Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #201
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well you leave after rush hour and your drive is only 15 minutes. Why would you mind?
I'm just saying I actually wouldn't care too much if it was 25 minutes instead of 15 minutes as it gives me a bit more time to listen to the radio before I start work.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #202
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

From a pedestrian commuter I should add it's not always rosey being able to walk to work. Turns out I got all kinds of wet yesterday during my 15 minute walk home and now I'm going to have to take my dress pants to the dry cleaner to get them pressed. Meanwhile all those lucky enough enough to be in a car/bus/train were dry and warm...

Cars - 1
Walking - 0
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #203
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

30 seconds...faster if I walk up the stairs quicker.
Home office is awesome.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #204
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

32 minutes from Mackenzie Towne to Downtown this morning, leaving just before 7am. I don't often have parking so I typically take the bus.

I almost would rather take the bus most days, as I either get an extra 45 mins of sleep, reading a book, or watch an episode of whatever TV show I am catching up on. I find driving is wasting the time but my time on the bus is normally productive.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #205
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Potential new job will see my round-trip commute be about 90 minutes each work day. Not sure how I feel about that yet.
So, 45 minutes each way? BFD. Come back and complain when it takes over an hour each way.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #206
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
So, 45 minutes each way? BFD. Come back and complain when it takes over an hour each way.
Yeah 45 minutes each way isn't fun but it honestly isn't bad at all.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #207
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah 45 minutes each way isn't fun but it honestly isn't bad at all.
45min each way isnt bad?? I'd shoot myself if I still had to do that. Used to live in Coach Hill and moved to Stanley Park (now in West Hillhurst). I get an hour or more of life back every day. 15min commute, max, to work every day regardless of weather or traffic.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #208
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Right now, 3-5 min, but I'm moving to Mahogany later this year and will be about 20 min. as I work by Chinook. May be doing something about my office location at around the same time to bring it back down to about 8-10 min though.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #209
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

15 mins, same as always.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #210
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

60+ each ways, living in Cranston takes way too long to get downtown via public transit.

I can't wait to buy a place downtown after this summer.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #211
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
From a pedestrian commuter I should add it's not always rosey being able to walk to work. Turns out I got all kinds of wet yesterday during my 15 minute walk home and now I'm going to have to take my dress pants to the dry cleaner to get them pressed. Meanwhile all those lucky enough enough to be in a car/bus/train were dry and warm...

Cars - 1
Walking - 0
That's not entirely true, don't feel alone. Many of us got soaked waiting for buses that don't arrive anywhere close to when they're supposed to.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #212
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have not had a (typical) commute longer than ~15 minutes in over 15 years. Living central (not necessarily downtown though) has paid off handsomely.

Further, now that I'm finally in a position to make use transit, I don't have to get wound up over people cutting me off or doing stupid/dangerous things just to save 10 seconds. I listen to the radio, chat up the cute girls (whom all seem to like the bus??) and arrive safe and sound. The ONLY complaint I have (as mentioned above) is that afternoon bus arrival times in the core is a total crapshoot.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #213
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
45min each way isnt bad?? I'd shoot myself if I still had to do that. Used to live in Coach Hill and moved to Stanley Park (now in West Hillhurst). I get an hour or more of life back every day. 15min commute, max, to work every day regardless of weather or traffic.
My commute is not bad at all, but I've done a lot worse then 45 minutes before I moved back to Calgary, so when I see people whining about that, I laugh a little.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #214
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I have not had a (typical) commute longer than ~15 minutes in over 15 years. Living central (not necessarily downtown though) has paid off handsomely.

Further, now that I'm finally in a position to make use transit, I don't have to get wound up over people cutting me off or doing stupid/dangerous things just to save 10 seconds. I listen to the radio, chat up the cute girls (whom all seem to like the bus??) and arrive safe and sound. The ONLY complaint I have (as mentioned above) is that afternoon bus arrival times in the core is a total crapshoot.
Does the 15 minute commute include waiting 20 minutes for the bus?

Not directed at you specifically but IMO walking to the bus stop (2-10 minutes) and waiting for the bus (2-15 minutes, especially when trying to get out of DT during rush hour) needs to be included in commute time. A couple of weeks ago some sales guy at a showhome in Kincora said I could get to work DT in 40 minutes by driving to the park and ride and taking the train. I'm guessing but the actual time door-to-door would likely be an hour, if not more, once you factor in waiting, walking, etc.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #215
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
My commute is not bad at all, but I've done a lot worse then 45 minutes before I moved back to Calgary, so when I see people whining about that, I laugh a little.
I used to do 45 to 60 tsking the train from bridlewood to downtown. Now I work in the South so I bike to work in 10 minutes going their or 15 coming home.

I would have a hard time going back. But i do somewhat miss my time on the train reading. I used to pour though a book in a week or less now i take a month and need to work to find the time to do it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #216
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Does the 15 minute commute include waiting 20 minutes for the bus?

Not directed at you specifically but IMO walking to the bus stop (2-10 minutes) and waiting for the bus (2-15 minutes, especially when trying to get out of DT during rush hour) needs to be included in commute time. A couple of weeks ago some sales guy at a showhome in Kincora said I could get to work DT in 40 minutes by driving to the park and ride and taking the train. I'm guessing but the actual time door-to-door would likely be an hour, if not more, once you factor in waiting, walking, etc.
My morning "round trip" is ~15 minutes, including any walking/waiting, although I have arguably the best situation possible.

1. Bus stops that are (essentially) at my doorstep, home and office.
2. Excellent visibility to determine if traffic is flowing/delays.
3. Live along major bus routes.
4. Flexible scheduling

Typical Morning: 559am bus gets me in the office by 615am. The walk/wait is perhaps 60 seconds and almost always runs like clockwork. Similar travel time for later buses as well.

Typical Evening: 508pm bus is a 1 minute walk and gets me home around 525-530pm if things are running smoothly. Once/twice a week will see crazy traffic that delays the trip by up to 10 minutes. I look out my office window before I leave for the day and if traffic is nuts, I usually just spend an extra half hour at work while it calms down.

I'm going to say it......I'm actually surprised and fairly impressed by the overall quality of service I get from Calgary Transit. I expected a 5/10 and have decided it's a 7.5/10.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #217
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The morning commute will likely be shorter than the evening one because I won't be fighting traffic as much of the way. At least from what I've heard.

And I'm not necessarily complaining, it'll just be an adjustment. I lived out of town when I commuted to U of C, and at first it seems like you're always on the road. But you get used to it. I've had a 45 minute one-way walking commute before, but would more often drive or take transit so it would only be 10 minutes each way.

People can adjust to just about any commute time IMO.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #218
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It usually takes me 20-25 minutes to get to work from Woodlands to Golden Triangle(close to Foothills Industrial). That is the normal including dropping off my nephews to school. But whenever there is a snowstorm or accidents, double or triple that amount.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #219
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

20-25 each way. Bike takes 37 on the way there 45-50 on the way home. Downtown. A guy who works in our Toronto office used to have a 2.5 hour commute each way.

He used to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before he went to bed...

Seriously. He did that for a few years. I can't fathom how you'd possibly want to do that. Had a few kids too!

Last edited by ranchlandsselling; 04-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #220
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
People can adjust to just about any commute time IMO.
I usually find that they do this by outright deluding themselves with magical new methods of time/distance measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Seriously. He did that for a few years. I can't fathom how you'd possibly want to do that. Had a few kids too!
Well I guess you don't actually have to raise the kids that you bring into this world.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote