Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:
Default Upgrading receiver, help!

So I upgrade my old Optoma to the new 720p Native Epson:

http://www.avdeals.ca/epsonprojectors/powerlite720.htm

I purchased the PS3 since for me it seemed like a handy way to play rockstar and have a blu-ray player

I have a few questions since I'd like to make sure my receiver purchase makes sense for my setup.

I have component going from my drop ceiling location to the receiver, shaw HD pvr, etc.. I was told that HDMI cable wouldn't be ideal since the length from my receiver to the projector going up the wall and across in my drop down ceiling (18f lenght), would make the HDMI too long to work as it should.

So basically I'd like to connect to the Receiver the PS3 HDMI, Projector with the Component and I'd be using the optical connection from the shaw HD pvr to the receiver, and/or if necessary depending on receiver the optical from the PS3 as well (if my receiver does not convert the HDMI audio.)

So here's the list of ones I've been reading about:

A bit out of my range $999 - Pioneer VSX-9120TXH-K
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

Cheaper option, since I have 5 speakers and don't need tons of watt per channel, I hear this is a solid unit - Harmon Kardon AVR 146 $449

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0086964&catid=

The one I'm leaning towards, always liked Onkyo receivers.

Onkyo 605 $638

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=143&productId=751&menuId=3 68&parentId1=139&parentId2=''&parentId3=''&menuLev el=2

I'll be upgrading my speakers later, maybe late summer. I'm currently using some Energy speakers I got back in 2003, still sound great and I have a nice 10" sub keeping me happy.

So any advice would be much appreciated, I'm still a bit green with home theater since I haven't really been into it in the last 3-5 years.

Last edited by Thor; 03-18-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would highly suggest the Onkyo, I have one myself and love it. I'd like to say that I'd save you a whole bunch of time by going straight to the 605 but it's a very solid unit that should handle all of your needs. The only drawback is that it only has 2 HDMI inputs but an HDMI switch can easily remedy that.

Go see Keith at the NE Visions, he helped me greatly and gave me a decent price for it. If you're feeling like a road trip, my friend was able to buy one south of the border for about $150 cheaper.

As an aside, I was able to find the Harmony One at the NE Visions, sure beats waiting for it to be availible through the Logitech site!!
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Thanks Bean, I was wondering what you paid for the 605, I've read good things about it as well.

Man I'm trying to keep a budget, but if I actually see Harmony One I'll probably splurge on it
Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think I got the 605 for $630 all in, This was last fall though, so I'm sure the 'regular price' has dropped since. The Harmony remote, you can ask the Visions rep to price match online (Canadian retailers) for $225.

I know that they're trying to sell the remote for $300 but Visions isn't too bad to deal with if you know what you're talking about and what you're looking for.

Fire any questions my way if you've got them.

p.s. if you go to London Drugs, they carry Onkyo recievers as well. I know for a fact that the Brentwood location was clearing out some of the Onkyo recievers a few weeks ago so you might be able to pick one up for a good deal. (Higher end model for a killer price)

Cheers,
Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yay! So I went to visions got the 605, $638, the Harmony one for $232.

So after countless hours of hooking up, I've run into a problem and I was hoping you could figure this one out.

So I have going into HDMI 1 on the Onkyo Shaw's HDPVR, HDMI2 is PS3. The thing is to my projector, I have going from the Onkyo the component out. Since I can't use HDMI out due to the 18f length the wire has to travel to my projector

Unfortunately this is not working, I only get a signal when I directly connect the projector to the PS3 or to the PVR.

I've gone through the Onkyo setup to assign the HDMI, etc. However I don't see anything that would fix this situation if indeed this connection does even work.

Any ideas?

Thanks Beacon
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

K I figured it out, gotta use the component out of PS3 and HDPVR, the HDMI's are carrying sound (lol what a waste of money).

So its all good, having fun trying to tweak this now.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Glad you've got it figured out.

You may want to check the Onkyo site as some of the 605 models require firmware updates. I hope you enjoy your purchase!

Larry
Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So I have going into HDMI 1 on the Onkyo Shaw's HDPVR, HDMI2 is PS3. The thing is to my projector, I have going from the Onkyo the component out. Since I can't use HDMI out due to the 18f length the wire has to travel to my projector
Not True!

I have a 50ft HDMI cable from Monoprice that only cost $55 and works flawlessly. They have cables up to 100ft, and many qualities at each different length. If you think about it, an HDMI signal is a digital signal which is either on or off, and it is that series of on/offs that compose the signal. As long as they are getting through without getting lost, the signal transmission will work perfectly. If your analog Component signal is making it, a digital signal will most assuredly work.

Make sure to buy all your cables from Monoprice.com. Their 6ft HDMI cables, as an example, are around $3-5!

http://www.monoprice.com

Last edited by Draug; 03-19-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have a 35' HDMI cable running through my walls from my Onkyo 805 to my projector and it works great.

As Draug said since it's digital, you'd be able to see the evidence right away if the signal was being degraded significantly; you'll either see sparklies in the picture (bright spots) or a blank screen.

Though really for a 720p projector you'll see no difference between component and HDMI, the only potential degradation would be from the internal stuff the 605 is doing to reroute the HDMI, but since it's converting it from digital to analog I dont' think it would be a big issue. You could try hooking up your PS3 directly via HDMI to the projector and then try it through the receiver and the component cable to compare.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I have a 35' HDMI cable running through my walls from my Onkyo 805 to my projector and it works great.

As Draug said since it's digital, you'd be able to see the evidence right away if the signal was being degraded significantly; you'll either see sparklies in the picture (bright spots) or a blank screen.

Though really for a 720p projector you'll see no difference between component and HDMI, the only potential degradation would be from the internal stuff the 605 is doing to reroute the HDMI, but since it's converting it from digital to analog I dont' think it would be a big issue. You could try hooking up your PS3 directly via HDMI to the projector and then try it through the receiver and the component cable to compare.
Hmm interesting, I'm having a tough time finding a long HDMI cable, if 3f are $35 CAD, how much would a 35 be
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
photon

Exp:

Check that link Draug gave, monoprice has reasonable prices on cables while places like FS will rape you.

Mine was $45 or so.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Not True!

I have a 50ft HDMI cable from Monoprice that only cost $55 and works flawlessly. They have cables up to 100ft, and many qualities at each different length. If you think about it, an HDMI signal is a digital signal which is either on or off, and it is that series of on/offs that compose the signal. As long as they are getting through without getting lost, the signal transmission will work perfectly. If your analog Component signal is making it, a digital signal will most assuredly work.

Make sure to buy all your cables from Monoprice.com. Their 6ft HDMI cables, as an example, are around $3-5!

http://www.monoprice.com
Man I have to stop dealing with dumb sales people. Thank you so much for clearing that up, and wow thanks for that link thats more like it for HDMI cables!

Would this be the ticket for me then?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by Thor; 03-19-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh one last question, I did the audio setup for the speakers...

Surround Left/right is the standard back speakers for 5.1?

The Surround back left/right is the 7.1 speakers?

Just wanted to make sure, since I'm still running 5 speakers and a sub

Last edited by Thor; 03-20-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Man I have to stop dealing with dumb sales people. Thank you so much for clearing that up, and wow thanks for that link thats more like it for HDMI cables!

Would this be the ticket for me then?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Yup, that's a good cable for your application.

Quote:
Oh one last question, I did the audio setup for the speakers...

Surround Left/right is the standard back speakers for 5.1?

The Surround back left/right is the 7.1 speakers?

Just wanted to make sure, since I'm still running 5 speakers and a sub
Correct, 5.1 is centre, two fronts and two sides. 7.1 is centre, two fronts, two sides, and to rears.