PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Marking Threads

Ducay
12-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey there, just wondering if its possible to have it set up so all posts become read once I leave. Most vbullitin boards work this way (so when I come back, the only threads that are marked as new replys(bolded), are the ones that have actually had new posts (As opposed to now when they stay bolded until I click them.)
Like I said, I know its a feature of vbullitin, and no, I dont really want to have to click on a "mark forums as read" button. I just think that that is how most other forums work, it would be helpful to know what is actually "new"

calculoso
12-18-2006, 07:07 PM
If you look at the "Quick Links" menu item, there is an item to mark the forums read. I don't think there's a way to do it automatically, but this should work for you.

photon
12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
It's currently set to option # 3:

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.So the forum keeps track of everything whereas before it would mark everything as read after a specific time. It will still do that but that's set to 10 days now.

You can mark an entire forum as read by double clicking on the forum indicator (the red circle by the forum that is either red for unread items or greyed out for no unread items).

kermitology
12-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Why do some threads now tell me how many posts I have in it and since what date? It makes it really..odd looking.

photon
12-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Really? I've never even seen that! Can you take a screen shot and PM it to me?

kermitology
12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
WDF? Right after I PM'd you it went away..

photon
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Actually it's the text of the image, if you hover over the little envelopes you will see that text, in that case it looks like the images weren't being downloaded on your browser. Weird.

kermitology
12-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Actually it's the text of the image, if you hover over the little envelopes you will see that text, in that case it looks like the images weren't being downloaded on your browser. Weird.

Yeah.. guess it just game back too. That's quite odd.