only knock on him is average siize but that shouldn't hold him back.
Tie
3a) Reinhart. Amazing hockey sense and shot. Biggest concern is very mediocre skating and only has average size. Some believe he could make a better RW. I like him but Bennett's speed, competitiveness and grit has him ahead.
3b) Draisaitl. Fantastic passer and puck protector. Needs a bit of leg strength but I feel his skating is reasonable. No issues if we take this guy, he's a little bulkier than Reinhart/Bennett.
3c) Ritchie. Beast on skates with high level of skill. Prototypical powerforward. Our system is almost completely lacking in this type of player. He has the size, strength, meanness and physicality that we need on our top two lines. I think a lot of fans underrate the importance of powerforwards.
6) Dal Colle. Great puck protection, shot, hockey sense. Lacks the physicality of Ritchie. Sounds like he might not be in consideration for our pick.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #5676
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be a treat to watch Poirier and Richie down the right side for years. With, say, Gaudreau on the left. Granlund and Monahan in the middle.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #5677
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ritchie is a LWer so I don't know why people are assuming he'd successfully transition to the right.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #5678
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I the only one that isn't high on Reinhart? The kid is super smart on the ice. No question. But he doesn't have an elite skill set. Skating is a concern. He is also ultra non-physical. The guy had 11 PIMS last season. Consider that we already have Monahan (8 PIMS last season) and Backlund (not a physical player). That is a very gentle C ice.

I like the kid. But Bennett, Ritchie, Ekblad, and even Draisiatl fill much more of a need than Reinhart does IMO.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #5679
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please pick the player that is left from the top four, any of them are going to be awesome. Don't over think this for the love of god.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #5680
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Am I the only one that isn't high on Reinhart? The kid is super smart on the ice. No question. But he doesn't have an elite skill set. Skating is a concern. He is also ultra non-physical. The guy had 11 PIMS last season. Consider that we already have Monahan (8 PIMS last season) and Backlund (not a physical player). That is a very gentle C ice.

I like the kid. But Bennett, Ritchie, Ekblad, and even Draisiatl fill much more of a need than Reinhart does IMO.
With the exception tat Reinhart can transition over to RW with the only RH shot out of the top three to five or six forwards. Something the Flames really do need. Can you imagine him feeding the likes of Monahan or Granlund along with Gaudreau for the next five years? Would be pretty sweet.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: