Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Living in an apt and running speaker wire(done pics attached)

Anyone else live in an apt or rent a home and have a home theater system? My question is what is the best way? Run the wire along the baseboard to the location then drill a hole the snake it?

I just got a home theater system and I cant stand the wires running through the place.

I will be moving in August so I really can care less if I have to leave the wire in the walls.

Here is a photo, Sorry about the quality of the photo the camera on my phone is lacking

Last edited by PIMking; 01-17-2011 at 08:13 PM.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't you just put the wire behind the base board ? Sometimes you can lift the carpet.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
Can't you just put the wire behind the base board ? Sometimes you can lift the carpet.
I'm at work at this moment, I will be off in 6 1/2 hours though. I will check that because I was planning on drilling a hole and putting plate behind the stand. Then fishing the wires down to the base board and running the wires around to the back of the recliners. Once I get there put two more boxes in and fish the wires to the box.

I can patch the holes and remove the boxes when I leave and just leave the wiring in the walls.

It just looks horrible right now with all the wires all over the place like that.

I just didn't know and wanted to know what people that rent do.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I can tell, you're just bragging about getting to watch ESPN.

Canadian TV sucks.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post

Canadian TV sucks.
I'd take tsn over espn every day of the week
Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

You might want to check with management. If there are holes in the walls and the carpet isn't quite in place when you move out you may lose your deposit and actually might have to pay for repairs (if it's anything like Alberta).

But if they are good with it then you will have a nice setup and so will the next renter.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
You might want to check with management. If there are holes in the walls and the carpet isn't quite in place when you move out you may lose your deposit and actually might have to pay for repairs (if it's anything like Alberta).

But if they are good with it then you will have a nice setup and so will the next renter.
Yes that is the case at most places here in the states too. But when we signed our lease the carpet had "65% life" left. So more than likely they would pull it out after we leave anyways. (and still keep our $250 deposit)

any hoo this is what I did this afternoon and looks ten fold better.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are a lot of good online tutorials about running speaker wire online. However it is really simple.

1: Score the paint and or sealant on top of the baseboards using a utility knife. You don't want to pull them off and take half the paint and gypsum paper with them.... big problem then. Take your time and be super careful to stay right in the corner. A painters edging guide works well to protect the wall.

edit: sometimes the paint does not need to be scored if the tops of the baseboards weren't sealed and or painted over. Just pry one end gently with a chisel or something to see if they have been.

2: Carefully pry them off about a foot at a time. Make sure you place a thin board behind your prying tool so you do not dent wall.

3: You should find a gap large enough between the wall and floor to run the wire, if not, you can use a dremel or other rotating type saw to make one.

4: Run wire.... obviously.

5: Snip brad nails off back of baseboards using wire cutters.

6: Glue them back on using liquid nails about 2 mms above your score line.

If you do it this way, nobody would ever be able to tell you did it. Just snip the speaker wire off at the baseboard when you move, and stuff the leftover nub under the baseboard.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by pylon; 01-17-2011 at 01:45 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post

Canadian TV sucks.
Yeah, I was just thinking TSN's SportsCenter should switch to 3 minutes of NHL coverage replacing it with a whole crap load of NCAA hoops. And have a spotlight on that Wake Colorado/Oklahoma State classic. Pfft.

Come on man, as a hockey fan and a Canadian, TSN is miles ahead of ESPN.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
There are a lot of good online tutorials about running speaker wire online. However it is really simple.

1: Score the paint and or sealant on top of the baseboards using a utility knife. You don't want to pull them off and take half the paint and gypsum paper with them.... big problem then. Take your time and be super careful to stay right in the corner. A painters edging guide works well to protect the wall.

edit: sometimes the paint does not need to be scored if the tops of the baseboards weren't sealed and or painted over. Just pry one end gently with a chisel or something to see if they have been.

2: Carefully pry them off about a foot at a time. Make sure you place a thin board behind your prying tool so you do not dent wall.

3: You should find a gap large enough between the wall and floor to run the wire, if not, you can use a dremel or other rotating type saw to make one.

4: Run wire.... obviously.

5: Snip brad nails off back of baseboards using wire cutters.

6: Glue them back on using liquid nails about 2 mms above your score line.

If you do it this way, nobody would ever be able to tell you did it. Just snip the speaker wire off at the baseboard when you move, and stuff the leftover nub under the baseboard.

Hope that helps.
Pretty much what I did but i just slid it between the carpet and baseboard.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My speaker wire is about the thickness of a garden hose, so it aint going behind anything! of course the speakers weigh 70 lbs each and dominate the front room, love being divorced!!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bad Idea [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Jeans[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Guy #1.....Kevin Nealon

[ open on group of guys sitting on a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]bench[/COLOR][/COLOR] on a basketball court, laughing ]

Guy #1: Hey, we've got our apartment. We ripped up the floors, pipes, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]wiring[/COLOR][/COLOR], and having everything completely redone.

Guy #2: You're renting, right?

Guy #1: Yeah.

[ image on screen: BAD IDEA ]

Guy #3: Well, he's an ex free-base addict, and he's trying to turn around, and he needs a place to stay for a couple of months.

Guy #1: [ tosses bottle to Guy #2 ] Head's up!

Guy #4: Now that I have kids, I feel a lot better having a gun in the house.

[ close-up of the jeans they're wearing, the label reads: BAD IDEA JEANS ]

Guy #3: I thought about it, and even though it's over, I'm going to tell my wife about the afffair.

[ more shots of BAD IDEA jeans ]

Guy #5: I don't know the guy, but I've got two kidneys and he needs one, so I figured..

Guy #2: Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, "When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?"

Announcer: Bad Idea Jeans.

[ shows a group of tough looking basketball players on the court ]

Guy #1: Hey, you guys ready? Let's bet these guys! A hundred bucks.. make that two hundred! Two hundred bucks!

[ fade to image on screen: BAD IDEA JEANS ]

[ fade out ]

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

here are photos from my camera (mucho better)

Installing the wire under the base board I just used a cheap tooth brush and pushed the wire up underneath it.

After

Then

Looks a ton better if you ask me.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you still use that brush on your teeth?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, were you enjoying the music on your ipod, as your television told you to?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Do you still use that brush on your teeth?
No, I brought that in from work ( I work at a hotel) I don't use that type and will not use it for anything else.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Also, were you enjoying the music on your ipod, as your television told you to?
Yes, Classical music helps me concentrate and work smoother.