Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Ryan Howse rounds out his game

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ga...140/story.html

"Howse has been feverishly trying to improve all aspects of his game. The 5-foot-8, 185-pounder is in better shape than he's ever been. He's become ornery on the forecheck. He's dependable enough in his own zone now that the Bruins are using him on the 5-on-3 penalty kill, which was unthinkable not too long ago."

"On New Year's Eve, he scored at 3:36 of overtime to give the Bruins a 4-3 triumph over the visiting Kelowna Rockets. The goal was the 72nd of his career, moving him past Oscar Moller and into top spot on the club's all-time list."
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greentree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do not really know much about Howse, but which NHL player could he potentially be compared to? Someone like Dustin Boyd? Maybe Nigel Dawes or even a Drew Stafford?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like House is becoming a real top notch prospect. Leads the W in goals and sounds like a good work ethic. What's with the 5'8" though? He's listed at 5'11" on the Bruin's website.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah leading the W in goals at 18...could be in the running for next years u20s if he continues to round out his play???
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
West Karma
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm

Last edited by West Karma; 03-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.
West Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Karma View Post
I live in Chilliwack and have billeted 2 out of the last 3 years!! Ryan (as I have mentioned in other threads) is a very committed hockey player off the ice. He has an amazing shot with a very quick release. A very classy guy that admires the NHL and what it has to offer.

He is a guy that is developing his 2 way game very nicely this year and is not afraid to throw the body around. I think he is the guy on our team that has benefitted most from having Habby here as a coach. Ryan has paid his dues 2 seasons ago as a young player in the shadows of Mark Santorelli and Oscar Moller (Ryan did not get a lot of ice that year).

I truly think Howsers got the game to take it to the next level - I fully expect him to be in Abbotsford either next year or definately the year after.

In terms of comparison, I would compare him to Dawes or Moss. A little bit more finess perhaps!!
too young for AHL next year I think
Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
West Karma
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm

Last edited by West Karma; 03-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to West Karma For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't watch the 'Dub as much anymore, but the couple times I was in Chilliwack before I moved away I noticed Howse a lot more than I did last year. That said, the whole team has come a long way in a year as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he develops over the next year and a bit. We all know how many kids can pot 40 or 50 goals at the junior level and disappear once they hit pro hockey.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think his high upside is that of say Cammalleri (both short, and have excellent onetimers)

Low side is an ahler.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duane Sutter's take on Howse and Bowma

Quote:
Chilliwack Bruins sniper Ryan Howse and Vancouver Giants captain Lance Bouma are both Calgary Flames prospects. We tracked down Flames director of player personnel Duane Sutter for his take on their progress.

On Howse, a third-round pick from the 2009 entry draft: "I think that his all-around, two-way game is really showing signs of improvement. I think he's really working on the smaller details of his game. I think the coaching staff have seen it and they're rewarding him with penalty killing time -with playing him in situations he didn't see time in before."

On Bouma, a third-round pick from the 2008: "He's the most feared body checker in the Western League. As long as he continues to stay focused and excel on the dirty side of the game, like getting pucks out along the boards and getting the puck in deep and forechecking, he'll be fine. He's turning pro next fall, and with his development from his draft year, through last season and up to this season, we think he's on target to be able to contribute quite nicely as a pro."
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I think his high upside is that of say Cammalleri (both short, and have excellent onetimers)

Low side is an ahler.
Without too much first hand knowledge, I was thinking maybe another Dawes kind of player as an NHLer. A good 2-way 2nd/3rd liner. Maybe it's just because their statures are pretty much identical.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

can someone else confirm whether he is Cammalerri/Dawes small? I hadn't pictured him that way before, I know the article has him at 5'8 but other listings typical 510-511??
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Without too much first hand knowledge, I was thinking maybe another Dawes kind of player as an NHLer. A good 2-way 2nd/3rd liner. Maybe it's just because their statures are pretty much identical.
That's what I think he'll turn out to be as well, but I can't help being optimistic.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
That's what I think he'll turn out to be as well, but I can't help being optimistic.
Optimistic is good. Every once is a while, teams hit homeruns and Howse stands as good of a chance as any I think.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

3 different sites list him as 5'11", including the WHL's. I think the 5'8" reference must just be wrong.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything I have seen on Howse has him as a pure sniper with a real nose for the net? Natural scorer.

Dawes to me was a bit more about having that low center of gravity and forcing his way toward the net, more like a mini-power forward with a decent shot in the slot?

I have seen two Bruins games this season and Howse was clearly one of the best players on the ice in both games. Just simply made things happen offensively.

I am pretty high on his NHL top-6 potential myself. Players never develop the type of touch he has around the net, whereas all he has to do is work to round out his game in other areas.

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 01-06-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Speaking of Howse, he scored a hat-trick tonight. He leads the WHL with 33 goals in 43 games..

Does anyone know where a guy can get some highlights of this game, or of Howse in general?......he must have a hell of a shot.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
West Karma
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm

Last edited by West Karma; 03-15-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Speaking of Kevin Sundher where is he ranked at present anyways? 'cause from my (albeit limited) viewing I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he ended up Flames property.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Karma View Post
On another note - Kevin Sundher threw the body check of the year last night. Look for it too in the highlights after they post them.
Sundher Thunder!?