Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #81
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambé View Post
Heat lose to the Wolves 5-2
20-9-2 record heading into Christmas.
It should've been 5-3. Henry scored twice but because there's no video replay in the AHL, they didn't give him that second goal.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #82
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looked good the first period and then didn't do much after.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #83
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Back in action tonight. The Heat are dealing with a massively depleted roster, but Ward seems to be able to keep everyone on the same page. Let's hope we've got another streak coming!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #84
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Back in action tonight. The Heat are dealing with a massively depleted roster, but Ward seems to be able to keep everyone on the same page. Let's hope we've got another streak coming!
Not till Thursday, but you're right about the depleted roster. Last game they had signed 3 players to ATOs, but released them the next day.

Some callups need to happen from Utah. For example, John Armstrong is available, so is Severyn if they need a grinder type.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #85
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Weird, I thought I read 27.

They released all the tryout players? Do we even have 18 healthy players?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #86
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Not till Thursday, but you're right about the depleted roster. Last game they had signed 3 players to ATOs, but released them the next day.

Some callups need to happen from Utah. For example, John Armstrong is available, so is Severyn if they need a grinder type.
I'm not sure if they're gonna call up guys from Utah just due to depletion. So far, the impetuous has been merit over necessity.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #87
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I'm not sure if they're gonna call up guys from Utah just due to depletion. So far, the impetuous has been merit over necessity.
Good call.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #88
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Heat have signed Nigerian-born Akim Aliu to a PTO. He plays RW and is 6'3" 220lbs. I've always liked him when he was playing against the Heat. He was always physically noticeable on the ice (especially in his time with the Thrasher's farm team). He'll make a decent 3rd or 4th liner temporarily.

Career-wise, he's been from organization to organization, plus back and forth between the AHL and ECHL. Not great stats, but he'll do his job for the time being.

Here are his numbers: http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2385
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #89
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Heat have signed Nigerian-born Akim Aliu to a PTO. He plays RW and is 6'3" 220lbs. I've always liked him when he was playing against the Heat. He was always physically noticeable on the ice (especially in his time with the Thrasher's farm team). He'll make a decent 3rd or 4th liner temporarily.

Career-wise, he's been from organization to organization, plus back and forth between the AHL and ECHL. Not great stats, but he'll do his job for the time being.

Here are his numbers: http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2385
I thought he was still a decent prospect for the Jets. Was taken in the second round only 30 spots after Backlund in 2007.

Still just 22 years old. He's still on his last year of his ELC with them. How are the Heat able to sign him to a PTO? Did the Jets org just plain cut him loose or something?

Big kid anyhow, 6'4" 220+ lbs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #90
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Still just 22 years old. He's still on his last year of his ELC with them. How are the Heat able to sign him to a PTO? Did the Jets org just plain cut him loose or something?
I don't know, and frankly: I'm confused. I saw Aliu a couple weeks ago here in Austria, he played for Red Bull Salzburg in the European Trophy along Marty Turco and others. It was said that he was loaned from Winnipeg for the tournament. As Salzburg won the tournament, Aliu actually scored the GWG in the final. But I don't know about his status at the moment. This article even makes it more confusing:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames acquired former Windsor Spitfire Akim Aliu from the Winnipeg Jets Monday night.
Aliu, drafted 56th overall by the Chicago Blackhawks, said he wasn't getting the opportunity to prove himself in Winnipeg and hopes he can show Calgary's organization he can still play.
"I've been sitting around almost all year," Aliu said. "I want to get my wind back quick and get my legs going as soon as I can."
Aliu was hanging out with family and friends Tuesday when he received phone calls from Calgary assistant general manager John Weisbrod and general manager Jay Feaster to discuss his role in the organization.
Aliu will join the Flames' minor league affiliate in Abbotsford, B.C.
"I just want to come in here and show them what I can do," Aliu said.
"What happened in Winnipeg happened, if it's fair or not fair. But I don't want to look at that because I'm excited to get an opportunity here. Hopefully, everything turns out good for both parties."
http://www2.canada.com/windsor/winds...b-49fc1b44a26f

did we trade for him or something? Did I miss something? ...

Anyhow, I liked Aliu's play in Salzburg. Big guy, will certainly help in Abbotsford.

Last edited by devo22; 12-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #91
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't know, and frankly: I'm confused. I saw Aliu a couple weeks ago here in Austria, he played for Red Bull Salzburg in the European Trophy along Marty Turco and others. It was said that he was loaned from Winnipeg for the tournament. As Salzburg won the tournament, Aliu actually scored the GWG in the final. But I don't know about his status at the moment. This article even makes it more confusing:

http://www2.canada.com/windsor/winds...b-49fc1b44a26f

did we trade for him or something? Did I miss something? ...

Anyhow, I liked Aliu's play in Salzburg. Big guy, will certainly help in Abbotsford.
Yeah, I suppose it wasn't a PTO then. My bad. All I saw on AHL.com was that he was added to the team. I wonder what Feaster traded for him? Maybe one of our struggling prospects?

Either way, I'm excited to have him. He's very similar to Bancks in his style of play, only a much bigger kid.

BTW, Ward updated the injuries in Abby during this week's "Wednesday with Ward" segment. Rheault will play this week sometime. Ivanans is ready to come back right away. Bancks, Martin, and Sylvester will be out for another 1 to 2 weeks.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #92
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

apparently, we didn't trade for him - according to the Heat website, he was just "loaned from St John's" (http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewAr...CLID=205352395). The article I posted must be wrong then ... I think that if the Flames had traded for him, we would have heard about it by now.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #93
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
apparently, we didn't trade for him - according to the Heat website, he was just "loaned from St John's" (http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewAr...CLID=205352395). The article I posted must be wrong then ... I think that if the Flames had traded for him, we would have heard about it by now.
Yeah, a loan makes more sense. Although I find it funny that Feaster and Wisebrod with talk to him personally. You'd think that would be a job for Dwayne Sutter and/or Ward.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #94
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, a loan makes more sense. Although I find it funny that Feaster and Wisebrod with talk to him personally. You'd think that would be a job for Dwayne Sutter and/or Ward.
true, but maybe there's a bigger picture. His ELC expires in summer and from what I've read he's pretty much done with the Jets. I doubt they'll re-sign him in Winnipeg, so maybe there's a possibility the Flames would sign him in summer if he does well - therefore Feaster/Wisebrod talking to him. But we'll see.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, hopefully the kid catches a spark with a change of scenery. He's still young and has power forward potential.

Also of note, he was the kid that was involved in that hazing incident in 2005 that ended with then Windsor Spitfires coach and GM Moe Mantha, being turfed.

From Wiki:

Quote:
Early in the 2005–06 OHL season, Aliu was involved in an on-ice altercation with then teammate Steve Downie during a practice. Aliu and Downie fought during a practice that took place on September 28 after Downie hit Aliu with a vicious blindsiding crosscheck to the mouth, knocking out three of Aliu's teeth.[4] The incident stemmed from the then 16-year-old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one. Following the incident, Downie was told to undergo professional counseling. Head coach Moe Mantha, Jr. was suspended by the OHL and later fired by the team, and the team was fined $35,000 by the OHL.[5] Downie was subsequently traded to the Kitchener Rangers, and Aliu to the Sudbury Wolves.
...here is an article from 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2196528

Maybe the Jets are done with him, and the Flames are going to give him a shot since Abby is currently so depleted. If it works out with the Heat, maybe they swing a deal afterwards for his RFA rights, or the Jets just won't qualify him and the Flames will give him a contract in July.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 12-28-2011 at 09:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #96
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds funny to me also. Btw, Duane Sutter is with the Oilers now.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #97
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the Heat won 5-3 tonight against the Stars.

Akim Aliu scored a goal in his first game with the organization! Way to go Akim! Hopefully first of many, many more.

Other point getters were:

Kolanos - 1g, 2a
Breen - 1g
Laing - 1g
Mikkelson - 1a
Bouma - 1a
Walter - 1a
Rheault - 3a
Desbiens - 1g

Taylor stopped 42 of 45 shots for the win.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #98
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Rheault is now the all-time leader in franchise scoring for the Abbotsford Heat.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #99
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max had 1 assist tonight (40 points in 32 games)
Leach had no points tonight (21 points in 36 games)
Elson had a fight, but no points (26 points in 30 games)
Holland had 1 goal (43 points in 35 games)

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread...

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 12-30-2011 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #100
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Heat win again!

Danny Taylor's SV% is 2nd best in the league (counting his time with the Heat only). This guy has played absolutely lights out since joining the Heat.

The things Ward does with a decimated roster that experiences this much flux is just amazing.

Rheault and Kolanos continue to pile on the offense. And now Clay Wilson is about to get a shot at the bigs.

The Heat have the most wins in the AHL right now, with a 22-9-2 record through 33 GP. Yet they sit in 4th. lol. Tied with OK City for 1st with 46 pts.

edit:

Just thinking.... Kolanos and Walter are probably too old to earn a two-way contract, but what about Jon Rheault? What are his chances of getting a 2way next year?

Last edited by thymebalm; 12-30-2011 at 11:45 PM.
thymebalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat