PDA

View Full Version : The Skill FAQ - How can skillz pay the bills?

Pages : [1] 2

photon
11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Q: What is Skill?
A: Skill is the tentative name for the reputation system on CalgaryPuck.

Q: What's a reputation system?
A: A reputation system is a way to give feedback to posters. Positive Skill is given to posters who make excellent posts and contribute to the forum. Negative Skill is given to posters who do the opposite.

Q: Can you be more specific?
A: Not quite yet. We're still working on better descriptions for everyone so we're all on the same page. Soon though.

Q: What's the gray icon mean?
A: It means you have no Skill. Everyone starts at zero. A redicon would indicate positive fame, and more icons means more fame. Blue for negative. Right now everyone's gray.

Q: Why not a number?
A: This gives everyone a general idea without being specific and making it a point of contention.

Q: Who gives Skill?
A: A group of anonymous people will/have been hand selected by the moderators to give out Skill.

Q: Why did I get positive/negative Skill?
A: In your control panel you can see the comments left with each point of Skill. It's feedback as to why it was given.

Q: Why do I see a reputation icon on all my posts but no one else's?
A: Basically if you click it it gives you your total reputation as well as the specific reputation that was left for that specific post (if any). We still wanted to have reputation be mostly personal.

Q: When will this battlestatio I mean system be fully operational?
A: Soon.

Q: I have other questions.
A: Ask away.

Tyler
11-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Great work Photon! Love the changes. Here's hoping it improves a few of our negative poster's attitudes.

photon
11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Not just me :)

Changed so that the name Fame is tentative.. if you have any ideas as to a better name shout em out. "Rep" seemed too obvious.

calf
11-26-2006, 06:50 PM
On a Flames board, shouldn't Red be positive? ;)

oh, and instead of Fame, what about "Star Power"? just throwing it out there...

JerzeeGirl
11-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey Photon,
Why can I see an icon on my posts to add to my own reputation but not on anyone else's? I would assume I can't "Kudo" myself..... ;)
JG

Dion
11-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey Photon,
Why can I see an icon on my posts to add to my own reputation but not on anyone else's? I would assume I can't "Kudo" myself..... ;)
JG

I have the same problem.

calf
11-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I think it's because only a select group can add reputation to others...the reputation link on your own name shows if someone in that group added reputation or not to that post

SpitFire40
11-26-2006, 06:56 PM
This system seems somewhat flawed... People like myself have a strong past history of dislike for whatever reason. I can see myself being tagged on that for that very reason. Time will tell, i'll keep faith in you guys.

Define Excellent post's too... Seriously. You can't expect people to write in depth essays all the time, let's not forget that CP exists as a form of entertainment, not a Hockey 101 Class.

Anyways, I'm planning on releasing my Monthly Calendars again starting in December, and while my post's aren't always on point or awe inspiring hopefully it'll dig me out of the dumps... a little ;)

...Or I'll stop posting them, ya bastids! j/k

JerzeeGirl
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Anyways, I'm planning on releasing my Monthly Calendars again starting in December, and while my post's aren't always on point or awe inspiring hopefully it'll dig me out of the dumps... a little ;)

...Or I'll stop posting them, ya bastids! j/k

I think your calendars are great Spitfire - if I had an option I'd drop you a Kudo when I put them on my desktop every month.....:D

Azure
11-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Awesome....I hope this system works great!

Dion
11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Looks like an great system!

photon
11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Photon,
JG

Oops I forgot to answer that.. basically if you click it it gives you your total reputation as well as any reputation that was left for that specific post (if any). That's why you can only see yours (as opposed to everyone elses).

JerzeeGirl
11-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Oops I forgot to answer that.. basically if you click it it gives you your total reputation as well as any reputation that was left for that specific post (if any). That's why you can only see yours (as opposed to everyone elses).

Thank you sir, my mind is greatly relieved that I am not the only person responsible for adding my on Kudo's while being prohibited from doing so by the system & the mods.....;)

Jiggy_12
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
You could call it Skill level maybe?

I think Fame works though.

Bacardi 151
11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
You could call it Skill level maybe?

I think Fame works though.
I agree. Fame seems to work the best, but if you really don't like "fame" how about making it something like the best fame = "1st round draft pick" or something like that? I don't know how well that would work, due to the fact that I think one's potential fame could be unlimited. But if there is a ceiling for fame, maybe the draft pick idea could work?

Shawnski
11-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Not just me :)

Changed so that the name Fame is tentative.. if you have any ideas as to a better name shout em out. "Rep" seemed too obvious.

Well that should be your "Shtick" rating (sounds/looks like "Stick") and would be appropriate.

Edit... I think there is no "c" in shtick....

Temporary_User
11-26-2006, 10:18 PM
ahh, I was reading the thread in OT and was thinking about this.
I don't really like the name fame. I really don't have any suggestions. I think the squares speak for themselves though.
could take place of post counts?

Also what exactly does fame do? I understand that you wouldnt want to get any negative fame. but really why not? does it have any consequences?
Cant post threads in certain forums?
Cant relpy to thread that you received negative fame in?
Banned from forum for a time period? be it night, week, month?

Why do I want to receive positive fame?
Is it just another class distinction like some view post count?
I really cant see a true benefit for receiving positive fame. I'm here to discuss hockey, not see how popular I am over the internet.

How will it work, say I receive 1 positive, then 1 negative will I go back to zero? or will the consequences for receiving negative fame (such as above) be ruled upon me? Say I had 2 positive then 1 negative?

Is it neccessary for everyones fame level to be visible to everyone on their posts?
I dunno but on a forum I visit (tottally different type then this though) post counts and such are only visible if you look @ someones profile. Only name and join date is visible. I understand every forum is different, but this works out well because then it seems people are more viewed on their posts then the post count.

How exactly will pos/neg fame be given out?
Maybe sample posts you could direct me to?

I'm eager to see how this will work out.

SebC
11-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure I like the name "fame". I mean Jim_Shergill had lots of fame (for 15 minutes), but wasn't a good poster at all. I like the "skill" suggestion. Quality, perhaps?

TimSJ
11-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Great work guys..

kermitology
11-27-2006, 08:33 AM
On a Flames board, shouldn't Red be positive? ;)

Yeah and BLUE is negative.. Stoopid Oilers/Canucks.

getbak
11-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah and BLUE is negative.. Stoopid Oilers/Canucks.

Or fireballs are positive and oil drops are negative.

photon
11-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Hm.. skill isn't bad, but makes no sense to new people. I kind of like it though.

Mccree
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I like the colour suggested above red is good, blue is bad

Mango
11-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Neat :) I like the addition!

photon
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
ahh, I was reading the thread in OT and was thinking about this.
I don't really like the name fame. I really don't have any suggestions. I think the squares speak for themselves though.
could take place of post counts?

That's a good idea.

Also what exactly does fame do? I understand that you wouldnt want to get any negative fame. but really why not? does it have any consequences?

Cant post threads in certain forums?
Cant relpy to thread that you received negative fame in?
Banned from forum for a time period? be it night, week, month?

If someone's fame goes low enough then we may review them as a user and see if we want to limit them or even keep them around.

Why do I want to receive positive fame?
Is it just another class distinction like some view post count?
I really cant see a true benefit for receiving positive fame. I'm here to discuss hockey, not see how popular I am over the internet.

It's not really something to work for, it's more a way for us to track people who contribute and for others to get a guage on that. It's not about popularity. Most people if they just post as they normally do most likely their rating will slowly go up over time. For people who constantly derail threads, make stupid threads, etc, their rating will drop over time.

That helps us keep track of things, and it will also help you as a thread reader as you'll be able to more easily skip over posts made by negative posters.

How will it work, say I receive 1 positive, then 1 negative will I go back to zero? or will the consequences for receiving negative fame (such as above) be ruled upon me? Say I had 2 positive then 1 negative?

It adds them together, so someone who has lots of positive has a little more room (which makes sense, someone with a good track record and looses it one day gets more leeway than someone who registers to loose it).

Is it neccessary for everyones fame level to be visible to everyone on their posts?

That's why it's a general graphic display rather than an absolute rating.. to get a full positive or negative display you'd have to get a LOT of feedback.

I dunno but on a forum I visit (tottally different type then this though) post counts and such are only visible if you look @ someones profile. Only name and join date is visible. I understand every forum is different, but this works out well because then it seems people are more viewed on their posts then the post count.

I agree, and so do most of the mods.. so you can probably look for changes in that area soon.

How exactly will pos/neg fame be given out?
Maybe sample posts you could direct me to?

I'm eager to see how this will work out.

We want to come up with a set of criteria and put them up before we start handing it out.

underGRADFlame
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I think fame isin't a bad name. My idea would be instead of number of dots or squares, have a named ranking system kinda like the first line centre/scoring winger/backup goalie thing. Like when you go to the good side you get Flame fame of , Gary Roberts/ Kipper/ Vernon / Iginla/ McDonald (Rank how ever) or if you go to the bad side you get a ranking of some great flame busts like Ladislav Kohn / Cale hulse / clarke wilm / Daniel Tkaczuk/ and worse of all rico fata or names of oilers and canucks. Don't know if its a good idea or not, but its my 0.02.

Burninator
11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of calling it 'skill'. I think skill makes more sense to new members moreso than 'fame'. 'Fame' gives the wrong impression. There a couple members on this forum that would fall into the category of 'famous' but their skill level doesn't reflect how well knowen they are.

How many people are capable of giving out 'fame' points? I noticed some people already have a bar of green squares are those the only people who are giving out 'fame' points?

photon
11-27-2006, 03:05 PM
The people who can give out points will be anonymous, to protect the innocent. Those that have a full par already are moderators; apparently we're worth listening to :D

EDIT: Yeah I think skill might be better..

kermitology
11-27-2006, 04:10 PM
What the hell.. you took away my post count? Now how am I supposed to lord that over people!

Dammit all to hell!

photon
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
mwahaha

Flashpoint
11-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I second (or third) the idea of Red for good, blue for bad.

Barnes
11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Skill is good, Skillz is better.

But I was thinking Plus/Minus.

Azure
11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I second (or third) the idea of Red for good, blue for bad.

And I fourth that idea as well. :w00t:

Superfraggle
11-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I still like Thingys better

Jiggy_12
11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
I think I should get a green bar of skill for coming up with the name! :)

Mccree
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I do like the idea and I know alot of things in this thread are done "in a joking way" but I hope we do not get alot of replys of people"asking for skill" after they post something.

Jiggy_12
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I do like the idea and I know alot of things in this thread are done "in a joking way" but I hope we do not get alot of replys of people"asking for skill" after they post something.

Yeah I'm definitely joking, I don't care either way.

I agree with you, that would get tiresome.

There should be some rule in place where if you request skill, you get deducted skill. That way we wont see it pop up in every thread.

SpitFire40
11-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Skill is wicked. Good choice in the name.

KevanGuy
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
There should be some rule in place where if you request skill, you get deducted skill. That way we wont see it pop up in every thread.

Yeah, we'll do that.

Superfraggle
11-27-2006, 08:14 PM

ditto with posts that suggest someone else's skill points should be docked

photon
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
There red and blue.. i changed my rep to be negative to see the blue

EDIT: I like it, kind of like hot and cold!

browna
11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Aesthetics to be sure, but now the red "old rep" boxes above (under the username) can been considered clashing/confusing with the potential postive red boxes below.

photon
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I think I liked Jordan's idea of changing the post count boxes under the username to hockey pucks, then that would remove any confusion.

Jiggy_12
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Aesthetics to be sure, but now the red "old rep" boxes above (under the username) can been considered clashing/confusing with the potential postive red boxes below.

Hmmm, maybe we could change the color of the top bar?

Black?

photon
11-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I think I liked Jordan's idea of changing the post count boxes under the username to hockey pucks, then that would remove any confusion.

Do you have that puck icon you made handy SF40?

photon
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Lol we should have these!

http://www.k12.nf.ca/stbons/newsevents/20022003/sciencefair/andrew%20puck.gifhttp://www.k12.nf.ca/stbons/newsevents/20022003/sciencefair/andrew%20puck.gifhttp://www.k12.nf.ca/stbons/newsevents/20022003/sciencefair/andrew%20puck.gifhttp://www.k12.nf.ca/stbons/newsevents/20022003/sciencefair/andrew%20puck.gif

Now that would be annoying

ken0042
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
There red and blue.. i changed my rep to be negative to see the blue

And just for the sake of comparison, here's the red.

Edit- I see it as green.

flame^thrower
11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Heeeey .. how come that Photon dude has such a great skill so fast? :D

Just kiddin!! Great idea! I think it will work out just fine!

photon
11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Edit- I see it as green.

You may have to hit refresh, it's probably cached the green ones now

SebC
11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I would like the layout better if the post count boxes could be moved to below skill and renamed "experience".

photon
11-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Another good idea!

JerzeeGirl
11-28-2006, 08:43 AM
What the hell.. you took away my post count? Now how am I supposed to lord that over people!

Dammit all to hell!

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one upset/sad to see my post count go the way of the Dodo.....I was looking forward to hitting #500....:whaa:

But aside from that, things are looking great Photon! :D

KevanGuy
11-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I would like the layout better if the post count boxes could be moved to below skill and renamed "experience".

Yeah, that is a good idea.

Azure
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Skill thing looks good guys...

:)

Temporary_User
11-28-2006, 02:59 PM
For everyone regarding post count: there still is a post count, it just isnt visible on everyone's posts anymore. If you click on someones name and then view their profile, it'll tell you their post count.

Azure
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Okay..it seems like this new system has been up and running for a few days. I've seen a few people with the blue thingys...not Photon...and I'm wondering if they're for real...or if someone is just playing around..

kermitology
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Is there a way for a user to find out which post they made that got them reputation one way or another?

Okay.. to answer my own question...you can click User CP and find the post and the comment that someone made about you.

photon
11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
There has been a bit of real rep given out, though the system isn't behaving at all like I tested; i.e. giving one rep seems to change the reputation by a huge amount rather than a single point. I'll look into it.

MrMastodonFarm
11-29-2006, 04:58 PM
There has been a bit of real rep given out, though the system isn't behaving at all like I tested; i.e. giving one rep seems to change the reputation by a huge amount rather than a single point. I'll look into it.
I was wondering why a bum like Kermitology has more rep then I do. Geez, all he does is write game stories. Try living in the real world bitch! :D

kermitology
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I was wondering why a bum like Kermitology has more rep then I do. Geez, all he does is write game stories. Try living in the real world bitch! :D

Get back in your hole you cranky bastid!

Azure
11-29-2006, 06:11 PM

Makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

photon
11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Alright, think I've got fixed, can't believe I missed that.

photon
11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
your middle number is closest

jamesteterenko
11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I'd recommend changing the colour of no feedback. Maybe try a light or medum grey box or white box with a black border.

For me, it is difficult to tell the difference between the current colours for no feedback and positive feedback. If I concentrate, I can figure it out. (Yes, I am colourblind, but this is not that uncommon of a condition.)

James.

kipperfan
11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I'd recommend changing the colour of no feedback. Maybe try a light or medum grey box or white box with a black border.

For me, it is difficult to tell the difference between the current colours for no feedback and positive feedback. If I concentrate, I can figure it out. (Yes, I am colourblind, but this is not that uncommon of a condition.)

James.

I agree James I find myself realy having to stare hard to figure it out as well...black would work very well IMO.

photon
11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
The current one is pretty close to black, maybe try hitting refresh in your browser to make sure you're seeing the latest one. (There was a lighter version in there earlier).

Azure
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Any chance that normal posters could nominate someone for an upgrade or downgrade in reputation?

Of course a valid reason would have to be supplied...either way.

photon
11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Definately, just use the "report this post" feature and nominate it and the mods will make sure the Skill team sees it.

MrMastodonFarm
11-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Definately, just use the "report this post" feature and nominate it and the mods will make sure the Skill team sees it.
Is there anyway you could add a "report a good post" button?

KevanGuy
11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
If you report it is 'bad' but tell us in your message you think it deserves rep that will work. We read the message from the reporter before the reported post.

Azure
11-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Sounds good! :)

jamesteterenko
12-01-2006, 08:57 AM
The current one is pretty close to black, maybe try hitting refresh in your browser to make sure you're seeing the latest one. (There was a lighter version in there earlier).

Actually, it does look like it is either a dark grey or black to me. It still does look quite similar to the red square for me.

James.

photon
12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
So would lightening up the square to a light grey help more? I can make a few different ones tonight.

jamesteterenko
12-01-2006, 12:37 PM
So would lightening up the square to a light grey help more? I can make a few different ones tonight.

I think a light grey would be good, although that would run the risk of being similar to the blue for negative feedback. If that is the case, maybe a slightly darker blue and a light grey would make them all very distinct.

As a side note, now that the skill and experience are beside each other, it is much easier for me to tell the difference.

James.

Temporary_User
12-03-2006, 11:54 PM
The skill has been implemented for a while now, and I see many people with blue and red squares.
I noticed that we can see what post made us receive positive or negative skill, but i was thinking it would be neat to be able to see why others received some aswell.
I dont know if it is just me being curious, but I see some potential for good coming out of it aswell.
It help people be aware of what will result in someone getting postive or negative skill.

photon
12-03-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't think that'd be that good an idea (yet one more thing for everyone to get worked up over), but we'll talk about it.

Barnes
12-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Are we to use the report post for positive and negative posts if we feel they are deserving of some skill?

photon
12-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Sure, it will bring the post to the attention of the moderators and they can give skill if they feel it warranted.

Barnes
12-04-2006, 04:53 PM
That's what I thought. This just made me question it;

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

SpitFire40
12-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Can you suggest a post made by someone else as skill worthy?

MrMastodonFarm
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Yup, when you report it just say "Thought it was a great post" or something like that.

Barnes
12-04-2006, 05:52 PM

That's what I asked. I hope nobody thinks I want to nominate my own posts.:D

SebC
12-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Perhaps my question is better placed here:

I've found my number of skill points received and my latest post having recieved a skill point, but how do I find the rest of them?

Five-hole
12-05-2006, 02:27 AM
Is "report a post" anonymous?

kermitology
12-05-2006, 08:33 AM

I've found my number of skill points received and my latest post having recieved a skill point, but how do I find the rest of them?

Well that might be the only post that you got skill points for. Photon said that the system gives out about 6 points per good post and takes away something like 6 or 7 for poor posts.

photon
12-05-2006, 09:01 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't show them all, however it will show the last 25 I think. And like kermitology said, the # of points given out for a single positive rating can vary between 5 and 7 depending on some math the server does.

photon
12-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Is "report a post" anonymous?

It isn't to Moderators, however we don't pass that information on to anyone.

REDVAN
01-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Is it sad that I notice many more negative skill points than positive ones? Should we start being more lenient for the good points?

SpitFire40
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Is it sad that I notice many more negative skill points than positive ones? Should we start being more lenient for the good points?

My opinion is of the opposite. Less jumping the gun on negs unless it's extremely blatant and disruptive. I like that you've gotta put some work in to get red's.

fredr123
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Cross-posted in a different (perhaps less appropriate thread) somewhat in response to REDVAN above:
The reputation system has been in effect for some time now. Can you (photon) provide us with any kind of statistics as to how many users are in the blue, how many in red, the most of each colour, etc.?

I've tried looking in the Member List but reputation isn't formatted the same way as in the rest of the forums. Just a rough guess but it looks like about 81 posters are in the red and about 49 are in the blue. And all out of about 5057 users, right? Also, of these 5057 users is there any way to tell how many of them have posted anything in the last few months?

The reason I'm asking is that it seemed at first that the blue rep points were much easier to come by and reds were harder to get. The brief review of the Member List seems to suggest otherwise. It would be interesting to know how many "active" posters have escaped the purgatory of gray rep...

Has there been any further work or discussion as to what use the Skill attribute will be put? For example, two blues and you're banned?

JiriHrdina
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
No firm guidelines have been established but we have suspended one user based on the number of negative skill ratings they received.

Hemi-Cuda
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
No firm guidelines have been established but we have suspended one user based on the number of negative skill ratings they received.

i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that their name ryhmes with Tamecrane

loob job
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Maybe i'm having a tough time with this system and need an explanation. I stand up for some fellow posters by saying not to argue with someone because they're always right, someone who constantly picks on people and i am at -7 points? How's that work, one bad post = -7?? Please someon explain for me.

photon
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
The actual # you have isn't that relevant.. a single negative skill can have a value of up to -7, so that just means you got a single negative skill.

It also shows the post you got a negative skill for and the comment from the skill giver.

loob job
01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
ok, thanks for the clarification, i appreciate it.

moon
01-14-2007, 08:40 PM
If you feel you got negative rep and didn't deserve it any way to deal with that?

Or is it a we are the deciders to bad if you don't like it?

Superfraggle
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
If you feel you got negative rep and didn't deserve it any way to deal with that?

Or is it a we are the deciders to bad if you don't like it?

From the Fame thread:

"MOD EDIT: If you have a problem with a skill report it and the mod and skill teams can evaluate it, venting it isn't a good idea."

alltherage
02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I moved my post.

vanisleflamesfan
02-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay I have a question about this skill stuff:

If you start a redundant thread, do you automatically recieve a negative skill? I don't mean an accidental fata of posting the same story at the same time as someone else, but take today for example, when there are multiple threads about the trade; when I look at those threads, the threadstarters all have negative skill. Or is it just a coincidence that these same people already had negative skill BEFORE their redundant threads?

Azure
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Bump....can we get an answer to the question above?

One other thing, does your blue thingy stay forever? I have noticed a few posters on here who have had the blue box since this program was implemented.

I guess the same question goes for the red thingy.

KevanGuy
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Umm, I think that was a coincidence. Negative rep isnt really given out for fatas.

Well, if you have blue and dont get any positive rep then yeah, I guess it would stay forever.

Hack&Lube
03-07-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a question, I am certain I saw a poster with two red boxes. Does that mean skill can actually increase your number of boxes? What is the general numeric value required for this?

ken0042
03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
It goes up geometrically. Your first positive skill gives you one red box. After about 4-6 more you get a second red box. It then takes about 15 more to get a 3rd.

Burninator
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
It doesn't really matter, but I am just curious, but roughly what are the increments for the Exp boxes?

photon
03-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Depends on how good it is.*

*Note, porn will still get you banned, but if it is good then you'll get a red skill first.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I just want to be clear, what type of post will get a bluey?

Post porn?

All I had to do was post a thread about not jinxing shutouts to get negative skill points. Pretty rediculous if you ask me.

JiriHrdina
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
All I had to do was post a thread about not jinxing shutouts to get negative skill points. Pretty rediculous if you ask me.

Whining about it likely isn't going to help.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Whining about it likely isn't going to help.

I don't really care about skill at this point, Jiri. It seems totally groundless and unbalanced in my opinion.

As for the "whining" comment, i'm not looking for help, and i'm not whining. I'm sharing my experience. To me it doesn't sound like alot of people understand or like the skill ratings.

It looks like more of a hierarchy implimentation, which deliberately takes credability away from people regardless of the quality of their opinions. If someone makes a bad post, fine. They will get razzed by other posters either way. (See my terrible Bettman thread (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=690603#post690603)). When that same person makes a good post later on, it maybe gets disregarded, a product of the blue box to the left of the post. The skill level is not something I agree with, but I put up with it because I like this place for other reasons.

I would like to see a poll about how people feel about the skill. If people like it, I'll shut up about it. If people don't, maybe it needs to be re-visited.

photon
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I would like to see a poll about how people feel about the skill. If people like it, I'll shut up about it. If people don't, maybe it needs to be re-visited.

Well there already was a poll about it long ago.. and the results of a poll aren't the measure of it anyway; this isn't a democracy.

Do positive posts get missed? Sure, we can't read every post. Do negative posts get missed? Sure, we can't read every post. If you see something deserving of a positive skill, please report it and let us know.

Overall the amount of positive skill given out is greater than the amount of negative skill given.

The goal isn't something for people to game up in the short term, it's something in the long term for habitually great posters to be recognized for their efforts, and habitually poor posters to be given feedback and eventually dealt with.

JiriHrdina
03-08-2007, 02:56 PM
As for the "whining" comment, i'm not looking for help, and i'm not whining. I'm sharing my experience. To me it doesn't sound like alot of people understand or like the skill ratings.

Based on what? The fact that people complaining about their blue posts in this thread don't like it?

It looks like more of a hierarchy implimentation, which deliberately takes credability away from people regardless of the quality of their opinions. If someone makes a bad post, fine. They will get razzed by other posters either way. (See my terrible Bettman thread (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=690603#post690603)). When that same person makes a good post later on, it maybe gets disregarded, a product of the blue box to the left of the post. The skill level is not something I agree with, but I put up with it because I like this place for other reasons.

There is no hierarchy implementation or conspiracy to hand out blue squares or red squares to certain posters. Why would there be? If anything if I see someone that has a blue square make a solid post I got out of my way to give them positive rating. And I know a lot of others that give out rep do the same.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Well there already was a poll about it long ago.. and the results of a poll aren't the measure of it anyway; this isn't a democracy.

This is a democracy in one sense: If people dont like it here, they leave. If people leave, this site is no longer making money. That isn't to say that i, the member, have ultimate power or that any other member does, as it's in the hands of the mods. The mods do whats in the best interest of the board, and that is to keep members happy. If I am one unhappy member among 50, so be it, and my opinion will be disregarded. I can live with that.

Based on what? The fact that people complaining about their blue posts in this thread don't like it?

There is no hierarchy implementation or conspiracy to hand out blue squares or red squares to certain posters. Why would there be? If anything if I see someone that has a blue square make a solid post I got out of my way to give them positive rating. And I know a lot of others that give out rep do the same.

I didn't say anything about a conspiracy, i said hierarchy implimentation. All that means is that the skill is a way to rate posters, giving some people higher esteem than others. Thats a hierarchy. Thats what the skill does.

I'm not saying "the world is out to get me! CP mods hate me!" I'm sure I'm a pain in the ass sometimes, but right now I'm just voicing my opinions on topics I care about.

As far as skill is concerned, I think the system is flawed. I've received multiple negative skill points for the same one post. I've received negative skill points even after fixing my posts (for language) and apologizing to people. I've received negative skill points for a thread about jinxing the shutout, which many people agreed with me, and posted similar sentiments. Sure, luck isn't as tangible as some things, but its for fun, and is sometimes even important to some people.

Don't take this stuff as unappreciation for the site and the jobs you guys do. Its tough moderating anything, much less and internet forum, and I really like this place! Its my first flames news source over anywhere else, and i like the community. Maybe thats why I hate my blue square so much, because i take it as public humiliation in a weird way. Nothing's perfect, and I understand that, but this skill system could be better for sure. Maybe the skill system should be something that posters vote on, or that is something anyone can give to anyone. I know I've recomended posetive skill before and its gone unnoticed.

rubecube
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
This is a democracy in one sense: If people dont like it here, they leave. If people leave, this site is no longer making money.

Just wanted to comment on this. This isn't an alternate source of income for Bingo. He provides this site to us, free of cost, and makes back the money he pays out to maintain this site through the advertisers. It would be much less work for him if people decided to leave. I know the mods enjoy the site as much as we do, but they put in a lot of hard work and thankless effort to keep the show running and they do it voluntarily, on their own time.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to comment on this. This isn't an alternate source of income for Bingo. He provides this site to us, free of cost, and makes back the money he pays out to maintain this site through the advertisers. It would be much less work for him if people decided to leave. I know the mods enjoy the site as much as we do, but they put in a lot of hard work and thankless effort to keep the show running and they do it voluntarily, on their own time.

Thats actually interesting, rube, I didnt know that. I thought they made a small profit for sure, but thats a good point. ;)

I think my point stands though, in that I dont think Bingo would continue if it was just a drain of cash.

rubecube
03-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Thats actually interesting, rube, I didnt know that. I thought they made a small profit for sure, but thats a good point. ;)

I think my point stands though, in that I dont think Bingo would continue if it was just a drain of cash.

Well fine, but that's kind of circular logic.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Well fine, but that's kind of circular logic.

How so?

photon
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
This is a democracy in one sense: If people dont like it here, they leave. If people leave, this site is no longer making money. That isn't to say that i, the member, have ultimate power or that any other member does, as it's in the hands of the mods. The mods do whats in the best interest of the board, and that is to keep members happy. If I am one unhappy member among 50, so be it, and my opinion will be disregarded. I can live with that.

That people can leave doesn't make it a democracy, it just means they can leave. And I don't think the driving purpose of the site is to make money, if it was we wouldn't make any attempt at all to influence the quality of posts.

As far as skill is concerned, I think the system is flawed. I've received multiple negative skill points for the same one post.
That's a flaw in the forum software and unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about it, and in one way that's even desired (a truely horrid post should draw more negative skill than a minorly bad post). EDIT: And that said, the number of posts that get multiple negatives, is quite low percentage wise.

I've received negative skill points even after fixing my posts (for language) and apologizing to people.
The display isn't real time you realize; someone can get the page, come back some time later and post a skill rating while in the interim you edited the post. It's impossible to do anything about that.

Maybe thats why I hate my blue square so much, because i take it as public humiliation in a weird way. Nothing's perfect, and I understand that, but this skill system could be better for sure.
The intent isn't public humiliation, the intent is to provide feedback on the kinds of things that we want and don't want to see. It's done by humans so its subjective and opinons will vary a bit between one skill giver and another.

And if you have a suggestion as to how the skill system could be better, make it.

Maybe the skill system should be something that posters vote on, or that is something anyone can give to anyone. I know I've recomended posetive skill before and its gone unnoticed.
Those were things that were discussed at great length publically on the forum, and they have positives and negatives. And the one time you recommended a positive skill it did not go unnoticed.

photon
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM

That's a pretty big assumption to base a whole premise on. Like I said, the goal of the site isn't to make money. The mods and admins don't get cheques each month, and if the advertising pays for the significant cost of hosting then great, and if there's some profit then I think that's awesome because then it might help Bingo better deal with people who make assumptions as to his motivations.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
That people can leave doesn't make it a democracy, it just means they can leave.

My point was that the forum wouldn't exist if everyone left, therefore the people here DO have some say in what goes on.

The display isn't real time you realize; someone can get the page, come back some time later and post a skill rating while in the interim you edited the post. It's impossible to do anything about that.

There's no way to remove skill or negative skill 5 seconds after it's given?

The intent isn't public humiliation, the intent is to provide feedback on the kinds of things that we want and don't want to see. It's done by humans so its subjective and opinons will vary a bit between one skill giver and another.

If the intent isn't public humiliation, then why is it a publicly visible reprimandation?

Those were things that were discussed at great length publically on the forum, and they have positives and negatives. And the one time you recommended a positive skill it did not go unnoticed.

If it didnt go unnoticed, it went unactivated. His skill was grey, and I don't remember him getting a red square out of it... unless my reasoning was simply not good enough for him to get it, or he got the skill days after i recommended it.

That's a pretty big assumption to base a whole premise on. Like I said, the goal of the site isn't to make money. The mods and admins don't get cheques each month, and if the advertising pays for the significant cost of hosting then great, and if there's some profit then I think that's awesome because then it might help Bingo better deal with people who make assumptions as to his motivations.

I'm trying to have a real conversation here without getting adversarial about it.

I was assuming that he makes money off the site because that is generally the purpose for having sites like this.

I've already addressed that:

Thats actually interesting, rube, I didnt know that. I thought they made a small profit for sure, but thats a good point.

photon
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
My point was that the forum wouldn't exist if everyone left, therefore the people here DO have some say in what goes on.

It would still exist, it just wouldn't be very interesting. I never said people didn't have any say at all, I said it wasn't a democracy in response to you calling for a vote. Of course we consider all input, just because it's not acted upon does not mean it's not considered.

There's no way to remove skill or negative skill 5 seconds after it's given?
Of course there's a way, but that would be a manual process. Someone isn't going to go over all the skill given out all day long monitoring it.

If the intent isn't public humiliation, then why is it a publicly visible reprimandation?
The comment isn't public, just the rough showing of the sum total. If it was private there would be no reason to pay attention to it at all, no behaviour would change. This was all discussed at length.

If it didnt go unnoticed, it went unactivated. His skill was grey, and I don't remember him getting a red square out of it... unless my reasoning was simply not good enough for him to get it, or he got the skill days after i recommended it.
Both of which are equally possible, but you choose to complain about it first before considering the alternatives...

I'm trying to have a real conversation here without getting adversarial about it.

I was assuming that he makes money off the site because that is generally the purpose for having sites like this.

I've already addressed that:
Having a discussion is fine.. making comments and judgments about someone else's actions based on your own assumptions is wrong. You have no idea what kinds of things Bingo has gone through to provide this free service to you. Gratitude usually involves not making broad generalizations, at least IMO.

Calling something ridiculous at the outset pretty much sets an adversarial tone.

You've made your point about the skill system. I hope I've helped clarify a few things for you.

alltherage
03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
but you choose to complain about it first before considering the alternatives...

I didn't get any kind of feedback on it whatsoever, and it didnt seem to change, so whats the point of recommending if its falling on deaf ears?

Having a discussion is fine.. making comments and judgments about someone else's actions based on your own assumptions is wrong. You have no idea what kinds of things Bingo has gone through to provide this free service to you. Gratitude usually involves not making broad generalizations, at least IMO.

That is true. I am grateful for this venue for the puck heads and myself.

Calling something ridiculous at the outset pretty much sets an adversarial tone.

Opinions are such because they belong to one person. I said it was rediculous "if you ask me".
_______

All that aside, Photon, I really appreciate you taking the time to talk about all this with me. I know Its really hard to tell what the demeanor of someone is on the net, I hope you realize that I'm not trying to get under anyones skin or anything, and i have vast gratitude for everything on this board.

Sometimes gratitude is hard to find in constructive criticism. I hope you and the mods have found it in mine, because if I didn't care about the forum I definitely wouldn't make suggestions on how to improve it.

I appreciate your attention, and your input really has clarified things for me, and hopefully others.

photon
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I didn't get any kind of feedback on it whatsoever, and it didnt seem to change, so whats the point of recommending its falling on deaf ears?

That's the assumption that I'm trying to say shouldn't be made.. just because you don't visibly see something change doesn't mean something else didn't happen. Jumping from "I reported it but I didn't see an visible change" to "it fell on deaf ears" is a leap that isn't reasonable; and it insults the people doing the work as well.

No system is perfect and we still discuss and evaluate the system, as well as the kinds of things getting skill, sometimes daily.

FlamesAddiction
03-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I dunno, but I am falling out of love with the skill system. I feel like I was treated a little unfairly and received negative skill for something pretty innocent, in fact, I see people with positive skill get away with much worse.

I'm not going to dwell on it, but I think there is something fishy about it.

JiriHrdina
03-13-2007, 09:40 PM
I dunno, but I am falling out of love with the skill system. I feel like I was treated a little unfairly and received negative skill for something pretty innocent, in fact, I see people with positive skill get away with much worse.

I'm not going to dwell on it, but I think there is something fishy about it.

Fishy how?

FlamesAddiction
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Fishy how?

Just fishiy in the way that there doesn't seem to be any consistency. It also seems like a popularity vote rather than an actual system of judging quality of posts and contributions.

JiriHrdina
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Just fishiy in the way that there doesn't seem to be any consistency. It also seems like a popularity vote rather than an actual system of judging quality of posts and contributions.

Man. This ain't high school. Do you think we even care enough to make it some sort of popularity contest? There is no conspiracy. There is no agenda.

FlamesAddiction
03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm not saying there is an agenda, but there are certain posters that seem to get away with anything while others get penalized for anything, and others who are solid contribitors get nothing.

I'm just saying, a little bit of consistency would be nice.

JiriHrdina
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Consistency how? Give me some examples.

It's easy to complain about a system but we can't improve unless we get into specifics here.

KevanGuy
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Keep in mind everyone is free to report posts for either positive or negative skill. It is a system that will work with everyone's help.

FlamesAddiction
03-13-2007, 10:35 PM

It's easy to complain about a system but we can't improve unless we get into specifics here.

I'll PM you. I feel more comfortable airing it that way.

photon
03-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Plus keep in mind it's impossible for everyone to read every post; just because a skill worthy post doesn't get skill doesn't mean that's intentional, it could just mean it wasn't noticed.

It's also possible that skill was given and the person's skill wasn't near a threshold to be changed (ie they could be red, be given a blue, and still be red).

Bobblehead
03-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I like the skill. The fact that people are concerned about Skill means it must be having an effect.

The only thing I would mention is that there are some valuable posters who rarely write more than a few sentences. They often have some good insights in those posts, but not enough to rate skill.

I'm not sure how to correct that, but it just seems like there are a group of posters who don't do enough in a single post to earn skill, but if their overall contribution is measured then they definitely deserve it.

I think the system is working as it was designed, but this one type of CPer can be overlooked in this system.

Perhaps if some of the Skill Designators would, once a week or every couple weeks, nominate some of these "beneficial but not prolific" members for skill points, then the recognitions would better reflect contribution.

SpitFire40
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I still think that negatives are given out too liberally compared to positive skill points.

CaramonLS
03-21-2007, 11:01 AM

I can think of one, how about MainFlame having the most skill of any poster on this board (back when he was a member of this board, not sure what happened to him).

I'm not sure if it was actually a joke?

JiriHrdina
03-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I can think of one, how about MainFlame having the most skill of any poster on this board (back when he was a member of this board, not sure what happened to him).

I'm not sure if it was actually a joke?

Eh?

MainFlame had the most negative skill of anyone. Blue=bad. Unless you are suggesting he was deserving of positive skill?

And as far as I know he is still a member here. Just doesn't seem to be around as much.

ken0042
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I think you are missing the point, Caramon. If anything, the poster you mention had a very low skill level, as was shown by the number of blue squares by his name.

Keep in mind blue=bad and red=good. The more blue, the more negative skill that person has received. A person with a grey skill level means they are held in much higher regard than somebody with 2 (or more) blue squares.

CaramonLS
03-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I think you are missing the point, Caramon. If anything, the poster you mention had a very low skill level, as was shown by the number of blue squares by his name.

Keep in mind blue=bad and red=good. The more blue, the more negative skill that person has received. A person with a grey skill level means they are held in much higher regard than somebody with 2 (or more) blue squares.

I thought it was the opposite based on the FAQ. It mentioned red=bad, green =good, but since there was no green, I just assumed it was blue?

JiriHrdina
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I thought it was the opposite based on the FAQ. It mentioned red=bad, green =good, but since there was no green, I just assumed it was blue?

Hmmm FAQs were wrong it would seem. Fixed. Strange.

ken0042
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Ah. Green and red were the original plan, then we decided to go with Oilers/Flames colours.

Makes sense now.

fanforever1986
03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
The reputation vs. skill thing baffles me. Are they connected?

It's also slightly annoying that you can't tell who has given you a reputation point, or taken one away...or however the system works. There's times where the 'rep giver' has just been plain wrong in the way they've interpreted a post. i have -27 and could care less, so take it for what its worth. I'm still taking the time to let mods know there could be a bit of an issue.

Shawnski
03-21-2007, 11:05 PM
The reputation vs. skill thing baffles me. Are they connected?

It's also slightly annoying that you can't tell who has given you a reputation point, or taken one away...or however the system works. There's times where the 'rep giver' has just been plain wrong in the way they've interpreted a post. i have -27 and could care less, so take it for what its worth. I'm still taking the time to let mods know there could be a bit of an issue.

Not to step on any Mod's toes, but to answer a couple of your questions, first, rep = skill... there is no difference. Those little boxes by your "Skill" indicator are your rep.

As indicated previously, blue is bad, red is good. If you want to see where you are on the bad side (considering the numerous blues you have) check here... (listed in order of worst rep/skill at #1 )

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/memberlist.php?&order=asc&sort=reputation&pp=30&page=1

By that indication, you are right down there with MF...

Now, as a NON point giver/taker, I find it funny that you want to know who is giving/taking away skill points. Does it matter? I think those folks have done a pretty darn good job when I look at the overall impact since this has started. Good bet that the bulk of the forum viewers are seeing your posts for what they appear to be. To you this should read that the likelyhood that people find your posts non-contributing should be pretty high.

Perhaps you should word your posts better if you think they are being misunderstood and are in fact contributing to this site in a positive manner.

My 1/10 of a cent.. after taxes.

KevanGuy
03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
i have -27 and could care less, so take it for what its worth.

Maybe you should start caring. As we have stated in these threads, we are reviewing the status of posters with high amounts of negative skill. We spent alot of time and effort in developing the skill system and we are using it as a tool to improve the quality of the board.

rubecube
03-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Maybe you should start caring. As we have stated in these threads, we are reviewing the status of posters with high amounts of negative skill. We spent alot of time and effort in developing the skill system and we are using it as a tool to improve the quality of the board.

That was actually one of my questions. What kind of consequences do high negative skill points carry, or is this still being worked out?

photon
03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Eventually we'd just evaluate if we wanted the person to remain a member of the site or not, a subjective call by the moderation team. That's the extreme end, after the person would have been given opportunities to change their ways.

Antithesis
03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
I am wondering if it is possible to see what posts received skill either positive or negative, either by clicking on the squares for people or as some kind of a list ... "Today's Skill-Rated Posts" or something. This way, the postings could be recognized either way. It could also perhaps be another layer of accountability for those handing out the skill points, if everyone was able to see the posts that got negatives or positives. Please note this is not me saying that the system is faulty or broken!

photon
03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, something like that would be kind of nice, unfortunately it's not really built into the software that I'm aware of :(

A meta-moderation system where the skill givers can review each others' skill allotments would be cool as well, but again without writing custom code to do it (and having to potentially adjust that code with every revision of forum software)...

kipperfan
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I have held back saying anything about this "skill system" for a few months as I wanted to see how everything shook out, and attempt to understand what drives the system. Frankly I dont really care that much, although I do care a little, thus me taking to time to write this. I think it has been mentioned earlier by another poster that it seems some of the skill givers(whomever they may be) seem to be showing some favouritism.

Now the last thing I want is to sound like a whiny bugger who is upset he has a blue square, its not about that. But....the post I recieved negative skill for was so amazingly trivial its kinda funny. I can understand the arguement that my post didnt add anything to the board, and if that was the going standard for a blue square then I would have to quams with the blue. In fact why not just put it out there.....I highlighted a portion of someone's post(someone I wasnt having an arguement with or anything of the sort) and used a laughing smiley as the poster had said "tossing so and so's salad". And sure enough I got a blue. The problem I have with this lies in the fact that this was in a game thread, I could go through any GT this year and find 30 posts in everyone that are the exact same lame attempts at lightening the mood...and sure I dont know for sure those posters never recieved skill, but I can see their skill stays grey after the post....it doesnt take a brain surgeon to put two and two together. The thing that is very curoius about the entire incident is that before this post which I got negative skill I was engaged in a long argument with a few posters in the same thread, doing nothing that deserved blue skill, but definatley pissing some people off with my oppinions. Is it a coincidence that I recieved negative skill right afterwards for a post that really did not harm the board....maybe....but I find that a bit hard to believe.

All of that happened a month or two ago and I didnt want to publicly aire a grievence, I did PM a mod but never heard back. But the biggest problem I have lies in the fact that in these past months I have made(in my oppinion) many well thought out and solid posts and have recieved no positive skill, IMO these posts added far more to the board then my one lame attempt at humour in a crowded game thread took away. I may be out on a limb here but it seems to me that those posters(such as myself) that tend to disagree with another group of longtime posters on a consistant basis, have to do a heck of alot more to get into the red, and a heck of alot less to get into the blue.

The reason I posted this now is after reading Antithesis post, I got to thinking there should be some kind of accountability for the skill givers. I understand they have been identitified as long time trusted posters by the board admins, but that doesnt mean they arent human, and it doesnt mean they are always objective. I can think of a few other posters(no need to name names) off the top of my head that are in the blue, despite the fact they are always providing knowledgable level headed insight, and I dont think that is very fair and I am having a hard time seeing this "skill system" as an accurate evaluation of the posters on this board.

My 2 cents.

fanforever1986
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Not to step on any Mod's toes, but to answer a couple of your questions, first, rep = skill... there is no difference. Those little boxes by your "Skill" indicator are your rep.

As indicated previously, blue is bad, red is good. If you want to see where you are on the bad side (considering the numerous blues you have) check here... (listed in order of worst rep/skill at #1 )

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/memberlist.php?&order=asc&sort=reputation&pp=30&page=1

By that indication, you are right down there with MF...

Now, as a NON point giver/taker, I find it funny that you want to know who is giving/taking away skill points. Does it matter? I think those folks have done a pretty darn good job when I look at the overall impact since this has started. Good bet that the bulk of the forum viewers are seeing your posts for what they appear to be. To you this should read that the likelyhood that people find your posts non-contributing should be pretty high.

Perhaps you should word your posts better if you think they are being misunderstood and are in fact contributing to this site in a positive manner.

My 1/10 of a cent.. after taxes.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, but I don't think it's your place.

To the mods, I disagree with the idea that it shouldn't matter who is giving you a skill point, or taking one away. If a member is given the responsibility of grading other posters, then they should also be accountable for that grade, and be able to justify it in a statement more detailed than "useless post"...or "Do not attack other members" (my personal favorite comment, given the post was not attacking anyone).

rubecube
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I have held back saying anything about this "skill system" for a few months as I wanted to see how everything shook out, and attempt to understand what drives the system. Frankly I dont really care that much, although I do care a little, thus me taking to time to write this. I think it has been mentioned earlier by another poster that it seems some of the skill givers(whomever they may be) seem to be showing some favouritism.

I don't agree with the favoritism part, but I do believe the system is flawed. Maybe this due to not having enough people to give out skill. I received a blue, and rightly so, for a bad post but I'm pretty sure I've made up for it by now with some quality posts. None of my posts are earth-shattering so they'll probably never get noticed, and I'm not the type of person to nominate my own posts for skill points. It just seems like it's a lot easier to get negative points because people are looking for bad posts more than they're looking for good posts.

There are a lot of posters here who do contribute and stimulate further quality discussion in threads, yet they get no credit. I've been trying to go out of my way to flag posts for the mods that I think deserve some points but I'm not totally sure if this helps the process.

JiriHrdina
03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
It just seems like it's a lot easier to get negative points because people are looking for bad posts more than they're looking for good posts.

The last time Photon ran the stats there was actually more positive points given out than negative.

rubecube
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
The last time Photon ran the stats there was actually more positive points given out than negative.

Okay, then I guess to address the issue of favoritism (which I don't really believe) it'd be nice to know how many were given to the same people.

Superfraggle
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, but I don't think it's your place.

To the mods, I disagree with the idea that it shouldn't matter who is giving you a skill point, or taking one away. If a member is given the responsibility of grading other posters, then they should also be accountable for that grade, and be able to justify it in a statement more detailed than "useless post"...or "Do not attack other members" (my personal favorite comment, given the post was not attacking anyone).

I would assume that they ARE accountable... when you report a skill given to dispute it, they would have to be accountable to whoever reviews the issue. Not making them accountable to you beyond the reason given for giving/taking skill protects them personally from the direct ire of those who feel slighted. I would also assume that, if they consistently give out judgements that the reviewers find lacking, they will be ousted. These are just assumptions, to be sure, but I think they are pretty fair ones.

photon
03-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Shawnski's post was a good one.

The skill givers are accountable, to the moderation team. And yes they are human and subject to mistakes, just like anyone else, but it's not like a ban or anything is being given out, it's just a feedback on a post.

But I think that's a fair comment; even myself I find I don't give enough skill for the regular run of the mill good solid post. It's easy to give skill to the really outstanding good ones, and to the really poor ones. That's probably an area where there could be more done.

Hemi-Cuda
03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
what i have a problem with is the negative skill points being used for those posts that a single person may disagree with, or are in a grey area. i just noticed that i was knocked for posting my personal opinion on how this team has fared this season in the 70 game comparison thread. i didn't attack anyone personally, nor did i just give a two or three word reply without backing up my opinion. i did however post my honest feelings, which may have come across as somewhat callous. so was that the problem? if i'm going to say something negative about this team do i have to walk on egg shells for fear of hurting someone's feelings?

my point is that i think that it's too easy to earn negative skill when you're being critical of the Flames, whereas all those who simply post how great the Flames are and how annoyed they get when others question that are given a free pass. having two points of view is what makes for good discussion, and i think it'd be pretty boring around here if everything was sunshine and happiness all the time

fanforever1986
03-27-2007, 01:25 AM
what i have a problem with is the negative skill points being used for those posts that a single person may disagree with, or are in a grey area. i just noticed that i was knocked for posting my personal opinion on how this team has fared this season in the 70 game comparison thread. i didn't attack anyone personally, nor did i just give a two or three word reply without backing up my opinion. i did however post my honest feelings, which may have come across as somewhat callous. so was that the problem? if i'm going to say something negative about this team do i have to walk on egg shells for fear of hurting someone's feelings?

my point is that i think that it's too easy to earn negative skill when you're being critical of the Flames, whereas all those who simply post how great the Flames are and how annoyed they get when others question that are given a free pass. having two points of view is what makes for good discussion, and i think it'd be pretty boring around here if everything was sunshine and happiness all the time

I've gotten negative skill with the comment saying something like "thats a glass half empty perspective''.

photon
03-27-2007, 09:03 AM
You know, I don't mind the feedback on the skill system. It can help the skill givers improve.

But ff1986 you continually misrepresent the skill you are given to make it appear it wasn't justified. For example, you never received a skill that said "thats a glass half empty perspective".

You've made your point, I'm going to ask you to stop posting on this thread. If you have any more questions, PM them to me directly.

Hack&Lube
03-28-2007, 03:40 AM

Now the last thing I want is to sound like a whiny bugger who is upset he has a blue square, its not about that. But....the post I recieved negative skill for was so amazingly trivial its kinda funny. I can understand the arguement that my post didnt add anything to the board, and if that was the going standard for a blue square then I would have to quams with the blue. In fact why not just put it out there.....I highlighted a portion of someone's post(someone I wasnt having an arguement with or anything of the sort) and used a laughing smiley as the poster had said "tossing so and so's salad". And sure enough I got a blue. The problem I have with this lies in the fact that this was in a game thread, I could go through any GT this year and find 30 posts in everyone that are the exact same lame attempts at lightening the mood...and sure I dont know for sure those posters never recieved skill, but I can see their skill stays grey after the post....it doesnt take a brain surgeon to put two and two together. The thing that is very curoius about the entire incident is that before this post which I got negative skill I was engaged in a long argument with a few posters in the same thread, doing nothing that deserved blue skill, but definatley pissing some people off with my oppinions. Is it a coincidence that I recieved negative skill right afterwards for a post that really did not harm the board....maybe....but I find that a bit hard to believe.

All of that happened a month or two ago and I didnt want to publicly aire a grievence, I did PM a mod but never heard back. But the biggest problem I have lies in the fact that in these past months I have made(in my oppinion) many well thought out and solid posts and have recieved no positive skill, IMO these posts added far more to the board then my one lame attempt at humour in a crowded game thread took away. I may be out on a limb here but it seems to me that those posters(such as myself) that tend to disagree with another group of longtime posters on a consistant basis, have to do a heck of alot more to get into the red, and a heck of alot less to get into the blue.

The reason I posted this now is after reading Antithesis post, I got to thinking there should be some kind of accountability for the skill givers. I understand they have been identitified as long time trusted posters by the board admins, but that doesnt mean they arent human, and it doesnt mean they are always objective. I can think of a few other posters(no need to name names) off the top of my head that are in the blue, despite the fact they are always providing knowledgable level headed insight, and I dont think that is very fair and I am having a hard time seeing this "skill system" as an accurate evaluation of the posters on this board.

My 2 cents.

I have a decent skill level and I have had the same seemingly arbitrary treatment. Once, long ago, I posted a sarcastic, joking response to a post regarding some spelling issues. It might have been in a game thread as well, with the same cryptic:

"doesn't really add anything" and then -7 or -9 in rep.

If anything, gamethreads should be exempt from such requirements. Gamethreads are a real-time jungle of emotion and quick posts in response to game action or feelings and frustration. You cannot apply the same standard there. Gamethreads are even locked right after each game is done so there is little issue with problem posts spilling over into a innapropriate discussions or arguments. They should be exempt from anything but the most severe issues being moderated.

Also, there needs to be some leeway for sarcasm/humour, and the value of a short succinct post or reply. Sometimes it's better to say little, add an emoticon, etc. than a long post that "adds something" or is simply judged on the basis of the percieved qualitative or quantitative aspects of a post. You need those things to lighten the mood, especially if the team is doing badly. I feel that this might be lacking in the consideration of the current system. In my opinion, a witty jab at somebody (if intelligent, tasteful, and hilarious) or quirky character (Where is Polly Peena these days? :) ) and flair do "add" to the board. This also includes calling out somebody or teasing them for claims or guarantees they made in the past, etc. In my view, spelling habits should fall under this as well.

I understand the feeling that many people seem to be expressing - that something they posted, considered by the poster to be relatively casual and innocent - is in effect sort of criminalized without prior warning or explanation. It's just not a good feeling having that stigma or being told you did something wrong and not understanding the aegis or justification behind it. If you've ever recieved a negative feedback on ebay, you know it hurts. There needs to perhaps be wider discretion on casual posts or conversations that are going on...or relatively innocent comments, etc. Focus the negative skill more on the severe problems such poor behavior but don't subtract from a post just because of a lack of percieved qualitative value or value-adding substance. What's happening might impose a chilling effect, in which the sometimes seemingly arbitrary treatment of posts leads to people choosing not to post at all because they don't know what's permissible or not or have no idea how something might be interpreted.

But whatever, it's all posts on an internet message board. Chill out people. :)

kipperfan
03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a decent skill level and I have had the same seemingly arbitrary treatment. Once, long ago, I posted a sarcastic, joking response to a post regarding some spelling issues. It might have been in a game thread as well, with the same cryptic:

"doesn't really add anything" and then -7 or -9 in rep.

If anything, gamethreads should be exempt from such requirements. Gamethreads are a real-time jungle of emotion and quick posts in response to game action or feelings and frustration. You cannot apply the same standard there. Gamethreads are even locked right after each game is done so there is little issue with problem posts spilling over into a innapropriate discussions or arguments. They should be exempt from anything but the most severe issues being moderated.

Also, there needs to be some leeway for sarcasm/humour, and the value of a short succinct post or reply. Sometimes it's better to say little, add an emoticon, etc. than a long post that "adds something" or is simply judged on the basis of the percieved qualitative or quantitative aspects of a post. You need those things to lighten the mood, especially if the team is doing badly. I feel that this might be lacking in the consideration of the current system. In my opinion, a witty jab at somebody (if intelligent, tasteful, and hilarious) or quirky character (Where is Polly Peena these days? :) ) and flair do "add" to the board. This also includes calling out somebody or teasing them for claims or guarantees they made in the past, etc. In my view, spelling habits should fall under this as well.

I understand the feeling that many people seem to be expressing - that something they posted, considered by the poster to be relatively casual and innocent - is in effect sort of criminalized without prior warning or explanation. It's just not a good feeling having that stigma or being told you did something wrong and not understanding the aegis or justification behind it. If you've ever recieved a negative feedback on ebay, you know it hurts. There needs to perhaps be wider discretion on casual posts or conversations that are going on...or relatively innocent comments, etc. Focus the negative skill more on the severe problems such poor behavior but don't subtract from a post just because of a lack of percieved qualitative value or value-adding substance. What's happening might impose a chilling effect, in which the sometimes seemingly arbitrary treatment of posts leads to people choosing not to post at all because they don't know what's permissible or not or have no idea how something might be interpreted.

But whatever, it's all posts on an internet message board. Chill out people. :)
Very good post...that should get you more skill! ;)

Honestly though.....thats very much how I feel, you just said it 20 X better then I could have.

Azure
03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I agree with both of you guys.

I received my negative skill point for one bad comment...I think it was in the game thread, not sure though.

The reason given was the same as the reason given to you guys..'not adding anything to the discussion.'

Superfraggle
03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
I agree with both of you guys.

I received my negative skill point for one bad comment...I think it was in the game thread, not sure though.

The reason given was the same as the reason given to you guys..'not adding anything to the discussion.'

Sounds like that might be something they're targeting, then. Makes sense to me. Whatever your perception of what a game thread "should be", I stay away from them for the simple reason that they've gotten too friggin' long. It's tough to keep up with the board AND the play at the same time. Today's game thread had 427 posts! 420 posts from puck drop to end over a 60 minute game...that's an ridiculous 7 posts/minute of game time.

Cutting down on posts that don't add to the discussion would really help the game threads out, IMO. What's the use of making posts like that other than to waste my time as I search for the interesting bits?

RedHot25
03-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Cutting down on posts that don't add to the discussion would really help the game threads out, IMO. What's the use of making posts like that other than to waste my time as I search for the interesting bits?

Good post, Superfraggle. Game threads could be a great source of info for me (no tv other than the odd CBC game), as all I can do is listen online. And even then with most flames games starting out here say around 10 or 11 at night, I don't really ever get to listen to a game all the way through. Its frustrating, because sometimes it just seems that posts are in there...because...well they can be. Just post to post type of thing.

fanforever1986
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
If you live in an area where there simply are no other fans to get together and watch the game with, which I've noticed is a good portion of us posters that go into the game thread during game time, the game thread provides somewhere to make observations, and at times vent. The post game thread is more of an analytical assesment, compared to the game thread...obviously. So to say that the game threads are too long may be valid from a certain point of view, but not one that actively takes part in the discussion during game time. If you want up to the second text play by play, yahoo, ESPN and even NHL all them on their websites.

Superfraggle
03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
If you live in an area where there simply are no other fans to get together and watch the game with, which I've noticed is a good portion of us posters that go into the game thread during game time, the game thread provides somewhere to make observations, and at times vent. The post game thread is more of an analytical assesment, compared to the game thread...obviously. So to say that the game threads are too long may be valid from a certain point of view, but not one that actively takes part in the discussion during game time. If you want up to the second text play by play, yahoo, ESPN and even NHL all them on their websites.

There is a chat room, if that's what you want to do. the text play-by-play on those sites shows one point of view...the fan reaction on the board shows another

RedHot25
03-31-2007, 08:38 AM
There is a chat room, if that's what you want to do. the text play-by-play on those sites shows one point of view...the fan reaction on the board shows another

Yah, I Agree.

I'm not looking for no commentary, the odd comment is fine, etc. Its just that there are so very manny. When someone scores I find it takes a long long time to find out what actually happened. E.g the opposition scores and its "#$#@~" and "ugh <insert random flames player here>" "they suck", etc. I like a game thread as opposed to the yahoo/espn whatever text feeds b/c it provides like superfraggle said a more fan view of the game. And besides, they don't tell you that "Huselius - what a dangle! I think Smith is still looking for where he went...he tried the hit but missed...and Roloson was lucky to just get a piece of that" ....is A LOT different than "Huselius, shot on goal".

Superfraggle
03-31-2007, 04:59 PM
The game thread serves other purposes than providing you guys with game analysis. It is also a comraderie thing for those watching the game alone.

Sure, but I'm assuming these guys are getting docked points for things that don't add anything. 6 posts in a row that say "boo", "*$%&*", "this sucks", etc. don't seem to me to be worthwhile, comraderie or now. Not everything has to add to the analysis, IMO, but there should at least be something there. "*&$%*" really just doesn't do it for me.

RedHot25
04-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Yah, fair enough Fotze. I agree with that, and am fine....but I guess my point is more in line with Superfraggle's last one.

BCReefer
04-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I received my blue for calling someone a name - which is correct. I am trying hard to change it but it is hard to post long comments since I am usually fighting someone regarding Vancouver and the fans. HHHHMMMM I think I am on to something here???

Less fighting and more adding to the forum. Keep up the good work.

Azure
04-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Good post, Superfraggle. Game threads could be a great source of info for me (no tv other than the odd CBC game), as all I can do is listen online. And even then with most flames games starting out here say around 10 or 11 at night, I don't really ever get to listen to a game all the way through. Its frustrating, because sometimes it just seems that posts are in there...because...well they can be. Just post to post type of thing.

The thing of it is, before I got the negative point, I was trying to keep people updated on the game, as I could watch most of the games.

Since then, I rarely get as much involved.

Bobblehead
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Is there any way to "age" the skill?

By that I mean could skill points (positive or negative) older than 4 months (or some set length) be dropped?

Kind of like when you lose points for a speeding ticket - 3 years later, you get them back.

That way people who "slip up" aren't branded for life.

Flames09
04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a minus 3 reputation and I'm sure it came from last nights GDT but I'm sorry I have to agree people who post on here alot more and have been posting longer are recognized more with higher skill levels. <-- Thats the main reason why I wont try very hard to make long/excellent essay like posts.

Dion
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM

By that I mean could skill points (positive or negative) older than 4 months (or some set length) be dropped?

Kind of like when you lose points for a speeding ticket - 3 years later, you get them back.

I thik there's some merit in what Bobblehead has to say.

photon
04-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Yeah, something like that would be great, but it's another thing that's not in the forum software unfortunately.

I have a minus 3 reputation and I'm sure it came from last nights GDT but I'm sorry I have to agree people who post on here alot more and have been posting longer are recognized more with higher skill levels.

Well that only makes sense, since that's the whole goal of the skill system is to recognize posters which make posts that contribute. If someone only posts once a month they're not going to get much skill, and I don't think that's a problem.

We have been discussing it though and are contemplating different options on changes to improve it.

Flames09
04-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Yeah, something like that would be great, but it's another thing that's not in the forum software unfortunately.

Well that only makes sense, since that's the whole goal of the skill system is to recognize posters which make posts that contribute. If someone only posts once a month they're not going to get much skill, and I don't think that's a problem.

We have been discussing it though and are contemplating different options on changes to improve it.

This is sad I dont even know who the mods on this board are but how can I find out what got me a -3?? and a minus 3 is all it takes to get a blue box?? or is it just when you the negatives?

ken0042
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
how can I find out what got me a -3?? and a minus 3 is all it takes to get a blue box?? or is it just when you the negatives?

Did you read the first post in this thread?

Flames09
04-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Did you read the first post in this thread?

Yes but I can't find anything in control panel, no need to be rude.

nvm I found it.

ken0042
04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Who's being rude? You asked a question, I pointed to you where the info was. If that info wasn't clear enough, then mention that.

Right in the middle of the page, after you click on "User CP" there is a part that reads "Latest Reputation Received."

Flames09
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Who's being rude? You asked a question, I pointed to you where the info was. If that info wasn't clear enough, then mention that.

Right in the middle of the page, after you click on "User CP" there is a part that reads "Latest Reputation Received."

Yes sorry just the fact you asked the question instead of saying something like checkout the first post it has more information vs. did you read the first post, w/e maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

Azure
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I agree with Bobblehead....after a while it should be dropped.

Thing is, the majority of us will never post anything significant enough to gain positive rep points. No long posts, no essay's...etc, etc....so if we slip up once, we're stuck with the damn blue point!

:D

Superfraggle
04-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree with Bobblehead....after a while it should be dropped.

Thing is, the majority of us will never post anything significant enough to gain positive rep points. No long posts, no essay's...etc, etc....so if we slip up once, we're stuck with the damn blue point!

Not with an attitude like that! :p

Azure
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Not with an attitude like that! :p

lol....this is quite ironic.

Guys, little secret here, it doesn't take long essays, fabulous posts showcasing your intelligence, etc, etc to gain positive rep points.

Now, a quick question. Is there any way for the rep points people to see if a positive/negative point has already been given for a certain post?

I just checked my User CP as my blue thingy got taken away...and I noticed that I received 2 negative rep points for the exact same post. Not that I didn't deserve it or anything.

photon
04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately not, the chance exists that a post will receive two negative feedbacks.

Azure
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Aight, thanks.

Flames09
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
MOD EDIT: Removed, if you have a problem with a specific skill rating, take it up with the moderators.

MagicallyAdept
04-18-2007, 09:07 AM
I think more skill should be given out for humour. Sometimes a great one-liner or a joke can really help you out during a tough day and they need just as much skill as sensible types who write nice, informative posts.

photon
04-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Good suggestion! And for those awesome photoshops!

Sylvanfan
04-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I think more skill should be given out for humour. Sometimes a great one-liner or a joke can really help you out during a tough day and they need just as much skill as sensible types who write nice, informative posts.

You're not talking about a guy who can (and often does) perform surgery after consuming 4 regular beers, but can't stand after two dome beers are ya?:D

tanguay'sstillgood
04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Good suggestion! And for those awesome photoshops!

I think this is a really good idea. For example, in the Wings Flames graphics thread there are some posters doing awesome work, one that stands out is Halifax Drunk, and I think I have seen some cool graphics from Alltherage too, and these people deserve kudos for spending their time to entertain us all.

I have mostly stayed away from the skill conversations on here, but I guess after reading this thread I will try to recommend posts that I see that I think deserve (usually positive, I think they negative ones probably stand out more to the mods) skill. I also want to say that I don't think the general community knowing who gives out the skill would be a good thing, as it would probably lead to some ass-kissing by some posters and more people just trying to repeat the opinions of the skill givers. I know I think differently when I am conversing with somebody who I know had the 'power of skill ratings', and I don't necessarily like it. Example, Jiri and I disagree about Playfair, and have had that conversation a few times, and whenever I talk to him I feel like I have to be a little more careful than usual...I wouldnt want to know everybody who gives skill because it could have too large an effect on what I say.

The reason I came in here though was to ask a question. When I look at the members list it seems like positive reputations are represented by green and negative is red (i.e. the original system). Is this true? And, if so, is there any way to change it to the red/blue to keep it consistent with the Flames/Oilers system? If not, I guess it's no big deal, as long as we know red = good in the forum and red = bad in the members list. Sorry if this has been covered before, but in my scan of this thread I didnt see it.

photon
04-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, that's always been on my list of things to fix, but haven't ever got around to it.

tanguay'sstillgood
04-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks. And another quick question, is skill only given in the main form, or is it also around for people who are always helping in the computer help thread, or for things in the OT forum, etc? I guess that would be kind of tough, and doesnt really indicate contributions to hockey discussion, but might recognize people as generally being helpful...?

photon
04-19-2007, 02:39 PM
We don't have any specific guidelines for the skill givers to avoid specific areas, so they would give skill for whatever they see as good for the board, be it in OT or wherever.

That said I suspect the focus is probably more on the main discussion forum.

jamesteterenko
04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I saw an interesting feature on another forum that I think would be really useful here. It was on the amazon.com customer discussion forum.

At the bottom of every post there is the following question, "Do you think this post adds to the discussion?" There are two buttons to click, yes or no. If there are a substantial number of no votes, then it shows up as if the user was in an ignore list. i.e. you don't see it by default, but you can see it if you really want to. You have to be logged in to vote, and it takes a few votes for it to dissapear. For an example, see here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionboard/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_dp_tft_tp/104-7794579-2870342?ie=UTF8&asin=B000NNDN1M&store=videogames&cdThread=Tx2JHLPAKMNA3XM).

I think that this would complement the existing features of this forum.

James.

photon
04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, similar to slashdot or digg.

The only downside to that is if someone has an unpopular opinion then their posts can get pushed down even though their thoughts are still valid or at least well reasoned.

EDIT: Plus that isn't in this forum software yet and I don't think I've seen an addon that does that; writing our own addon is pretty time consuming.

jamesteterenko
04-19-2007, 05:02 PM
The only downside to that is if someone has an unpopular opinion then their posts can get pushed down even though their thoughts are still valid or at least well reasoned.

I agree that it will probably impact how some people vote. However, the threshold should be high enough that fringe voters wouldn't impact it too much. In the example link I showed, I think that there were posts still visible where 5 of 5 votes felt the post did not contribute. They probably have it set that you have to have a fair number of votes and less than 10% finding it useful before it is blocked. A well thought out, but unpopular opinion, should get enough positive votes to stick around.

Anyway, something to think about if the software ever adds that feature.

James.

Flames09
04-20-2007, 01:55 AM
MOD EDIT: Removed, if you have a problem with a specific skill rating, take it up with the moderators.

Okay I will, PM sent! :)

SpitFire40
04-24-2007, 11:12 PM
What's up with the Comments on skill neg's? To me it's like the skill givers & takers take pride in rubbing your nose in it.

Do what you gotta do, leave your comment/reason and leave it at that.

moon
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Is there any way to see which posts got positive ratings?

It would be interesting to see the kind of posts that are getting the positive rep and to know how some people have two red squares when they should be at two or three blues.

looooob
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
What's up with the Comments on skill neg's? To me it's like the skill givers & takers take pride in rubbing your nose in it.

Do what you gotta do, leave your comment/reason and leave it at that.
not sure what you are saying here...should the skill givers leave comments or not leave comments?

SpitFire40
04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
not sure what you are saying here...should the skill givers leave comments or not leave comments?

Leave a comment, but do so without attitude. Do your job, but there is no reason to be a dick about it, all it does it annoy the poster (I.E Me) and make them pretty much flip the bird to the whole system.

Which is why I don't care about the system anymore, it's about as consistent as NHL officiating.

There are some Magoo's on the rating team, but there are also some McCreary's doing a great job and shut up outside of a swift and exact reason, then there are those like Magoo who like to prance around and be dinks about it.

Also, enough of this PM moderator stuff. There should be somewhere for people to talk about this system and to vent. If not, that's borderline Nazi.

SpitFire40
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
How new is the infraction system, I got a few of those puppies lately.

Infractions are different than skill.

JiriHrdina
04-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Also, enough of this PM moderator stuff. There should be somewhere for people to talk about this system and to vent. If not, that's borderline Nazi.

This thread suggests that we do have a place to talk about this stuff doesn't it?

If you have specific questions though about skill/infractions then you should PM the moderator.

When you start throwing out terms such as Nazi though it makes it very hard to want to spend anytime considering any of your points of view though.

photon
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Exactly. We are talking about ways we can improve the system over the summer, and we understand that sometimes skill givers give skill that is more in the realm of opinion or personal bias (they're human too).

"There should be somewhere for people to talk about this system and to vent. If not, that's borderline Nazi."

I don't see your posts being deleted, as long as you aren't discussing specific instances (or just complaining instead of discussing). A question was just asked to clarify what you were trying to say.

Comparing it to Nazis this is pretty dumb, I don't think you understand what you mean by that. A dictatorship is maybe more what you are going for. And in that case, yes it is a dictatorship.

If it was really either, we'd have had you shot looong ago :D

ken0042
04-26-2007, 02:25 PM
How new is the infraction system, I got a few of those puppies lately.

It's been around for a while- longer than I've been a mod. I believe it came along about the same time we switched to the new forum software; so a while anyways.

SpitFire40
04-26-2007, 04:06 PM
The fact that you guys are so touchy with the term nazi makes me scratch my head. It's a term often used in describing how some message boards are managed.

No offense intended to those sensitive to the term "Nazi" Dictatorship could've been used, but as a regular joe user I prefer the term Nazi ;)

timbit
04-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Mussolini was the ruler of a Fascist Dictatorship regime. Hitler was the ruler of the Nazi Party, an Authoritarian regime.
I can help you further with the differences, if you would like.

PM me.

Superfraggle
04-26-2007, 06:16 PM
The fact that you guys are so touchy with the term nazi makes me scratch my head. It's a term often used in describing how some message boards are managed.

No offense intended to those sensitive to the term "Nazi" Dictatorship could've been used, but as a regular joe user I prefer the term Nazi ;)

:blink: Are you really not aware of the connotations connected with the term "Nazi"? However you meant it, referring to anyone/anything as "Nazi" is a VERY negative term in Western culture.

Why? Oh I'm not sure...something about a big war where lots of people got killed...oh, and this Holocaust thingy...had something to do with attempted genocide.

Dictatorship is still generally negative, but not nearly so strong, and is actually more descriptive of what you were complaining about. So whichever term you "prefer" to use, "dictatorship" is far more likely to receive a constructive response and not make people so "touchy".

Although I'm not sure why either term was really necessary. You had already made your point.

SpitFire40
04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Wow... Political correctness can go to hell. I am well aware of WWII history and the dark shroud that surrounds the term "Nazi" but c'mon fraggle... take it easy.

I'd hate to see your reaction during the Seinfeld episode "The Soup Nazi" sheesh!

Superfraggle
04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow... Political correctness can go to hell. I am well aware of WWII history and the dark shroud that surrounds the term "Nazi" but c'mon fraggle... take it easy.

I'd hate to see your reaction during the Seinfeld episode "The Soup Nazi" sheesh!

Actually, I love the Soup Nazi episode. They were being funny. You were being serious. See the difference?

Regardless, you're welcome to your views on political correctness. But you shouldn't be surprised when people get defensive upon being related to Nazism.

SpitFire40
04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Nazi wasn't the best term...I'll admit that but I've had relatives die at the hands of the Nazi regime so I am sensitive to what they've done. I just think you went a little too PC on me there.

Anyway, let's move on...

Reggie Dunlop
04-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Can I nominate myself for a red square?

Freeway
05-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Mussolini was the ruler of a Fascist Dictatorship regime. Hitler was the ruler of the Nazi Party, an Authoritarian regime.
I can help you further with the differences, if you would like.

PM me.

To be more precise, Facist Italy was authoritarian (interested in nothing but keeping power). Nazi Germany was totalitarian (interested in seizing control of all areas of the public and private spheres for the purpose of societal transformation).

Resolute 14
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
So I see I got red dotted today. Am I, by chance, the first person to ever go from red to blue and back to red? I feel like a yo-yo, :lol:

Hemi-Cuda
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
So I see I got red dotted today. Am I, by chance, the first person to ever go from red to blue and back to red? I feel like a yo-yo, :lol:

i went from grey, to red, to grey, to blue, and then finally back to red. maybe we can get a prize for the most bi-polar member

J pold
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I went from black to blue, than just skipped black all together and went straight to red!

Bobblehead
05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I guess the real question is....

Has Skill altered how you post? Do you take an extra second to wonder if a post adds content or is just trolling/provoking/generally being a jerk?

J pold
05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I would like to think I that I am not a huge jerk and I do my best to respect everyone’s insight and opinion, and I have to say the hole idea of skill has changed the way I post….kind of like your mother always says think twice before you say something…well the skill has made me think twice before I post something

rubecube
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
kind of like your mother always says think twice before you say something

Really? Your mother loves it when I speak before I think. Something about a desert turning into a rainforest...

Azure
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
I guess the real question is....

Has Skill altered how you post? Do you take an extra second to wonder if a post adds content or is just trolling/provoking/generally being a jerk?

It has for me.

After getting a blue point for a hit and run post...I try not to do that anymore.

J pold
05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Really? Your mother loves it when I speak before I think. Something about a desert turning into a rainforest...
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/images/reputation/3.gif

Flame On
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I got my blue square towards the end of the season. Now it's very difficult to get rid of the shame due to little Flame content being around not to mention the lack of posters in the summer. So now they're not here to see my amazingly well thought out posts now.;)
Didn't help it was right in the middle of the Playfair wars. Oh well. It does make me think twice.
I just feel the blue skills are a lot harder to get rid of than is perhaps warranted.

Burninator
05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but someone having a blue doesn't affect my opinion of their post that much, if at all. I'll read pretty much every post in the thread that I am looking at. But if you have a blue square and make an exceptionally poor post then I am not really surprised. Unless your join is May 07 and you have a blue square chances are I won't respond to your post. If you've been here less than a month and somehow already attracted negative attention there is a good chance the discussion between us is not going to be worth the time. Just my two cents, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a blue square. But then again that's coming from someone with a red one, so you can take it for what it's worth. :D

CaramonLS
05-24-2007, 11:47 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but someone having a blue doesn't affect my opinion of their post that much, if at all. I'll read pretty much every post in the thread that I am looking at. But if you have a blue square and make an exceptionally poor post then I am not really surprised. Unless your join is May 07 and you have a blue square chances are I won't respond to your post. If you've been here less than a month and somehow already attracted negative attention there is a good chance the discussion between us is not going to be worth the time. Just my two cents, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a blue square. But then again that's coming from someone with a red one, so you can take it for what it's worth. :D

It does for me. I'm a Squarist.

rubecube
05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/images/reputation/3.gif

Good lord, what was I drinking?

Flames09
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Okay I think I've been good, real good can I please get rid of this ugly blue square?????

Azure
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I think a lot of the threads would be more of a pleasure to read if people would leave the personal side out of something they disagree with.

FlamesKickAss
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
im sad about my bluse square too. I made a ryan smyth comment :( it was worth it i guess

dustygoon
06-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Can i change my name to Amonte? I have experience but no skill.

RedHot25
06-15-2007, 05:58 AM

haha, that was good. cheesy, but good.

looks like you can't be good ole tony now, as you now have some skill it appears...

Azure
06-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Someone should hold you to that... ;)

guzzy
06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Are they suppose to tell you what you did to get the blue square? I didn't realize i was being negative and I ended up with one. I said the word tree hugger a few times, maybe the mods are green folk????!!!??:rolleyes:

ken0042
06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
The person who gave you your negative used 21 words to describe exactly why he/she gave it to you. I think that is sufficient.

FireFly
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Are they suppose to tell you what you did to get the blue square? I didn't realize i was being negative and I ended up with one. I said the word tree hugger a few times, maybe the mods are green folk????!!!??:rolleyes:

Click on User CP at the top left of the page and it'll tell you why you got your blue square.

Locke
06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Quick question, can you read all the comments?

I think its cool that you get a sort of subtle feedback, but you get a # of reputation points, but can only read the last comment? I got the other points without really knowing about the reputation system so I didnt think/know to check my userCP and didnt get to read them.

photon
06-20-2007, 05:14 PM
You should be able to see all your feedback comments, the # of points isn't actually a fixed number, it's not one point per feedback, it's more like 3 to 7 points per feedback, depending on a bunch of factors behind the scenes.

Locke
06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
You should be able to see all your feedback comments, the # of points isn't actually a fixed number, it's not one point per feedback, it's more like 3 to 7 points per feedback, depending on a bunch of factors behind the scenes.

Okay, I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

HOOT
06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
How come I went from Red to Blue...what did I do?

Azure
06-20-2007, 08:22 PM

You were bad!

photon
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM

Look up a few posts and it explains how to see the feedback.

Resolute 14
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
i went from grey, to red, to grey, to blue, and then finally back to red. maybe we can get a prize for the most bi-polar member

I'm back to blue... Got ya beat now in the bi-polar race. :lol:

Azure
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I should get an award for staying neutral. :lol:

Hemi-Cuda
06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I should get an award for staying neutral. :lol:

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/swiss-army-knife/victorinox-swiss-knife.jpg

Ro
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Read through most of this, and I still have one question-

Is there any method for the average Joe to nominate an exceptional post they feel is worthy of recognition?

I realize there are specific people who have been nominated/appointed to award the skill points, but more than a few times I have read a post and thought immediately afterward- "I hope that person gets a skill point for that," and wonder/hope the mods/skill point-givers at least noticed the post. For if they indeed missed it, and the poster missed out on a well deserved merit badge, the system has a serious flaw.

I've noticed that I can "Report" a post by clicking on the red warning logo at the bottom left side of each post, but I was under the impression that it was only to be used for offensive/childish/ridiculous posts that should be deleted. I have never used it myself- we self-police extremely well around here, and the mods do an amazing job with the actual offenders.

So, basically, my question is this- can I use that "report post" button to "tag" a post I feel is worthy of skill point consideration? If not, is there any way for me to do so?

I have to add that I am not campaigning to be added to the skill-giver squad- I don't spend enough time on the board, and, TBQO (trademark Darryl Sutter), I imagine it takes a lot of time and effort to do such things. And I respect that. It would just be nice to have the option of tagging that one post I read every couple of weeks that makes me think "I hope someone recognizes this one." Maybe it was recognized, but I just want to be sure.

Maybe people with ++ skill, or ++ exp. could be allowed to recommend a post per week or something like that? Anyways, interested to hear your thoughts. I think the feature is working quite well, and has had the intended positive effect on the quality of the posts. Cheers.

JiriHrdina
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Yup feel free to use the report function to recommend posts for positive rep.

Ro
07-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Yup feel free to use the report function to recommend posts for positive rep.

Awesome, THX for the quick reply Jiri.

4X4
07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, crap. I didn't get to post in the skill thread down below and now it's locked, so I guess I'll have to table my idea here...

I propose that we conduct an experiment. Allow only Fotze to vote on skill for 1 month. Let's see what happens...

Azure
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Heh...that would be pretty cool.

Azure
07-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Yay...still neutral...and loving it! :D

Azure
07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't feel like reading through the whole thread again....so...is there a way to categorize each skill set? Something what would show the mods or whoever which posters have one red square...one blue square..2 blue squares...so on and so forth?

photon
07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
I think you can order the member list by the feedback.. the display is wrong, but I'm pretty sure the order is correct.

Azure
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM
So you could say if there are more people with red squares...than blue ones? And how many are neutral?

Superfraggle
07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
So you could say if there are more people with red squares...than blue ones? And how many are neutral?

190 have red
174 have blue

Easy...you could've done that.

As for neutral, there are 5756 members...minus the 364 who have skill makes 5392 neutral. That doesn't account for infrequent posters, former posters, non-posters, etc.

Azure
08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh....duh! Nice to see more members with red squares. :)