Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #221
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
I don't think a well known good GM would come here because of the Ownership meddling issues, if KK moves on like I've heard on this forum (onto overseeing a bunch of other Calgary businesses?) then I could see Burke, or a new guy come in here.
But yes, it's been known for years around here.
It has been speculated for years around here.

There have been a few instances where KK has come out and said that he and the owners do not meddle and have not stopped Darryl or Jay Feaster from doing anything, or have encouraged them to do something else.

Feaster has come out and said the same thing - that thus far, he has been free to do what he sees fit.

I really don't know if there is meddling or not. I think part of this is some speculation that has turned into a rumor, and has a life of its' own. Maybe there is meddling.. maybe here isn't. I don't think there is definitive proof either way.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #222
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

There have been a few instances where KK has come out and said that he and the owners do not meddle and have not stopped Darryl or Jay Feaster from doing anything, or have encouraged them to do something else.

Feaster has come out and said the same thing - that thus far, he has been free to do what he sees fit.

I really don't know if there is meddling or not. I think part of this is some speculation that has turned into a rumor, and has a life of its' own. Maybe there is meddling.. maybe here isn't. I don't think there is definitive proof either way.
For Feaster's sake I hope there is meddling, as if not he is a moron of epic measure.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #223
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No, of course there will never be any definite proof of meddling because no one will come out and say it, but when there's smoke, there's usually fire. I've even heard Bob MacKenzie and crew mention it before so there must be some truth to it.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #224
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
For Feaster's sake I hope there is meddling, as if not he is a moron of epic measure.
This would make an excellent signature.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #225
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
This would make an excellent signature.
Yours for the taking
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #226
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

would you trade our next two first rounders for Kessel? Burke would
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #227
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yours for the taking
Done.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #228
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Burke did, which doesn't say he would do it again. At least he got a good player back, with Feaster he almost gave away our first and third for nothing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #229
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the fact that the day after your franchise player gets traded, it's your President, as opposed to your GM, doing the media circuit is proof that there's more influence going on from up top in this organization than one would hope for. I mean, can anyone here name the President of the Detroit Red Wings of the top of their heads? Yeah, didn't think so. I certainly haven't heard him on a national talk show.

The best run organizations in the league have a solid executive structure, and stick to it. Our structure seems to be constantly negotiable. This organization is dying for a leader to come in, and kick some asses into place....and keep them there.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #230
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just love how people in here always speculate that the owners are the ones making hockey personnel but noone ever show any proof. IMHO, i don't think that Edwards or Ken King are telling management what to do.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #231
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I just love how people in here always speculate that the owners are the ones making hockey personnel but noone ever show any proof. IMHO, i don't think that Edwards or Ken King are telling management what to do.
If you're right then by god we're in deeper **** than I thought!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #232
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ROR is a minus 3 and 26 points averaged out over the shortened season, thats just second line territory at best.
Kessel was a #### up no doubt, but at least it was a #### up for a league top ten player

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 04-05-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #233
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're right then by god we're in deeper **** than I thought!!
Looking at Jay Feasters body of work in Tampa it would surprise me if he was the guy making all these decisions

I think Edwards/King influence is massively over-blown. I am a strong supporter of the ownership group dumping King and Feaster this summer for Burke.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #234
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And? No GM will have a perfect track record, but the good outweigh the bad with Burke.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to $ven27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #235
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally think the calgary GM job would be very desirable for any candidates right now. This is an organization that has hit the reset button and has a fan base that is ready to rebuild.

A new GM would inherit a team that needs to be built from the ground up. Not only that the new GM will start with 3 1st round picks and one is likely in position to draft a future franchise player. The cupboards are not loaded but not empty either. Sven will likely be an impact youngster next season.

On top of that you have a passionate ownership who isn't afraid to open their wallets and wants nothing more than to win.

I think this is exactly the type of situation Burke would want to be a part of if you ask me. He and Edwards share the same impatience and if he gets the Presidents and GM position I think it is a great fit all around
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #236
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I personally think the calgary GM job would be very desirable for any candidates right now. This is an organization that has hit the reset button and has a fan base that is ready to rebuild.

A new GM would inherit a team that needs to be built from the ground up. Not only that the new GM will start with 3 1st round picks and one is likely in position to draft a future franchise player. The cupboards are not loaded but not empty either. Sven will likely be an impact youngster next season.

On top of that you have a passionate ownership who isn't afraid to open their wallets and wants nothing more than to win.

I think this is exactly the type of situation Burke would want to be a part of if you ask me. He and Edwards share the same impatience and if he gets the Presidents and GM position I think it is a great fit all around
A GM who walks into a rebuild usually gets more slack than a GM in a win now situation
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #237
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
A GM who walks into a rebuild usually gets more slack than a GM in a win now situation
I would tend to agree, especially when said gm has "sold" his win now plan to upper management. Feaster said to find someone else if we rebuild because he obviously felt he could make our roster competitive. In my eyes I see jay as a failure because nothing he planned has come to fruition. He set goals for himself when he came aboard and fell short. I see no reason for this to be acceptable for a gm or any other profession, I think he should be done.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #238
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
And? No GM will have a perfect track record, but the good outweigh the bad with Burke.
one of the worst trades in years...not a Burke fan, if you are looking for a new GM there are better options
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #239
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ROR is a minus 3 and 26 points averaged out over the shortened season, thats just second line territory at best.
Kessel was a #### up no doubt, but at least it was a #### up for a league top ten player
Kessel is a top 10 player...mmmkay
Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #240
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think the fact that the day after your franchise player gets traded, it's your President, as opposed to your GM, doing the media circuit is proof that there's more influence going on from up top in this organization than one would hope for. I mean, can anyone here name the President of the Detroit Red Wings of the top of their heads? Yeah, didn't think so. I certainly haven't heard him on a national talk show.

The best run organizations in the league have a solid executive structure, and stick to it. Our structure seems to be constantly negotiable. This organization is dying for a leader to come in, and kick some asses into place....and keep them there.
That is still speculation, however. I could easily counter with: "The reason it was Ken King and not Feaster was because Feaster was still busy in the 'war room' trying to make some trades and set the direction for this franchise moving forward. Ken King, who is not meddling, then has more free time to spend with the media."

Which story is more accurate? Hard to say.

As for McKenzie passing on these rumors.. well, we have all seen how analysts (even as respected as Bob is) just pass on info they heard from a source, without getting confirmation. Yes, it would be very difficult to get confirmation, but that doesn't mean it is true either.

I am one to just think if upper management comes out and says "no meddling" and the GM comes out and says: "no meddling", then there is no meddling. I would just expect Feaster to stay quiet about it, or just provide a long unrelated story without really answering the question. He was asked, and he directly responded with: "I have been able to make all the moves I want to make." or something like that.

There very well COULD be meddling.. but people are throwing it out as fact, when the facts show nothing really substantial to prove it either way.

Sutter was very quiet about his time as GM. At some point, every GM wears out his welcome in an organization (with extremely few exceptions) and when Feaster gets axed, I would imagine he would be more honest (if he isn't already) when asked that question. Only time the people outside the org will actually know, I would say.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote