Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Talk to me about Tyler Myers

Seems like a sutter style draft pick.

BIG = GOOD at 6'7. Combines physical game with good skating, looks to be available later in the first round. Local boy, WHL'er...

Is the drafting strategy to go with a forward, or the best player available?

Thoughts?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Myers is an example of why drafting 17-18 year old players is really difficult. Based on the player he is today...he's likely not a first round pick. But if you project where he could be at 23-24...he could really be something fantastic. But you can't say for sure between now and than...is he Zdeno Chara, or Boris Valabik, or a guy like Hal Gill, or a player who'll never make it, who knows?

Of course another factor that NHL GM's will discard is do you have time now to wait for a guy to mature and break through as an NHL player at 23-24 when they can become free agents at the age of 27 now? GM's will always say best player available. Certainly the Flames haven't been shy about taking project type players who may need 3-4 or more years to emerge as pro's under Sutters watch as GM.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt he'll last to the later first round anyway, as of right now he's looking to be a Top 15 pick.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wasn't impressed when I saw him. He didn't look that great at lateral movement, although straight ahead his skating was fine. Also, looked lost out there a lot, made the wrong choice and lost his man a lot.

It was only one game but if we are going to take a risk I would prefer to go with one of the smaller, offensively gifted forwards and take a shot at them.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched him a half-dozen times this year, Moon maybe he had a bad game choice-wise out in Lethbridge but the rest is fairly similar.

My only complaint would be that he could be more physical.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There's such a thing as too big. Aside from the mutant that is Zdeno Chara, most huge guys just aren't very good at actually playing hockey. Too lumbering, too slow, no agility.

I haven't seen the player in question, so perhaps he's more Chara than Boogaard.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bryan Glynn?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

From what I've seen heard and read Tyler Myers will not make it out the top 15.
He has a huge wingspan and great skating. His lateral movement still could use some improvement, but some will attribute that to the fact that he still hasn't adjusted to his new size as he's still growing (6'7" but ver lanky). He has good puck skills and loves to rush the puck. He could stand to use his size more and develop a mean streak.
His team mate Luke Schenn is similar in that he skates well and has great size. But I think Schenn's mental game is more developped. He has more poise and while he doesn't have the puck rushing that Myers is showing, let's not forgert a similar situation in the 03 draft with Coburn, Phaneuf and Suter.
I think Myers will be the Coburn of this draft: a project that takes a long time to arrive but will be a great dman in that he can play in all situations when he finally does play full time.
If it were me, I'd take Schenn though. That guy is as tough as nails and loves to punish people; Scott Stevens with Regher like offence (ie not nearly as good as Stevens).

Around where the Flames are projected to pick (20th or somwhere later *knock on wood*) they'll end up with a smart two way player such as Joshua Bailey, David Toews, Jordan Eberle or a decent two wat defender like Tyler Cuma
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
stevejim73
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Flame4Ever's reveiw sums it up very well.

Personally, I have watched about a dozen Rockets games this year. Tyler Myers is a very good skater for his size, has a huge reach and a good shot. He is not as physical as teammate Luke Schenn, who is a physical force.

Myers is a very lanky guy and is still growing into his body. I've heard that at this point of his career, he is ahead of where Chara was with his skating. Although he is not real physical now, if he grows into his body, he could be a force.

Luke Schenn is a more physical defenseman, plays a more solid defensive game and is more of a sure thing. At this point, Schenn is the much better of the 2 in my opinion. Upside would be a Regehr type.(Definitely Sutter's type of player although I don't think he'll still be around when the Flames draft.)

Myers, on the other hand, is a more risky draft pick, and would be aproject, but has the potential to be the bigger star depending on how he develops. Upside would be a Chara type.

I could definitely see the Sutter drafting either of them if available.

Last edited by stevejim73; 04-21-2008 at 01:38 PM.
stevejim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
loknessmonsters
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't know if you have seen any of the U18 from russia lately but I have to say the d-man that has impressed me the most has been Teubert from the Regina Pats. He has been on the ice a ton and played very well.
The surprises for me at the U18 for Canada have been :
In order:
Taylor Hall 2010 draft
Colten Teubert 2008
Jake Allen 2008
Corey Trivino 2008
Maxime Sauve 2008
Nicolas Deschamps 2008
Not that I thought these guys were not that good, just that they have elevated their game and look better than I thought.
Guys like Hodgeson, Eberle, Cuma, Robak, Nemisz, have all performed as I expected,
The other guys just haven't stood out, but by no means have they been awful.
loknessmonsters is offline   Reply With Quote