Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #161
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusebox View Post
I love when people who only follow a big club get upset when you dare to compare one of their team's players to a good player on a smaller team.
and I love it when people assume that fans of "big clubs" will know absolutely nothing about the others. Seriously, what the hell?

I don't really have to justify myself, but who cares: yes, I know who Wanyama is. I actually really like Southampton and the football they play, especially guys like Luke Shaw, Morgan Schneiderlin and Adam Lallana. James Ward-Prowse looks like a good talent. We'll see how well Wanyama adapts to the PL, he had no competition with Celtic at all last season, so it could take some time. He was good against Barcelona though ... but "best midfielder this season" will be a huge, huge stretch, I'm sure of that.

Last edited by devo22; 08-27-2013 at 01:50 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #162
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While we're on the subject of mediocre players from big clubs living off their reputation, how about Rio Ferdinand? He's nothing but a big bully and is a terrible distributor of the ball. He's very lucky to be playing alongside the best centre half in the league, Vidic. In the match yesterday against Chelsea, there were at least three instances when under no pressure at all, he bombed a long ball down the wings that went straight to a Chelsea full back or over the goal line. He's a terrible player for a club with aspirations of winning the league and going far in the CL.

Now, watch everyone get upset and tell me how great of a player he is, despite the fact that to even a neutral observer of the game, he's become a very limited player in his advanced years and will likely be replaced by this time next year. A player like Ashley Williams is far superior in all facets of the game, but because Rio Ferdinand plays for Manchester United, people think he's great.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #163
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

whatever man. You rave about the "English Player of the Year 2011", but at the same time call a member of the "PL Team of the Year 2012-13" a "terrible player". Do you honestly believe the stuff you write?

Williams had a weird start to the season. He and Chico weren't really good against United and Williams nearly scored the own goal of the season vs Tottenham. I liked him last season, but you very well know as much as I do that he isn't far superior to Ferdinand.

sigh, why do I still reply to this?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #164
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuse box

You don't have a semblance of an idea what you're talking about. You're not deserving of a thought out reply, when you come trolling in here not referencing a history of debate about this exact topic.

I'll leave you with this. Carrick was the best box to box, holding midfielder in the premiership last season. He is the brains of the team. The ginger ninja, had an awful season.

Like has been said before, you didn't watch any portion of Uniteds season.

Lay off google and watch a match. You've started off on a poor foot.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #165
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Fuse box

You don't have a semblance of an idea what you're talking about. You're not deserving of a thought out reply, when you come trolling in here not referencing a history of debate about this exact topic.

I'll leave you with this. Carrick was the best box to box, holding midfielder in the premiership last season. He is the brains of the team. The ginger ninja, had an awful season.

Like has been said before, you didn't watch any portion of Uniteds season.

Lay off google and watch a match. You've started off on a poor foot.
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. I don't miss many matches, and from what I have seen over the last fifteen years that I've been watching Michael Carrick play, he's no world beater. You're entitled to your opinion, but telling me that I'm ######ed because I don't think a player with such a poor work rate who was badly exposed at being out of creative, forward thinking ideas just yesterday is hardly a fair point.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #166
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Badly exposed?
Poor work ethic?

Hahahaha.

oh man.

Almost every point you make is so far out to lunch, that's it's almost profound someone could be so wrong so often. You're a statistical anomaly for intellectual competence.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #167
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. I don't miss many matches, and from what I have seen over the last fifteen years that I've been watching Michael Carrick play, he's no world beater. You're entitled to your opinion, but telling me that I'm ######ed because I don't think a player with such a poor work rate who was badly exposed at being out of creative, forward thinking ideas just yesterday is hardly a fair point.
No, you're ######ed because it's obvious from your comments that you never watched Carrick last season at all. Your Scholes comment was wayyyyyyy out to lunch. You're ######ed if you feel that Mourinho got it right tactically last night when in fact all he did was hand a draw on a plate to Moyes. He had a prime opportunity last night with a three point cushion to pile the pressure on a new manager in one of the biggest jobs on the planet and what does he do? Absolutely bottles it and plays not to lose.

Go on then Mr self proclaimed expert. What was so enthralling, clever and fascinating about playing 10 men behind the ball, clogging the box and not even being a threat on a counter attack. If they had created chances on the break then maybe you could make an argument for clever tactics, or .... if they even had controlled possession but Mourinho handed Moyes a nice safe point on his home debut by offering no threat whatsoever.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is Moyes failure to stir things post game where he should have been talking about how confused he was at Mourinho's lack of confidence in his strikers and how he was surprised that Mata wasn't played. But that will come.

And Wanyama? I'm betting you maybe watched him once or twice in a CL game.

You're trying too hard, you're like NBC trying to put yourself on a pedestal as a holier than thou fan but you're failing miserably. You're coming across as desperate to be respected. Just saying .......

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #168
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As much as I am a Chelsea fan, and therefore alternate between grudging respect and hatred for United, I wouldn't even make these statements.

Carrick is a very capable midfielder, definitely a guy who would be an asset to any contending team, and the star of any team in the tier below.
You cannot compare him to Lampard as they are different players - Lampard makes his living attacking from deep and scoring out of midfield, Carrick is more of a traditional centre midfielder. He would actually fill a void on Chelsea, as a top notch box to box guy (Ramires is all hustle, no playmaking) is what that team is missing.

Ferdinand is not as good as he was a couple of seasons ago IMO, but he would walk on to almost every EPL team. He is still a top defender. Ashley Williams' career trajectory is on the way up, and you never know, he may make the next couple of steps to be on that level, but talking down a good player, just because he is on United...

It's OK to not like United - I don't like them, but the claims you make are ridiculous.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #169
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now, watch everyone get upset and tell me how great of a player he is, despite the fact that to even a neutral observer of the game, he's become a very limited player in his advanced years
No .... I'd just point you to the PFA team of the year for last season and ask you to explain why his peers voted him onto the team for his position. Oh and whilst you're glancing over the team maybe you could explain how Carrick made the team over Scholes.

Damn professional footballers, what do they know?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #170
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, this newb is profoundly misinformed.

Anyway, Ross Barkley called up today. I only saw a highlight of his winner against Norwich during hte opener, but his stock surely will increase. The lad cites Moyes as instrumental to his development. Does United poach another young Toffees starlet?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #171
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big fan of Carrick, but he had a great season last year (LOL at Scholes being better last season), their issue is someone to play beside him not a need to replace him

Would feel a lot better about their team (especially in Europe) if they had any of Arsenal, Spurs, City's (minus Barry) CMs beside Carrick
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #172
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
LOL, this newb is profoundly misinformed.

Anyway, Ross Barkley called up today. I only saw a highlight of his winner against Norwich during hte opener, but his stock surely will increase. The lad cites Moyes as instrumental to his development. Does United poach another young Toffees starlet?
He'll be back on the bench once Darron Gibson is fit. Barkley had one good game, the opener against Norwich, where he didn't score the winner. It was a two all draw. He had a poor game last weekend against West Brom. He's not a bad player but certainly not good enough to play for Manchester United - not yet, anyway.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #173
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Not a big fan of Carrick, but he had a great season last year (LOL at Scholes being better last season), their issue is someone to play beside him not a need to replace him

Would feel a lot better about their team (especially in Europe) if they had any of Arsenal, Spurs, City's (minus Barry) CMs beside Carrick
They certainly do need to bring in a proper central midfielder before the window closes, they just don't have enough. Anderson looks very fit these days but maybe Moyes doesn't rate him. Newcastle have been linked with a fifteen million pound bid for James McCarthy, maybe they could make a move for him?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #174
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone recommend any soccer apps with match great match coverage (commentary, lineups, and stats). I'm looking for an app to help me follow games when I'm not by a TV / computer.

Livescore is great for near real time scores, but doesn't have any match details.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #175
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
Can anyone recommend any soccer apps with match great match coverage (commentary, lineups, and stats). I'm looking for an app to help me follow games when I'm not by a TV / computer.

Livescore is great for near real time scores, but doesn't have any match details.
The Score is a great app for this. They have the EPL listed under "more leagues".

They don't have any commentary but the stats are updated in real time.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #176
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Really pissed off at TSN/Shaw. Got back from Radium on Sunday with the Newcastle game PVRd. Sat down to watch last night and it turned out to be the Sunderland game. Not sure if it was Shaw or TSNs mistake but hopefully that isn't an indication of things to come this season.
I think it might be Shaw and whoever they use to provide their STB programming guide. When I was checking the guide for the NLD last night it wasn't coming up but when I checked online, a footy site stated that it was on TSN. Back on the programming guide it had the same NASCAR race on both TSN and TSN2.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #177
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool drawn away at United in the next round of the league cup

bitey's first game back from suspension
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #178
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Liverpool drawn away at United in the next round of the league cup

bitey's first game back from suspension
Anyone here remember Cantona's first match back from suspension? Sky "requested" that the league push it back to a Sunday kickoff so he could play.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #179
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone here remember Cantona's first match back from suspension? Sky "requested" that the league push it back to a Sunday kickoff so he could play.
Once again .... absolute rubbish.

His suspension was up on a Saturday.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #180
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Once again .... absolute rubbish.

His suspension was up on a Saturday.
Wrong.

Last edited by Fusebox; 08-28-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Tags
diving , tears and writhing