Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Default PS Move VS Xbox Kinect

I was at a party over the weekend where they had a Kinect going and it was a ton of fun. Especially in a party atmosphere. The bowling, rafting, etc had us laughing our asses off.

Is Playstation's Move anywhere close to this? I went to the PS3 from 360 when Blu-ray won the format war. I know PS has the eyetoy as well but I was always under the assumption eyetoy was gimmicky and ultimately sucked.

I know the eyetoy also doesnt sense depth or voice or anything. I just wonder if the games can be played similarily, or if you always have to hold the wand thing, or what?

It seems like just to get started I would need a wand/eyetoy bundle for $100 just to get one player. Then I would need the nunchuck thing too, for $30. That gets one player going. Then I'd want at least another wand and nunchuck for $80.

That's $180 and then I still need games.

We'd really like one with party games and fitness stuff. What are your thoughts? Any reccommendations? I'd like to avoid buying both consoles.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The move is the most accurate of all the motion devices out there. Very precise and quick response to your movements. There are many game out there that don't need the nunchuk accessory yet, so it's not necessary. The $100 bundle gets you get the move controller and Sports Champions, plus the demo disk of other move games.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 360 just for Kinect at this point. Both systems are lacking in decent software choices for their motion systems, and you're limited to a couple party games at this point. The novelty will wear off as quickly as it did for many with the Wii.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I initially bought the Move then sold it unimpressed. Bought a Kinect and its pretty awesome. However, I already owned a 360 so it wasn't a big deal.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I think the move has great potential as it is so responsive. Even playing table tennis it's very impressive how you can rotate and tilt the paddle. Sadly, that's also the coolest part of table tennis. The games just aren't that great.

My feeling with Kinect is that it could ultimately end up like the Wii. Super fun when you first start playing, but it gets kinda old after a few months. Perhaps the game developers will step it up, but I don't see it getting far beyond the typical party game genre.

Personally I'm choosing to avoid them both.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I didn't get a Kinect for Christmas, I would take it back. It is incredibly unresponsive, and has a grand total of about 12 games...only 3 of which are getting any decent reviews and/or look like fun.

God bless the person who bought it for me, but right now it is a completely useless peripheral that will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think if I did get one of these systems I'd just go in to it knowing it's a party game or a novelty of sorts.

I wouldnt get a Wii... because I like the non-novelty games from the PS3 and the xBox.

Sometimes it's just the right tonic to liven up a party though, and the wife sure seems to like the idea of the fitness games.

Does anyone with the move have any good party game recommendations?
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
Does anyone with the move have any good party game recommendations?
Step one, cut a hole in a box...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Step one, cut a hole in a box...
Thats Step 2......
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where to find any move controllers in town? I have tried everywhere.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Does anyone know where to find any move controllers in town? I have tried everywhere.
Wow, I didn't expect them to sell out that fast. On boxing day there were still some at futureshop northland when I went but now futureshop and bestbuy are showing zero in stock instore and online.

As for both of these motion controllers, it's really going to be another gimmicky phase of gaming. I had a wii and novelty wore off real fast on that. People stopped playing it a months after it came out. I've only picked it up again for Donkey Kong Country Returns and that doesn't even use the motion controller.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

The PS3 Move is clearly the winner. You can make the eye-pet play with your crotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2llu5-hWdw

I know three people who bought the Kinect - they all love it for exercising. And there is nothing more needed then to move around in front of the TV - no threat of launching a controller into something.

You do need 8-10 feet of clear space in front of the TV for it to work though.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
The PS3 Move is clearly the winner. You can make the eye-pet play with your crotch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2llu5-hWdw

I know three people who bought the Kinect - they all love it for exercising. And there is nothing more needed then to move around in front of the TV - no threat of launching a controller into something.

You do need 8-10 feet of clear space in front of the TV for it to work though.
I have just over 6 feet and it works fine...Granted, the more the better.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinect is awesome, enjoy all 3 games that I have, especially sports. It's so tiring but so much fun. I find it fairly responsive.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have both the move and kinect dance games. While dance central is fun since you don't have to hold anything, singstar dance gets more play at parties since you can have 2 people dancing and 2 people singing at once.

Start the party for move is an ok party game and you only need one controller.

The best game though is Kung fu live and all you need is the camera. It's hilarious and the multiplayer is fun...4 buds can use regular controllers to control the enemies while you fight them.

And you don't that nunchuck thing unless you want to play games like killzone 3 or infamous 2 with the move and even then you can just use a regular controller in your left hand(might be awkward though).

If you want more stuff on fitness games check this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415931

Also, even though it's not a move game the buzz games are fun for parties especially if you can round up 8 buzz controllers.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the PS Move for Christmas and it is decent. I got the eye, controller, and nunchuk. I took the eye back and bought the bundle to get Sports Action, and another wand.

It is fun with a 2nd player ,the warrior game and volleyball are a good time.

I have played kinect once and it was really fun as well but not worth buying a 360 for.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Wow, I didn't expect them to sell out that fast. On boxing day there were still some at futureshop northland when I went but now futureshop and bestbuy are showing zero in stock instore and online.

As for both of these motion controllers, it's really going to be another gimmicky phase of gaming. I had a wii and novelty wore off real fast on that. People stopped playing it a months after it came out. I've only picked it up again for Donkey Kong Country Returns and that doesn't even use the motion controller.
Not to be a Wii defender, because I'm not hardcore into gaming and really don't care, but what are you talking about? My son got Donkey Kong Country Returns for Christmas and it certainly does use the motion control, you have to shake the controller and nunchuk up and down to do the ground punding, and I've only played the thing for about ten minutes and know that much. I know it's not fashionable, but I'm still happy with the Wii implementation especially with the MotionPlus improvements, games like Tiger Woods, Wii Sports Resort and the SMG games have made it worth it. Overall though, I can see people who want more realism in their games being less than impressed with the graphics, but people who complain about the controller mechanics sound like sour grapes to me as Nintendo was definitely in the vanguard on that one.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Not to be a Wii defender, because I'm not hardcore into gaming and really don't care, but what are you talking about? My son got Donkey Kong Country Returns for Christmas and it certainly does use the motion control, you have to shake the controller and nunchuk up and down to do the ground punding, and I've only played the thing for about ten minutes and know that much. I know it's not fashionable, but I'm still happy with the Wii implementation especially with the MotionPlus improvements, games like Tiger Woods, Wii Sports Resort and the SMG games have made it worth it. Overall though, I can see people who want more realism in their games being less than impressed with the graphics, but people who complain about the controller mechanics sound like sour grapes to me as Nintendo was definitely in the vanguard on that one.
I mean like the pointing aspect of the WII motion controls. Not the actual accelerometers.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote