View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

So this should put the Flames over the floor with 20 players signed. Pretty much just a matter of signing Bouma, and the rest of the roster spots to be fought out in camp.

Realistically I don't think Colborne had much of an arbitration case to get paid better than this. Arbitration pays you for what you have done based on comparable players in terms of age, stats, ice time. I think Colborne is still very much a work in progress. He was still the 202nd highest scoring forward in the league despite playing 81 games, just over 14 minutes ice time per game, and less than 15 seconds a game in PK time. Numbers that probably get you paid under 1 million.

But I can see how one can project that Joe will get better, and is worth this contract, and could be a good deal if he can play like he did in the final 30 games. As a winger he was pretty effective, and as he started using his size towards the end of the season, he did look like he could become a guy who's a lot like Bertuzzi who's been playing for Detroit the last 3-4 years. Skilled guy with size who can control the puck, and get you 15 goals and 45 points a year, and be effective in the shootout.