Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you support Iginla if he gets traded?
Yes 322 92.80%
No 25 7.20%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I would glady buy either of these in the next few weeks:

Not gonna lie. That Iginla Bruins jersey looks awesome. I think that he would be a fit for both of these teams and I think would become a fan favourite in quick fashion.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #142
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will always cheer for Iginla regardless of where he winds up. Just an outstanding individual. Class with a capital C.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #143
Ezio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What if said team gives a 2013 First Round Pick, would you guys still cheer for them?

When Smyth and Penner were traded for 1sts at the deadline, I was heavily cheering against both teams for the sake of a better pick for the Oilers. Just bringing some perspective.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #144
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
What if said team gives a 2013 First Round Pick, would you guys still cheer for them?

When Smyth and Penner were traded for 1sts at the deadline, I was heavily cheering against both teams for the sake of a better pick for the Oilers. Just bringing some perspective.
Yeah I'm actually hoping he gets traded to Philly and they end up continuing to suck. That way we get a decent player with the 1st round pick they give us.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #145
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Especially when he re-signs in the off season.

Now if he pulls a Sundin on the other hand...
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #146
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

That is why I like the Bruins more as a trade partner. If you get that 2013 First rounder and they win the cup then you get the worst possible first round pick. However, if you get a good prospect or two such as Spooner (their top center prospect) and then a RW like Caron or Knight then the trade isn't about the draft.

The Pens top prospects are all D-men and I really would be disappointed if we didn't get some serious potential forwards (especially centers) in any possible blockbuster trade.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #147
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
The only arrogance is people like you who think they can tell someone who to cheer for.

I am a Flames fan and a hockey fan. I have teams I like and teams I hate. Deal with it.
Huh.

Other than Vancouver and Edmonton, and maybe Pittsburgh (as you are a Flyers fan), I don't know why you would think, one of the classiest hockey players of all time, the best Flame of all time, should rot in hell because he ends up on a team such as Detroit, Chicago or Dallas
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #148
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Huh.

Other than Vancouver and Edmonton, and maybe Pittsburgh (as you are a Flyers fan), I don't know why you would think, one of the classiest hockey players of all time, the best Flame of all time, should rot in hell because he ends up on a team such as Detroit, Chicago or Dallas
Why does it matter why I hate certain teams? I will never support a player wearing those jerseys, I don't care if it's Iginla, the pope or Jesus Christ himself. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

But since apparently it's difficult to grasp, so let me simplify.

I will cheer for him if he goes to a team I like.
I will not cheer for him if he goes to a team I do not like.

Or........ I cheer for a the jersey, not the player.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #149
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who the #### votes "no" on a poll like this?
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #150
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
What loyalty do we honestly have to Iggy? I'm serious. I admire him and I think he was great to watch but did you guys get paid or something? Is Iggy sending out cheques to some fans?

I do like him as a player and I know he's a great person and all but other than the money he's been paid (essentially from the fans for the money we spend on the team) I don't know if we "owe" him anything.
We don't "owe" Jarome Iginla ####e, but we're emotionally invested in him. Having Iginla move on and having success validates our last 15 years in purgatory. He's a generational talent, and he deserves to have success, and that's clearly not going to happen while he's on the Calgary Flames' roster.

Anyone who says they "cheer for the name on the front, not the name on the back" is also full of ####e, or going about being a fan in the entirely wrong way. Of course your Flames come before anything else, but to suggest you don't become emotionally attached to guys that play for your team is ridiculous. I know I was ecstatic when Martin "The Eliminator" Gelinas came on as an assistant coach. Why? Because he was an important part in our team's history. You think any other teams' fans refer to him as the "Eliminator"?

I guess what it comes down to for me is I will cheer for Iggy no matter what. I guess I'm a sucker in that I get attached to the guys that play their asses off for my team, no matter how little the stakes are, and I do feel that Calgary "owes" Iginla the chance to add a Stanley cup to his HOF resume, and if it takes him a few years to get one I'm ok with that too. Do what's best for you Iggy, and I got your back wherever you go.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #151
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
The only arrogance is people like you who think they can tell someone who to cheer for.

I am a Flames fan and a hockey fan. I have teams I like and teams I hate. Deal with it.
Right. And it's not arrogant to tell someone to rot in hell for making what is probably the most important choice he will make for his entire career, a choice that will not only effect one of the biggest fanbases in the NHL, but his friends, family, and himself?

There's a difference between saying, I'd rather Iginla play for team A, but if he chooses to play for team B, I won't really like it, but I guess I'll have to deal with it, and, team B can go #### itself and if Iggy chooses to play for that team, I hate him and he can go #### himself too.

Seriously, man, you can't argue that you're right, because you just make yourself sound more and more rude every time.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #152
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Right. And it's not arrogant to tell someone to rot in hell for making what is probably the most important choice he will make for his entire career, a choice that will not only effect one of the biggest fanbases in the NHL, but his friends, family, and himself?

There's a difference between saying, I'd rather Iginla play for team A, but if he chooses to play for team B, I won't really like it, but I guess I'll have to deal with it, and, team B can go #### itself and if Iggy chooses to play for that team, I hate him and he can go #### himself too.

Seriously, man, you can't argue that you're right, because you just make yourself sound more and more rude every time.
If Iginla waives his NMC to play for a team I hate, they yeah he can go #### himself, just like every other player that plays for those teams.

But why do you care why I feel what I do? And of course I am going to get rude, I was told I was arrogant for stating my OPINION. Just because you share a different opinion, doesn't make mine wrong. It's called an opinion for a reason.

It's not like I am insulting you or anyone else for willing to follow Iginla where ever he goes. So why shouldn't I expect the same in return?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #153
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, with that said, I'll be more inclined to cheer for Iggy if he gets traded to a team out east.
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #154
Nuckleduster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm a Nucks fan who cheers for Iggy and have done so since the '02 Olympics. His skill, determination, and class will not change with the uniform, even if he ends up on a team that I despise like Chicago or Boston. If they win the Cup with Iggy on their team, I'll take some consolation in the fact that at least one player who deserves it will get a Cup ring, though if Iginla does leave the Flames, I'd like to see him reunited with Crosbie on Pittsburgh (and if he accidentally repeatedly elbows Cooke in the head at practise, that's a bonus.)

Last edited by Nuckleduster; 03-13-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Nuckleduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #155
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Who the #### votes "no" on a poll like this?
Indeed.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #156
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
Indeed.
I'll answer, since I was one of the few that voted no.

The type of person who voted no does not care what other players on other teams do. I see most other teams as the enemy. Every spring when I see another team lift the Cup, I feel bad regardless of who is on the other team.

If next year Iginla is not a Flame and Blake Comeau still is, then I will want Blake Comeau to win a Cup before Iginla, and if that's the case, I can't honestly say that I would be supporting Iginla as I would always be hoping for the Flames to succeed before him. It's also therefore implied that I want the Flames to defeat whatever team Iginla would be on every single time (including if it meant depriving Iginla of a Cup).

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-13-2013 at 07:00 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #157
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It boils down to being a fan of the front of the jersey, not the back.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #158
PloKoon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'll answer, since I was one of the few that voted no.

The type of person who voted no does not care what other players on other teams do. I see most other teams as the enemy. Every spring when I see another team lift the Cup, I feel bad regardless of who is on the other team.

If next year Iginla is not a Flame and Blake Comeau still is, then I will want Blake Comeau to win a Cup before Iginla, and if that's the case, I can't honestly say that I would be supporting Iginla as I would always be hoping for the Flames to succeed before him. It's also therefore implied that I want the Flames to defeat whatever team Iginla would be on every single time (including if it meant depriving Iginla of a Cup).
And Iginla doesn't? He has felt this way literally every spring in his career, a career of solely carrying this team on his back to no end. To not support a guy who supported this franchise, who is the only guy to get excited about when he comes over the boards, just makes no sense to me. We all hate the enemy, but jesus... this guy gave it all. Obviously at this point he is not a top 20 in the league guy anymore (statistically), but the genuine character of the guy and what he does for the city doesn't come around often in the NHL.

When he gets traded, I will support him all the way and instead direct my anger towards flames ownership for letting it get to this point in the first place. They are left holding the bag on this one.

Last edited by PloKoon; 03-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.
PloKoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #159
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
For me, personally, I will. If he ends up going to the Penguins (or which ever team), I'll be the first one in line to get a new Jarome Iginla jersey. I'll watch his games and cheer him on.

...Let's not get things mixed up. My allegiance is to the Flaming C and who ever wears it. But I will cheer Iginla on, no matter where he goes.
I hope that Iginla is NOT traded, and plays every game of his NHL career for Calgary. I would be much more open to trading Kipper and JayBo, but Iginla is different for me.

If it does come to pass, I will wish him nothing but the best. However, I will NOT be buying a jersey of his new team. I will never wear the symbol of any NHL team besides the Calgary Flames. Period.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #160
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It boils down to being a fan of the front of the jersey, not the back.
God, I hate that line. Why the hell can't I be both?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:

Tags
cup contender , iginla , jarome , support , trade