View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #55
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The thing that stops me from saying the Kipper deal is that he wasn't know to be the next big thing in goaltending, it just worked out that way. It's probably the best value trade in Flames history, but not to much a fleecing.

I have to say the Hamilton trade. Everyone knew Hamitlon was a future top pairing dman and Treliving still managed to get him for extremely cheap. Now THAT'S a fleecing.
That's how I see it too. No one, other then perhaps Sutter, knew of Kipper's potential. I'll never forget an article that came out in the Herald the next day from Bruce Dowbiggen. Can't find the original article, but another CP poster here was able to find the quote:

Quote:
Miikka The Great

Miikka Kiprusoff for a second-round draft pick? Not THE Miikka Kiprusoff? With the 3.25 goals-against average? And a 5-14 record last year? That Miikka Kiprusoff? Apparently Darryl Sutter thinks he's a No. 1 NHL goalie. Oh.
Bruce Dowbiggin, "I Don't Like Mondays", November 17th, 2003
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...41#post4118641

Kipper was a completely unknown commodity at the time. If the Flames go out tomorrow and trade a 2nd round pick for some no name 3rd string goalie, and a couple years later he ends up being a franchise goalie, that's not really a fleecing. If the Flames trade a 2nd rounder for Carey Price, that's a fleecing since it's well known Price is the best goalie in the world. McDavid for a 2nd is a fleecing.

So I see the Hamilton trade as more of a fleecing then the Kipper trade. Literally the entire hockey world knew Hamilton was an up and coming top pairing 40+ pts defenceman at age 22. Bruins fans were livid. Hockey fans around the world were shocked. And now, Hamilton has proven to be even better then when he was acquired, as predicted. To me that's a fleecing.

I'm not old enough to recall if that might be the biggest fleecing in Flames history. But IMO Kipper's trade doesn't belong on the list.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-24-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote