Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:
Default A Silly Hard Drive Question

So I'm suddenly in need of some internal hard drives. I have several externals laying around. Would I run into any problems if I opened up the casing of my external hard drives and removed the drive from inside? My extremely limited knowledge of them leads me to believe an external is just an internal with a casing and the appropriate guts to read via usb. Is that correct?
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
So I'm suddenly in need of some internal hard drives. I have several externals laying around. Would I run into any problems if I opened up the casing of my external hard drives and removed the drive from inside? My extremely limited knowledge of them leads me to believe an external is just an internal with a casing and the appropriate guts to read via usb. Is that correct?
Yes. Just make sure the drive you're taking out of your external casing is the same type of drive. ie: SATA or IDE and the right size as well, 2.5" vs 3.5" (notebook size vs desktop size)

On another note, if your old external HD isn't working, make sure it's the drive that isn't working and not the casing itself (usually for the 3.5" ones that come with a power supply, they have parts that can fail)
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Yes. Just make sure the drive you're taking out of your external casing is the same type of drive. ie: SATA or IDE and the right size as well, 2.5" vs 3.5" (notebook size vs desktop size)

On another note, if your old external HD isn't working, make sure it's the drive that isn't working and not the casing itself (usually for the 3.5" ones that come with a power supply, they have parts that can fail)
Thank you very kindly, this is excellent news. When in doubt ... CP.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote