Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Macbook Battery Question (When Running Windows XP)

I have one of the new mid-2009 17" MacBook Pros. It claims an 8 hour battery life, but realistically I'm expecting about 6 or so.

The question I have is with regards to working with a windows xp vm inside VM Fusion. Most of my classes are 2 hours, but one is 4 hours. I find that I have about 30% battery life left when I leave my 2 hour classes, and I have to leave my 4 hour class early because the battery runs out in about three hours.

When I'm at home, or when I'm just running applications inside the Mac OS, the battery life is fine.

Do any of you guys know any tricks or configuration settings I can use to help extend the battery life when I'm running my XP VM?

PS: I know I can plug my MacBook in at school... one of the selling points behind getting a MacBook, though, is the insanely long battery charge cycle. When I just run Mac OS on its own, I get between 6-7 hours of use on one charge (depending on what I'm doing). It's only when I have to use my xp vm that the battery really drains.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I have one of the new mid-2009 17" MacBook Pros. It claims an 8 hour battery life, but realistically I'm expecting about 6 or so.

The question I have is with regards to working with a windows xp vm inside VM Fusion. Most of my classes are 2 hours, but one is 4 hours. I find that I have about 30% battery life left when I leave my 2 hour classes, and I have to leave my 4 hour class early because the battery runs out in about three hours.

When I'm at home, or when I'm just running applications inside the Mac OS, the battery life is fine.

Do any of you guys know any tricks or configuration settings I can use to help extend the battery life when I'm running my XP VM?

PS: I know I can plug my MacBook in at school... one of the selling points behind getting a MacBook, though, is the insanely long battery charge cycle. When I just run Mac OS on its own, I get between 6-7 hours of use on one charge (depending on what I'm doing). It's only when I have to use my xp vm that the battery really drains.
Just out of curiosity, do you have the virtual machine configured to run with one CPU core, or two?

Running VM's with a single core is much more efficient because VMWare can schedule the VM to run any time a core is available - with a dual core VM, it has to wait for both physical cores to become available at the same time. It stands to reason that this would also be more power intensive, as both cores are involved.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have the virtual machine configured to run with one CPU core, or two?

Running VM's with a single core is much more efficient because VMWare can schedule the VM to run any time a core is available - with a dual core VM, it has to wait for both physical cores to become available at the same time. It stands to reason that this would also be more power intensive, as both cores are involved.
Actually, I do have it set to run two cores. Also with 2GB RAM. I'll turn that off and see how it runs in tomorrow's class.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I do have it set to run two cores. Also with 2GB RAM. I'll turn that off and see how it runs in tomorrow's class.
I'd be quite interested to know if it makes a difference...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Cool I'll let you know. I hope it does, it's going to suck if I have to start plugging in. The battery life is one of the selling points behind spending three grand on a MacBook.

Damn you DeVry and your "IE-only" online apps. Requiring Windows for the VB class can obviously be forgiven, but online apps that won't even work in Firefox? Basterds.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

you can also try using a app called smcfancontrol, by lowering the fan speed your battery life may increase. sometimes the fans go faster then needed
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Actually I already use it, but I use it mostly to speed up my fans to keep the macbook cooler.

(Though I have the fan speed turned down to 2500rpm when in the Battery state. I guess could probably knock that down to 2k.)
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Damn you DeVry and your "IE-only" online apps. Requiring Windows for the VB class can obviously be forgiven, but online apps that won't even work in Firefox? Basterds.
I hate those types of things that only work properly in IE... that's why I love my IE tab add-on for firefox.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
I hate those types of things that only work properly in IE... that's why I love my IE tab add-on for firefox.
Yeah, I tried that too... but the main app I use for one of my classes wouldn't even work in that. Couldn't even log into the site, the login button was literally disabled.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
Not an option on a Mac.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
you can also try using a app called smcfancontrol, by lowering the fan speed your battery life may increase. sometimes the fans go faster then needed
SMCFanControl sets the baseline speed, not the upper limit. And it won't go below Apple's minimums.

And the fan doesn't draw much power relative to the screen & CPU anyways.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Cool I'll let you know. I hope it does, it's going to suck if I have to start plugging in. The battery life is one of the selling points behind spending three grand on a MacBook.

Have you tried Crossover by CodeWeavers? It runs IE "natively" using an emulation of the Windows libraries. I'm able to use it for the one IE-only web app I need at work, and lets me avoid having to use virtualization all together.

It's worth a shot - it installs and uninstalls like any other Mac app, and is driver-free, so its easy to try.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Have you tried Crossover by CodeWeavers? It runs IE "natively" using an emulation of the Windows libraries. I'm able to use it for the one IE-only web app I need at work, and lets me avoid having to use virtualization all together.

It's worth a shot - it installs and uninstalls like any other Mac app, and is driver-free, so its easy to try.
Hey cool, I'll look into that. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When i had windows specific apps i just used boot camp, as the battery doesn't get killed that way, but if you were also using the osx component then yeah, no point.

crossover's site has a compatibility list, and user notes on specific apps, check it out for your program. mine wasn't compatible, but havn't checked since the newest build
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I wouldn't mind doing the boot camp thing, but it's a pain in the ass to have to switch back and forth.

I like VM Fusion because I can just save the state and then close it. When I need to go back in to do some homework or whatever, it's a 15 second procedure to restore the saved state, and away I go. I can still have itunes in the background and everything else I'm working on.

I'm looking at Crossover right now (or at least I'm going to, when I finish this post). Other than IE, the only thing I'll need it to support is Visual Studio 2008. Oh, and Office 2007.

Edit: Doh. Right off the bat, Visual Studio 2008 = "Known Not to Work." Maybe I'll try a Windows 7 image instead of XP. I know it'll probably use more power, but I'm trusting that it'll have some decent power management (you'd think, at least).

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-15-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Oh by the way... It turns out I left it at 1 processor and only 1024 RAM. I mentioned earlier that I was using 2 processors and 2048 RAM, since I usually do that, but I forgot I used minimal settings on this VM.

Edit: I'm going to try recalibrating the battery too. Maybe that'll help? Also, what about resetting the SMC? If I were to do that, would I do it before or after the recalibration? (And is it even worth doing?)

When I got to class this morning, I noticed it was saying (in Mac OS) that my battery was at 96% but the time remaining was showing just under 4 hours. I had (literally) no apps opened at all. I checked my activity monitor, and it there was nothing alarming. I think I had one process ("All Processes" was checked) that was running at 4% and everything else was under ~1%.

I'm starting to think this is a battery issue, not a Windows VM issue...

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-15-2009 at 09:27 PM.