Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default New System Issues

So I bought a new proc/mobo/vid card/RAM today and I cannot get the ing thing to boot properly. When I try to boot from my old HD's that were working with the old setup, it just stalls. When I try and boot from my windows DVD same thing happens. On the HD currently is Vista 64 and when I try to install Windows 7 or Vista the same thing happens. Anyone got any ideas?

i5 750, GA-P55-UD3R, 8GB of Muskin HP3-10666 RAM, Thermaltake Tough Power 650W PSU, 1 HD a WD Raptor (74GB) and 1 a 120GB drive.

I've tried booting it with each stick of RAM individually as well as each set of 2 and it won't work, as well I have tried booting from an working IDE hard drive and that didn't work either.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the master boot record on the partition that is booting is not compatible with your new mobo. Doesn't make sense that it wouldn't boot from DVD though. My only suggestion is ensure that your boot order is configured properly, but I am guessing you have done that already.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
My guess is the master boot record on the partition that is booting is not compatible with your new mobo. Doesn't make sense that it wouldn't boot from DVD though. My only suggestion is ensure that your boot order is configured properly, but I am guessing you have done that already.

yeah I have it set to boot DVD, HD, FD. Yeah it's pissing me off because it doesn't make sense it SHOULD boot it just isn't the only thing I think it could be is the sata ports/controller being DOA but it shouldn't recognize the drives in the BIOS if that was the case.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

When does it freeze? In the middle of loading the OS, or before it even gets there? It sounds like the latter, in which case maybe try booting from a bootable USB key, which will tell you at least if it's your SATA controller (assuming the USB boot works).
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
When does it freeze? In the middle of loading the OS, or before it even gets there? It sounds like the latter, in which case maybe try booting from a bootable USB key, which will tell you at least if it's your SATA controller (assuming the USB boot works).
it hangs once it gets past the Windows is loading files... screen from the DVD.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
it hangs once it gets past the Windows is loading files... screen from the DVD.
That doesn't sound like the disk controllers, then - unless it can't find a driver for those controllers, I suppose. Try loading up a Knoppix cd and see if it'll boot all the way to the OS... if that works, you probably have a Windows driver issue of some sort. If it doesn't, you can probably be certain there is something defective in your new hardware, in which case I would return it for exchange.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't sound like the disk controllers, then - unless it can't find a driver for those controllers, I suppose. Try loading up a Knoppix cd and see if it'll boot all the way to the OS... if that works, you probably have a Windows driver issue of some sort. If it doesn't, you can probably be certain there is something defective in your new hardware, in which case I would return it for exchange.

I tried a ubuntu live CD but that hangs at the same spot.

Last edited by cSpooge; 10-19-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
I tried a ubuntu live CD but that hangs at the same spot.
Try the bootable usb key if you can then, or just take the m/b back. Not being able to boot from the hard drive or the CD, regardless of OS, is pretty well evidence to me that something's wrong, but it doesn't really matter exactly what it is if you can just get the whole shebang replaced.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Try the bootable usb key if you can then, or just take the m/b back. Not being able to boot from the hard drive or the CD, regardless of OS, is pretty well evidence to me that something's wrong, but it doesn't really matter exactly what it is if you can just get the whole shebang replaced.

yeah that is going to be the plan most likely unfortunately