Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #181
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
Theo also had another interview after his inital dissapointment (erased first statement) saying thank you to the Flames for a shot and he is at peace to retire now. The man is a competitor, I wouldn't expect any less of him to voice his dissapointment. And where has Theo outted the Flames at least a couple of times ? Over sensitive dudes on here, it's not Big Brother, it's real life and hockey - Don Cherry must make some of you turn in your sleep at night.
Fleury put down the Flames when they traded him too.

I have no issue with people speaking their mind, but I have a problem with ungrateful people that bite the hand that feeds them. If Cherry trashed CBC, then I would have a problem with that too.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #182
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post

I have no issue with people speaking their mind, but I have a problem with ungrateful people that bite the hand that feeds them. If Cherry trashed CBC, then I would have a problem with that too.
Well if you have no problem with people speaking their mind, then surely you shouldn't have no problem with Fleury speaking his mind when he was DISSAPOINTED from being traded from the team he lived and breathed and was the leader of. Nowadays, you got guys like Iggy making backdoor exit plans to get out of here cause the team isn't going the way he likes.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 AM   #183
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This is what I read at first:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292512

As for Mr.Cherry, are you kidding me ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9018047/

Last edited by cowtown75; 07-31-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #184
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what I read at first:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292512

As for Mr.Cherry, are you kidding me ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9018047/
what exactly does that Dowbiggin piece have to do with what I said? So Cherry spouts some things that are inaccurate, that has nothing to do with him biting the hand that feeds him.

And the quotes from Fleury have already been posted, they weren't made immediately upon his release, they were made months later, not in the heat of the moment. So him being "passionate" isn't even an excuse, it was just Theo being Theo.

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 07-31-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #185
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
what exactly does that Dowbiggin piece have to do with what I said? So Cherry spouts something things that are inaccurate, that has nothing to do with him biting the hand that feeds him.

And the quotes from Fleury have already been posted, they weren't made immediately upon his release, they were made months later, not in the heat of the moment. So him being "passionate" isn't even an excuse, it was just Theo being Theo.
Point is, Cherry is a freakin loudmouth that is always in some kinda drama on the network, his co-worker Ron can attest to that and Ron almost left because of it. So what if Fleury quotes were made months later ? it was months later after he was well out out of hockey- get real man. It's his freakin opinion and I agree with him and he was right on most accounts- especially his predictions. At least when he was released he went out in style at the time of. This crap about what he said afterwards months later is his personal opinion while he isn't even in hockey anymore. And you know what, many would agree with him.

And no, Cherry bringing down CBC's integrety again is not at all like biting the hand that feeds you (lol)... you think this is the first time ?

Last edited by cowtown75; 07-31-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #186
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Point is, Cherry is a freakin loudmouth that is always in some kinda drama on the network, his co-worker Ron can attest to that and Ron almost left because of it. So what if Fleury quotes were made months later ? it was months later after he was well out out of hockey- get real man. It's his freakin opinion and I agree with him and he was right on most accounts- especially his predictions. At least when he was released he went out in style at the time of. This crap about what he said afterwards months later is his personal opinion while he isn't even in hockey anymore. And you know what, many would agree with him.

And no, Cherry bringing down CBC's integrety again is not at all like biting the hand that feeds you (lol)... you think this is the first time ?
I am not sure if you are being intentionally obtuse just to argue or what but I think I need to simplify things for you as one last ditch effort to make you understand why I am against it.

Why would someone honour a person that insulted them?

That is my only issue with his number being retired. It is not about him being a jack ass in general, it is about him being a jack ass to the Flames in particular.

If you were a business owner and a former employee insulted your business, would you go out of your way to give them public exposure? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Hey if you want to retire his number still, good for you, I really don't give a crap. But we are simply explaining why his number is likely not retired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #187
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you were a business owner and a former employee insulted your business, would you go out of your way to give them public exposure?
If they made me millions of dollars, yes, I would.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #188
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
If they made me millions of dollars, yes, I would.
Snd did he make them millions? or did the pretty good team he was on make the owners millions? Chances are Fleury made more off ownership than vice versa.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #189
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
What an asinine post. You just called Theo a piece of ####? Care to explain why?
I have explained many times in this thread including that post but will again. His selfish play while here putting himself above the team, his comments after leaving the first time, his comments and actions during/after his comeback and his constant blaming of others for his failures.

Fleury has acted like an entitled dick his whole hockey career and after. He acts like the world and everyone in it owes him something and if things don't go right it is everyone's else's fault.

I don't hold drugs and alcohol against as mentioned enough times he went through hell as a teen and hard to blame him for turning to drugs to deal with it but the way he treats people ands acts is awful and I don't give him a pass on that.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #190
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Fleury has acted like an entitled dick his whole hockey career and after. He acts like the world and everyone in it owes him something and if things don't go right it is everyone's else's fault.
The guy has lived his entire life with a chip on his shoulder and if he had a different mentality chances are he would never have been as good a player as he turned out to be. I don't fault him for coming off as feeling disrespected because he fed off that his entire career. It's what made him tick. What made a small man play big.

Was he a nice guy? No he wasn't but I feel too many fans put weight into what a player was like off the ice when discussing their on ice accomplishments. The fact is that he is arguably the most talented player to ever wear the jersey and was the sole reason to watch the Calgary Flames for most of the 90's. I put him and Iginla as the top two players in the history of the franchise and not being a great guy or having substance abuse issues doesn't change my feelings about how good a player he was for this franchise.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #191
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we all know that Fleury is a "complicated" guy, and we all know the reasons for this. Abuse takes a huge toll on the mind and often manifests itself in the personality.

For all the "bad" things he said (some of which were true), he has also praised Calgary and the Flames. I'm all for giving him the honours befitting of one of the best players this team has ever had.

Also, I am probably in the minority, but I felt he played well enough in camp on his comeback attempt that he could have played at least a 4th line roll that season.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #192
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just read the whole thread and I don't think his number should be retired either. He had a tough life but lots of people do and aren't ignorant to people on a daily basis. Also reading comments like "he has done more for Calgary" and that his writing a book about his child abuse issues helped benefit others are a stretch. Did he donate his money from his book or the documentary on his life, don't think so. Did he ever make amends to the mother of his first kid, don't think so. Did he take in his 16 year old son, take him to bars and pick up women with him, I think so.

One other point, I believe he was traumatized by Graham James so why in hell did he, as part of the original Hitmen's ownership group, EVER approve the hiring of the man. Fleury has done some good things in his time, played good hockey but don't ever mistake what he has done as decent by him. If Theo doesn't make a buck out of it he doesn't do it.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #193
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
If Theo doesn't make a buck out of it he doesn't do it.
I have heard that Lanny McDonald is exctly as you described Fleury to be above. Shall we look at his career differently?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #194
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have heard that Lanny McDonald is exctly as you described Fleury to be above. Shall we look at his career differently?
Look at it any way you want. Compare their community involvement and public personna while you are at it. And this is what you took out of my comments?

Last edited by Beatle17; 07-31-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #195
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look at it any way you want. Compare their community involvement and public personna while you are at it. And this is what you took out of my comments?
Fleury does a ton in the community
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #196
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One other point, I believe he was traumatized by Graham James so why in hell did he, as part of the original Hitmen's ownership group, EVER approve the hiring of the man.
It was the other way around. James was the leader of the ownership group and he brought in Fleury and the others as investors.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #197
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It should be about on ice performance. I'm sure Fleury performed to the "forever a flame" standard, so just do it. The off ice stuff shouldn't factor in.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #198
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It was the other way around. James was the leader of the ownership group and he brought in Fleury and the others as investors.
Point taken, but the comment still stands about why he didn't say something at the time. I know he wasn't ready to come forward but a discussion with the cops as an anonymous tipster would have shut this down immediately. How many other teenagers were put into the same situation as him, with his knowledge.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #199
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate numbers retired unless: they won a championship or played a full and distinguished career as a Flame

Iggy no, Theo yes

As far as whether they are nice, who cares? They get paid to win hockey games.

But in his defense, I have met Theo three times on business trips. I thought he was pretty awesome. The only other nice NHLers I have met were Hunter, Stern, Williams and Macoun. I've met plenty who were dicks (after career, when they should know better).
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #200
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iggy did play a full and distinguished career as a Flame.

And it seems pretty silly to punish Iginla for playing on crap teams and doing everything he could to carry a team to game 7 of the SCF and reward Theo for being a rookie on a stacked team.

I hope the team takes a more intelligent approach than just rewarding/punishing guys for things out of their control.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote