Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
van fan down by river
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Greg Nemisz

Where does Nemisz rank as a prospect for the flames. in your opinon.
van fan down by river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Depends what terms you mean. If you just wanted to know from 1-10 type of thing. I put Nemisz 3rd behind Backlund and Irving.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
van fan down by river
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is he a sure fire prospect??
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by van fan down by river View Post
Is he a sure fire prospect??
No.

But that isn't really something that should be a shock. I don't think anyone drafted at his spot is going to be a sure fire prospect.

He has some very good qualities and has progressed nicely but still is a number of years away from the NHL.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sure fire prospect is not a good term. Daigle was considered a sure fire prospect.

I think he is a sure fire NHLer, but it remains to be seen what impact. he has alot of potential, but there are some things that need to be improved first.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
van fan down by river
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Sure fire prospect is not a good term. Daigle was considered a sure fire prospect.

I think he is a sure fire NHLer, but it remains to be seen what impact. he has alot of potential, but there are some things that need to be improved first.
LOL.. sure fire NHLer is more what I was getting at. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
No..
Yeah, exactly. There is about 1% of NHL prospects that are "sure fire", and those are usually the top couple of picks in each draft.

I don't know where Nemisz would rank, rankings are hard to do, but I firmly believe that the Flames are in good shape moving forward with a combination of Nemisz, Backlund, Pelech, and Irving. I think all four could make cases for top Flames prospect.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, exactly. There is about 1% of NHL prospects that are "sure fire", and those are usually the top couple of picks in each draft.

I don't know where Nemisz would rank, rankings are hard to do, but I firmly believe that the Flames are in good shape moving forward with a combination of Nemisz, Backlund, Pelech, and Irving. I think all four could make cases for top Flames prospect.
With Aulie and Negrin coming on strong behind them....

Claeren.
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget about the potential of Wahl and Brodie as well.

Interesting times within the Flames prospect system.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the Flames' depth, I wouldn't see them rushing Nemisz into the bigs anytime before 2011. That said, he's shown great grit and skill with the Spitfires. He's very much a Sutter-type player.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Flames easily have the best prospect base of all the NW Division teams.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Flames easily have the best prospect base of all the NW Division teams.
Leland Irving will likely see NHL time in 2010, depending on his training camp and the status of Curtis McElhinney.
Matt Pelech & John Negrin have seen NHL time and not looked at all out of place. Keith Aulie is likely in a similar position in the next year or so.
Mikael Backlund is turning heads in the WHL playoffs. Ditto Greg Nemisz in the OHL playoffs.

And that's not even counting guys like Wahl, Brodie and others.

Yeesh.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commentator during the game last night said he interviewed Tom Webster yesterday afternoon and that he and the Flames are really pleased with Nemisz and how he has improved every aspect of his game this year, he is doing everything right out there, all the little things to improve his game that they were looking for.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO, Neimez is similar to Andrew Ladd minus the expnectations. Both play a somewhat similar game, they go to the net and are big bodies. Ladd fed of Getzlaf so he was drafted very high. Neimez wasn't drafted as high in the 1st but plays with very talented linemates.

IMO, he will be a similar player to ladd. Which is a steal at his draft position.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Don't forget about the potential of Wahl and Brodie as well.
I'm curious, but how does Neimez compare to the Wahlrus. I'm curious, because both have had some great Memorial Cup Playoff experience and they drafted in the same year. I honestly think Wahl was a steal inthe second round. But how is their development going so far? Anyone who watches these guys on a regular have any opinions.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
IMO, Neimez is similar to Andrew Ladd minus the expnectations. Both play a somewhat similar game, they go to the net and are big bodies. Ladd fed of Getzlaf so he was drafted very high. Neimez wasn't drafted as high in the 1st but plays with very talented linemates.

IMO, he will be a similar player to ladd. Which is a steal at his draft position.
I was just looking at Ladd's profile and was shocked to see he was drafted 4th overall! Wow, way higher than I would have guessed.

Then you look at the draft that year (still a bit early granted, but not by much) and see how few really good players it produced:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NHL_Entry_Draft

Ovechkin, Malkin, Green and Streit are big exceptions, and Radulov if he had stuck it out, but it drops off fast after that. Cam Barker went 3rd, and there a bunch of other names in the first round that are becoming regular career NHLers, but the biggest point to me is that Calgary did pretty well considering how lean it is: Boyd, Prust and Pardy are absolute steals at their draft positions. Chucko is certainly no worse a pick than many teams made around that spot (only Mike Green really stands out as a missed opportunity), and even the Spratt's and Cracknall's of the world have been useful depth picks considering how late they were picked.

Nemisz certainly compares well with Ladd though, and he has now grown taller, bigger and has more WHL experience/production than Ladd ever had (Ladd dropped off Giants first year in WHL, then played in BCHL and only managed 2 senior seasons in WHL). Shall be interesting to see if he can pull it together at the pro level.... fingers crossed!

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 05-10-2009 at 12:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Claeren For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've heard it mentioned once that power forwards develop a lot slower than other positions, besides maybe defencemen.

Is Neimez going to be a David Moss, or his upside higher than that? Are we looking at a future 20 goal guy, or a 30+?
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm, I would place Nemisz above Moss in terms of total upside.

I see Moss as a 5th-7th team forward, either as a top tier 3rd line power forward or as a bottom tier 2nd line power forward. The absolute (unlikely) upside being as a regular 2nd liner (4th-6th team forward).

Nemisz I think would be seen as a topline winger still at this point, the 3rd-4th forward on a team who plays as the weakest (skill not size) player on the topline or the stronger player on the 2nd line.

Obviously Nemisz is a lot younger (7 years or so?) and further from being anywhere near a pro so it is not really a fair direct comparison?

Moss is an absolute stud considering he is a 6th round pick though. Nemisz is a 1st round pick in a very deep draft year for a reason and thus projects accordingly I think.

Claeren.
The Following User Says Thank You to Claeren For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something else for people to consider.

Nemisz (June, 1990) is 15 months younger than Backlund (March, 1989).

15 months meaning a lot at this age, the question would be, how much more of an impact player would Nemisz be compared to Backlund after another year of WHL (opps, OHL) hockey? The answer to which we will never know because I would think he is in the AHL next season instead?? (< EDIT: He is in the OHL again next year, crazy!)

But regardless, makes me even more hopeful for Nemisz's chances as a NHLer.

Claeren.

Last edited by Claeren; 05-10-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post
The answer to which we will never know because I would think he is in the AHL next season instead??
Isn't Nemisz ineligible for the AHL next season? I thought you had to be either 20+ years old or had to have played 4 full seasons in major junior in order to play in the AHL.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: