View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #2033
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
When I compare the Isles offer, I think that even if they didn't have Hamonic as as a target, they could have flipped him to the Flames for the Same Package, and thus, 2 1sts and 2 2nds.

Is Bennett plus Valimaki equal to that? In my eyes no.

That being said, the aves (likely) didn't see what they might have got from flipping Hamonic. Nor have they been ok with an enhanced pick package from the Isles, who are known to be interested.

This all leads me to believe that the Aves haven't a clue what they want, and the Aves haven't a clue what he's worth!

In my eyes a Bennett-Valimaki package is quite easily the better offer and it isn't really close.

Break it down like this. Duchene on the Islanders and Hamonic on the Flames makesmit very very likely those teams both make playoffs. I would ballpark those first round picks to be 19-31. Let's say optimistically it is the 19th and 21st pick. Have you ever witnessed 2 picks in that range trade up for 4th overall? Even if you argue in a re-draft Bennett should be picked 8th instead of 4th the 2 1sts packaged together does not get a team in the top 10

Now both 2nds are likely also looking to be late considering the Flames core is locked up for 3 years and the 2nd rounders are both from the Flames over the next 3 drafts (I can't recall which year the Yotes get the 2nd?) let's call those picks in the 45-61 range. Would 2 picks in that range allow a team to trade up to 16 in the first round? Personally I don't think that is close.

In summary Bennett is worth more than 2 late firsts and Valimaki is worth more than 2 late 2nds

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-21-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Autocorrect errors
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: