Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:
Default Self-installing driver packs?

I've been reformatting a few laptops for my company to sell. They are both Dells, one's a D830, the other a D630.

They had all this crappy internet filtering software and other stuff I had to get rid of, so I ordered the Win XP disk off Dell. (It was free because I was in warranty.)

The crappy part is, the disk is for all Dells out there, so there are no drivers included. I have to go to the dell site and download and individually install up to 60 drivers per machine. This takes for freaking ever.

Why the hell do they not pre-pack the drivers into a software that installs them in the right order? How is Joe Blow supposed to know the friggin order of these drivers?

All I can find online are these programs that diagnose what drivers you need and then downloads them automatically. This is really stupid and redundant considering I DON'T HAVE THE DRIVERS FOR THE NETWORK CARD, SO I CAN'T ACCESS THE INTERNET!!

I'm doing this the long way, and it really sucks. Just another reason I love HP and their all-encompassing recovery partition, like what I have on my personal laptop.

Anyways, is there a good website anyone knows of that just allows you to download a driver pack that self installs? Or am I dreaming?

/rant
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Do a search on slipstreaming, you can slipstream the drivers into the Windows install disc so that when you go to install windows with the disc you make, all the drivers will be there.

A lot of work for just a few laptops though, better to just download all the driver packs, rename them 1.exe 2.exe, and burn that all to a DVD.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Do a search on slipstreaming, you can slipstream the drivers into the Windows install disc so that when you go to install windows with the disc you make, all the drivers will be there.

A lot of work for just a few laptops though, better to just download all the driver packs, rename them 1.exe 2.exe, and burn that all to a DVD.
Yeah, you are probably right about that being a bit much for a few laptops, but not only that, I didn't create the windows recovery disc. I had to order it from Dell because we were locked out from the laptops by old employees and didn't have the Pointsec passwords.

What do you mean by naming the drivers 1.exe, 2.exe... how do you know the order they are supposed to be installed in?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For the order I'd just eyeball it.. most drivers don't actually have to be installed in any particular order, but stuff like doing the video driver first makes things easier as you go along, and the chipset / HDD drivers (if any) will make things faster so those should go earlier on, then next the really specific drivers for the interface (Fn key drivers, trackpad drivers, etc), etc etc...

Just be thankful that the drivers are even available to download, I had one Sony where the drivers were all on the install disc, which was lost, and getting another one out of Sony took FOREVER.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Yeah, that's how I did the one, by eyeballing it, and from testing everything it seems to be OK. Thanks for the help.