Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would you like the city to do with the money?
1) Return it to the residential property taxpayer 34 17.35%
2) Return it specifically to non-residential property taxpayer 4 2.04%
3) Create a neighbourhood revitalization fund 38 19.39%
4) Create a dedicated Transit Capital Fund 120 61.22%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
SebC
tromboner

Exp:
Default Province gives Calgary money... council deciding what to do with it.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Un...410/story.html

Quote:
City council will debate Monday how to spend $50 million of tax revenue the province is leaving on the table.
I vote for two more Calavatra pedestrian bridges.

=========================

EDIT: Quoting Bunk below, he explained it much better than the Herald did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Keep in mind this money is $52.1 million annually. So, it's $1 billion over 20 years.

In the past, when the Province vacated "tax room" and the City has taken it and used if for capital projects. The first big tranche was a couple years ago - $42 million annually for the Community Investment Fund - which is funding the 4 new rec centres and a big chunk of the Central Library. Last year there was $10.2m in tax room that was dedicated to a bunch of little things like eliminating the resident portion of City-initiated sidewalk replacement, transit reliability measures, targeted traffic optimizations (lane reversals, signal syncs, additional turn lanes, etc) and so forth.

There are four proposals for this $52.1 million annually:

1. Return it to the residential property taxpayer so that your tax increase this year will be about 1.3% instead of 5.5%

2. Return it specifically to non-residential property taxpayer to reduce the differential between non-residential and residential property taxes. Non-res is said to pay a disproportionate share compared to residential (in comparison to other cities)

3. Create a neighbourhood revitalization fund - basically what Edmonton does - go neighbourhood by nieghbourhood and replace aging infrastructure (sidewalks, road surface, lights) and build other infrastructure to support redevelopment

4. Create a dedicated Transit Capital Fund. This would essentially allow the development of 5 or 6 dedicated transitways identified in the RouteAhead Plan - SWBRT, Centre Street Busway, 17th Ave SE Busway, SE Busway improvements (in advance of LRT development), West U of C campus mobility (possibly a gondola across the valley to connect to WLRT), 16th Avenue Crosstown BRT, etc. It would also fund all unfunded Light Rail Vehicle replacement and growth for the next ten years. The City must retire 82 of the original U2 LRT vehicles as well as grow the fleet to increase capacity (full 4 car LRT).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk
A 5th option was added at Council, which is debt reduction.
=======================

UPDATE: May 16th 2013

Here are the city's materials explaining the options. You can also read them or give feedback at calgary.ca/52million.

Spoiler!

Last edited by SebC; 05-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absorb the money and ... save it or pay down debt.

Oh wait, sorry I forgot who we are talking about.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Absorb the money and ... save it or pay down debt.

Oh wait, sorry I forgot who we are talking about.
Exactly. Why be fiscally responsible when we can cling stubbornly to our ideologies.

Infrastructure is so 2005.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NuclearPizzaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

MacLeod's argument makes a lot of sense to me.

The city is telling the province we need money for infrastructure. If they give us money and we don't use it for infrastructure, we're undermining ourselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money for a new flames arena, with a nice pedestrian bridge or two attached to it.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Monorail!
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Monorail!
ahhhh that's more of of an Edmontonville idea, Calgaryians wouldn't want to hear about that
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

How much is $50 million in infrastructure anyways? The really big head aches in this city are probably far in excess of that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't understand why the Province is continually collecting education tax that it 'doesn't need'. Aren't they running a rather large deficit this year?

Surely there should be a better way to provide the city with funding than leftover education taxes.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
I don't understand why the Province is continually collecting education tax that it 'doesn't need'. Aren't they running a rather large deficit this year?

Surely there should be a better way to provide the city with funding than leftover education taxes.
Indeed, if only someone was fighting for this on the city's behalf...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, they could give us a property tax rebate...

IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
How much is $50 million in infrastructure anyways? The really big head aches in this city are probably far in excess of that.
I think it's actually $50 million per year. Not enough for LRTs, but as I mentioned in the "name one good thing Allison Redford's done" thread, I've been told that it could build all the BRT right-of-ways from the RouteAhead plan over 10 years.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
Exactly. Why be fiscally responsible when we can cling stubbornly to our ideologies.

Infrastructure is so 2005.
What "needed" (I quote needed because not all is needed, some is wanted and there is a difference) infrastructure projects would 50M pay for that would be more fiscally prudent than saving it for something larger or paying down debt and reducing interest payments.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Save it and put it in an interest-generating account, which works towards eventually building an LRT connection to the airport / the SE LRT line.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so the city has some "extra" money, my mule also has a spinning wheel.

i vote that the concillors should give themselves a raise.

Any left over money could then be used to have a bear patrol over the city and beautify New Brighton and McKenzie Towne
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
What "needed" (I quote needed because not all is needed, some is wanted and there is a difference) infrastructure projects would 50M pay for that would be more fiscally prudent than saving it for something larger or paying down debt and reducing interest payments.
BRT is long-term investment... it's a something identified as a long-term need, and it doesn't fully displace larger investments either as something like SE busway could be upgraded to LRT later.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind this money is $52.1 million annually. So, it's $1 billion over 20 years.

In the past, when the Province vacated "tax room" and the City has taken it and used if for capital projects. The first big tranche was a couple years ago - $42 million annually for the Community Investment Fund - which is funding the 4 new rec centres and a big chunk of the Central Library. Last year there was $10.2m in tax room that was dedicated to a bunch of little things like eliminating the resident portion of City-initiated sidewalk replacement, transit reliability measures, targeted traffic optimizations (lane reversals, signal syncs, additional turn lanes, etc) and so forth.

There are four proposals for this $52.1 million annually:

1. Return it to the residential property taxpayer so that your tax increase this year will be about 1.3% instead of 5.5%

2. Return it specifically to non-residential property taxpayer to reduce the differential between non-residential and residential property taxes. Non-res is said to pay a disproportionate share compared to residential (in comparison to other cities)

3. Create a neighbourhood revitalization fund - basically what Edmonton does - go neighbourhood by nieghbourhood and replace aging infrastructure (sidewalks, road surface, lights) and build other infrastructure to support redevelopment

4. Create a dedicated Transit Capital Fund. This would essentially allow the development of 5 or 6 dedicated transitways identified in the RouteAhead Plan - SWBRT, Centre Street Busway, 17th Ave SE Busway, SE Busway improvements (in advance of LRT development), West U of C campus mobility (possibly a gondola across the valley to connect to WLRT), 16th Avenue Crosstown BRT, etc. It would also fund all unfunded Light Rail Vehicle replacement and growth for the next ten years. The City must retire 82 of the original U2 LRT vehicles as well as grow the fleet to increase capacity (full 4 car LRT).
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I think it's actually $50 million per year. Not enough for LRTs, but as I mentioned in the "name one good thing Allison Redford's done" thread, I've been told that it could build all the BRT right-of-ways from the RouteAhead plan over 10 years.

And I would be fine with stock piling those funds as long as its transparent and we decide what to do with it.

I'm wondering where the discussion is on the deerfoot handover, you seem to be in the know for Municipal stuff, whereas I rarely follow it anymore.

I know though that eventually the Deer foot will come under city control at some point from provincial and that's a whole other budgeting issue.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm wondering where the discussion is on the deerfoot handover, you seem to be in the know for Municipal stuff, whereas I rarely follow it anymore.
No idea, sorry.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would vote for a neighbourhood revitilisation fund, something like what Edmonton does here. 50 year old neighbourhoods look brand new. It really is an awesome program.
V is offline   Reply With Quote