View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Johnny and Monny would be best with a big body who can draw defenders to him and then dish it off, with someone who can dominate the boards and also screen the goalie. Colborne certainly has that potential and is a much better passer than Jones.

I think its a great idea in theory and certainly could be good in practice as well if they can get some chemistry. Colborne has underrated hands (by some) and I think the power forward role on a scoring line is also underrated by some. Ferland hasn't looked ready for the opportunity when he was put up there in training camp. Jones probably looked the best fit on the top line so far but Colborne is theoretically a better fit IMO. Colborne and Monahan can be great on the cycle and all 3 are capable of little touch passes. Colborne is one of our best at screening the goalie and parking himself in front. He's also one of the best at protecting the puck.

I can see what Hartley is thinking there.

Backlund with Bennett and Ferland is intriguing. Lots of youth and skill there with a veteran two-way centre.

Stajan with Jones and Bouma is a nice grinding/checking line. Good two ways, great on the cycle.

Granlund on a scoring line with Raymond and Hudler is interesting too. I could see that line getting hemmed in their own zone at times will be interesting to see how they respond. If they don't play well I could see that line not getting a ton of ice time.