Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Default QC kicking Grand Rapids ass

5-1 in the second. Kolanos and Chucko (!) leading the charge.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Chucko leading the charge?????. Here's hoping it lasts more than one game.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

6-1 final.

McCarty a non-factor.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was an ass beating!!!!

When GR yanked the goalie going into the 3rd i yelled at him "if i gave up 5 goals i would of stayed in the locker room." and he replied "coach made me come out"
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post

When GR yanked the goalie going into the 3rd i yelled at him "if i gave up 5 goals i would of stayed in the locker room." and he replied "coach made me come out"
Did I hear right on the broadcast that Prust challenged McCarty to go?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:

Wow...I feel bad for the poor guy
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I dont know where that happend at. I do know that Chucko was making a trip for a gordie howe hat trick last night but came up short with the fight.

McCarty looked slow I mean REALLY SLOW. took a 30 second shift and was gasping for air. DVG nailed him in a open ice hit, that was pretty sweet. God I hate the Red Wings.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Yep. It was right infront of me. McCarty grabbed Prust from behind, and it looked to me like Prust said, "Hey old man, you wanna go?"

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
Yep. It was right infront of me. McCarty grabbed Prust from behind, and it looked to me like Prust said, "Hey old man, you wanna go?"

was that in the scrum with a couple of mins to go? I saw McCarty grab him but I couldnt see prust.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

lol. I like that comeback.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol. I like that comeback.
i was sitting right next to PIMking when he said it and i thought the goalie took it pretty well. they always say one of the things it takes to be successful is being able to get over your bad spots.

overall the game was very well played by us. mccarty looked pretty average out there. not really sure he deserved his nhl contract. but its a low risk move for the wings, its not like they can't afford his small salary for whats left in the year. heck, it will probably make them money by getting more people to the game.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Chucko leading the charge?????. Here's hoping it lasts more than one game.
ironically for this game, the two players i don't care for on the team played really well. if i recall correctly, both of chucko's goals were 2nd chance type goals thanks to krissy generating some scoring chances. he actually didn't skate into the corner and shoot from behind the goal line for once. it was fairly amazing. i still feel suck-o looks lost out there. always a step behind, always losing the puck, etc... and i feel is krissy would even give 50% of his effort, he could be the best player on the ice every night.

i hope i don't sound like i hate the team or something. there are really only two guys i don't like. and its because they never seem to be trying.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kinda interesting comment from Allen last night on Kolanos, too. I also sometimes think he's dogging it, but what Scotty said made sense....

One of the reasons that Kolanos can score is because he kinda "deceives" the opposition. The word Allen used was casual, that Kolanos is so casual with the puck that it looks like he's just skating around when actually he's planning a shot and then "surprises" the opposition by shooting when they're not expecting it. That, and the incredible angles that he shoots from....

When you think about it in those terms, maybe he's not dogging it at all. And the guy certainly can pass the puck! I'm going to start watching more closely....might call for a re-evaluation of my opinion now that I know something to watch for!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, there might be some merit to that argument. since other teams players don't get the chance to watch him skate into the corner and shoot game after game, it probably does seem more surprising. to a fan that sees it a few times a week, its anything but surprising.

he definitely knows how to handle his stick. he passes well and has great hands for shooting. he certainly doesn't average a point a game by accident. but like i said above, i feel like if he gave more effort he would be the best guy out there hands down and would have a legitimate shot at getting back to the nhl. though maybe this years numbers and a good training camp is enough to get him another shot.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
yeah, there might be some merit to that argument. since other teams players don't get the chance to watch him skate into the corner and shoot game after game, it probably does seem more surprising. to a fan that sees it a few times a week, its anything but surprising.

he definitely knows how to handle his stick. he passes well and has great hands for shooting. he certainly doesn't average a point a game by accident. but like i said above, i feel like if he gave more effort he would be the best guy out there hands down and would have a legitimate shot at getting back to the nhl. though maybe this years numbers and a good training camp is enough to get him another shot.
Hes a good offensive guy but horrid in the d zone. i made a joke during the game that he went below the face off circles during a back check and said " his Navagation must be broken does he realize that hes playing defense?"
Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

I think Kolanos defintely has a chance at the big leagues again. A team would be crazy to at least not give him a chance. Regardless of his reputation his play has been pretty great. He leads the team in PPG and will probably finish out he year with the most goals.

As far as I am concerned he is one good training camp away from making the big leagues again. A lot of people on this forum dislike him, but you have to keep in mind he suffered some pretty scary head injuries early on in his career.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think Kolanos defintely has a chance at the big leagues again. A team would be crazy to at least not give him a chance. Regardless of his reputation his play has been pretty great. He leads the team in PPG and will probably finish out he year with the most goals.

As far as I am concerned he is one good training camp away from making the big leagues again. A lot of people on this forum dislike him, but you have to keep in mind he suffered some pretty scary head injuries early on in his career.
I'm curious - are you a Quad City fan? Have you seen Kolanos play in person quite a bit this season ?

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

yeah, i would assume you're right. he does seem to have the offensive skills to make it back.

i just feel like he plays as if this team isn't important. as if he deserves to be in the nhl. and maybe i am wrong, and he is not like that. but just by the way i see him carry himself on the ice and stuff.

i know moline illinois isn't where people dream of playing hockey when they are kids. but if he could just pretend for a few months how great it is here, it would be much appreciated!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
I'm curious - are you a Quad City fan? Have you seen Kolanos play in person quite a bit this season ?
I'm curious? Have you ever talked to him personally? How do you know he has a bad attitude or doesn't care about the team?

I think for a person in Kolanos' situation there is a big difference between not carring about the team and wanted to make the big show. Of course, he doesn't want to stay in Quad City forever. He was playing in the NHL and most likely has the talent to go back there.

No I haven't seen him play in person, as I have not been down to watch any live games. However, one thing that doesn't lie is stats. He has been the best player offensively on the team and that will count for something. This is reflected in his own stats and the teams improved play since his return. That in itself should at least have the coaches looking during training camp.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He has been the best player offensively on the team and that will count for something.
Though he might have a higher ppg, I think Stevenson has been a far better player. I think the numbers and especially seeing them play, thats quite obvious.

p.s. sorry for hijacking this thread into a Kolanos thread.