View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #1002
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I concur, goalies are very weird value wise. You'd think they'd be the most valuable assets because they play the most minutes and obviously have a huge influence on the success of their team. Really though, I don't think any goalie is as valuable on the open market as they are to their own team.

The biggest reason for this IMO, is not a lot separates a higher end goalie from an average one. Your average NHL starter faces about 1800 shots in a season. A goalie with a 0.915 sv% will save 1648 of those shots. A goalie with a 0.925 sv% will save 1665 of them. A difference of 17 goals.

So take the Flames for instance. If they had a goalie save them from 17 more goals against that would have dropped them from 219 GA to 202 GA, a difference of 8%.

However, the Flames scored 222 goals and Dougie Hamilton had 50 points, so he contributed to 23% of the Flames offense last season.

So you have a 1st round pick. One Gm is going to give you a potential 50 point Dman for it, the other GM is going to give you a potential 0.925 sv% goalie. Which one do you take?

I take the Dman every time and then go bargain bin shopping for an average 0.915 sv% goalie.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: