Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #201
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty crazy.

I think I might finally take the plunge myself this time around...
Admittedly, I might have taken the plunge a second time if my existing iPad wasn't under AppleCare for another year.

Using 4.3 for a few days now, I think it's only now that even the iPad 1 is really coming into its own. Airplay with iTunes home sharing is a killer app around my house.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #202
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about that comparison, I upgraded my iPad 1 to 4.3 and am not seeing the checkerboarding that he mentions, and my pages no longer redraw when I select their tab...
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellefan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #203
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I read a stat today that said 70% of iPad2 buyers so far have been iPad 1 customers.

That's insane.
Sheep.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #204
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #205
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, what are the chances i'm going to be able to get these in Canada the day they are released?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #206
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
So, what are the chances i'm going to be able to get these in Canada the day they are released?
Pretty easy I'd imagine, I don't think the first iPad was all that difficult.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #207
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it'll be pretty tough actually, don't think alot of units will get sent here.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #208
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Check London Drugs, when I got my iPad everywhere else was sold out, but London Drugs still had a dozen when I went there about 10am the day it was released.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #209
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Check London Drugs, when I got my iPad everywhere else was sold out, but London Drugs still had a dozen when I went there about 10am the day it was released.
Yep, that will probably be my first stop.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #210
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, that will probably be my first stop.

Thanks for the tip. I need one for at trip i'm going on and want to make sure I get one. Hopefully it isn't too much of an issue.

Do people really line up for these things at the apple store? I was thinking about paying someone to stand in line for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #211
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Do people really line up for these things at the apple store?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #212
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ugh, I just want this thing so I don't have to lug a laptop on vacation, this is insane, it shouldn't be that hard to buy a product.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #213
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
ugh, I just want this thing so I don't have to lug a laptop on vacation, this is insane, it shouldn't be that hard to buy a product.
I just picked up the first iPad, and I love it. I see no reason whatsoever to wait for the second one. Once the first gens went on sale, I scooped it up. The lining up, especially for the people that have the first one... is embarrassing. If you really want one, just get the first one. It's a fantastic device. Really glad I waited too, because in terms of apps it's really fleshed out now, and I'm not much of an early adopter anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #214
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but what about the camera. Seems like skype and facetime would be something i would use.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #215
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want this iPad, too, but why would people stand in line for hours? You've waited this long, folks, a few more days more won't kill you.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #216
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

+1 On London Drugs. There is a girl that works at the location on Heritage and Mcleod named Katlyn, that is very helpful, and will give you a deal on Apple branded periferals if you ask nicely.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #217
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I read a stat today that said 70% of iPad2 buyers so far have been iPad 1 customers.

That's insane.

Is it really that insane? With the original iPad, Apple introduced a new product into a new product category and it's hardcore faithful were surely some of the initial adopters of it.

Now that version 2.0 is out, I'd expect nothing less than those same fervent early adopters wanting the Next Big Thing.

I'd be far more surprised if 70% of iPad 2 customers were new customers to the iPad period.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #218
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Is it really that insane? With the original iPad, Apple introduced a new product into a new product category and it's hardcore faithful were surely some of the initial adopters of it.

Now that version 2.0 is out, I'd expect nothing less than those same fervent early adopters wanting the Next Big Thing.

I'd be far more surprised if 70% of iPad 2 customers were new customers to the iPad period.
Interesting...

Quote:
Piper Jaffray: iPad 2 totally sold out, 70% to new buyers

Gene Munster's team at Piper Jaffray walked the iPad 2 lines in New York City and Minneapolis and interviewed 236 would-be buyers. They also called various retailers (Apple stores, Target, Best Buy, etc.) looking for product. The results of their survey were released Sunday night. Their findings:

- Munster is sticking with his estimate of 400,000 to 500,000 iPad 2s sold, compared with 300,000 iPad 1s in its first weekend last year.
- The difference is that nearly all those iPad 2s were sold in one day; stocks were essentially depleted by Saturday and not replenished. In its calls to retailers over the weekend, his team was unable to find a single iPad 2.
- 70% of iPad 2 buyers were new to the iPad, compared with 23% of iPhone 4 buyers who were new to the iPhone at launch.
- Buyers were split almost evenly between Mac and PC users (51%/49%). By contrast, the split for the original iPad was 74%/26%

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/...to-new-buyers/
Edit: My favourite stat is that buyers were split evenly between PC and Mac. So much for the "salivating Apple iSheep" theory.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #219
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

70% being new makes a lot more sense. It's a fantastic product, and while I like Apple products, I can't stand the sheep mentality around them, but this one is hard to ignore. I'm loving my first gen so far.

Lining up for iPad 2 seems crazy to me though, regardless. The seconds one seems to be a marginal upgrade, but oh well, to each their own.

This stat was surprising... and disappointing.
Quote:
but only 6% plan to read with their iPad
with Apple iBooks, Amazon Kindle, and Chapters Kobo Apps it's a perfect ereader. I've found the glare to be a little rough, but I've been toying with the settings and found a good mix.

Maybe that's just me though. I am finished with having a physical book library at home. Love having an all-in-one ereader in the ipad.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #220
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

For those of you with a 1st gen iPad, how is the new 4.3 OS running? Is it a pretty big improvement?

I'm still on the fence about getting a 2nd gen or a used 1st gen. Obviously, the speed and graphics on the 2 are huge bonus... but after spending almost $2300 on a MBP, it might be a better idea to scoop up a 32GB 3G iPad 1 for a few hundred bucks less...

Edit: I'm really only getting one for development purposes, but I'm afraid of suddenly discovering a bunch of uses for it that I haven't thought of yet and then wishing I had bought the faster one. I really have no idea about how people are using these things at all. I still can't imagine using one instead of my 13" MP, or one of my two 17" laptops. Having said that, though, I imagine I'm no different than the people who had no clue how they were going to use one before they bought it, but then figured out a bunch of uses for it and now consider it irreplaceable.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about this, the more I realize I should just get the 16GB 3G iPad 1. I should be able to get one for under $400.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.